What am I doing wrong

Options
So I started working out 3 weeks ago. 1 day walking (cardio) next day weights. It is a Leslie sansone workout video which I LOVE. I cut out a ton of junk and sugar. I can FEEL like I've lost weight and look a bit better but have gained!

SO my question is. I know as you gain muscle you may gain weight but look like you lost. BUT I really need to lose weight. Should I not work out as much or not do the weights (and only do walking) until I drop weight then add the weights back in? Just depressing seeing the scale go up or not move when I know I am working out and eating a lot better.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "Eating a lot better" isn't what generates weight loss. Eating at a calorie deficit does.

Are you tracking your calories? What is your calorie goal? How did you determine that goal? How much weight have you gained and over how long?
  • Monnie67
    Monnie67 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know I started in December and I'm now see some change and people are noticing that I have lost weight. Check and track your calories very closely. Remember muscle is heavier you just maybe bulking up with the weights and if that is so then you will see the scale go up. Try cutting down the weights do more walking. If you don't mind me asking how old are you ? and your round about weight, if you don't want to share that I understand.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Monnie67 wrote: »
    I know I started in December and I'm now see some change and people are noticing that I have lost weight. Check and track your calories very closely. Remember muscle is heavier you just maybe bulking up with the weights and if that is so then you will see the scale go up. Try cutting down the weights do more walking. If you don't mind me asking how old are you ? and your round about weight, if you don't want to share that I understand.

No. Aside from newbie gains, building muscle in a deficit does not happen.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that it could be water weight. However, you said three weeks.

With it being three weeks, it's more likely that it's overeating because of exercise. We are tired from a good burn, we grab a snack (even a healthy snack has calories), and we eat past what we should be consuming for the day. I was extremely guilty of this before.

If you want to know for sure, you will need to log everything, 100%. Get a food scale, and then you will know what you are putting in. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose. Find a healthy deficit, stick with it, and that number will move down. And don't be afraid of food groups. Eat the foods you enjoy, set yourself to good macros (and meet them), and log everything. If you log it, you don't have to avoid anything.

Lastly, with it being three weeks, my final guess is menstruation. I can gain 5+ pounds from just menses.

I hope this helps! :smiley:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're not gaining muscle. Could be water weight from your new exercise routine. Or your logging could be off and you're eating more than you think.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would continue doing the exercise you are doing. There should rarely be an occasion where less exercise is good. Are you tracking your calories? What have you calculated to be your fat loss calorie intake?

As a side note its "fat loss" you are looking for not "weight loss". The number on the scales is only one minor reading to pay attention to. How do you look in the mirror? how are your clothes feeling? How do you feel in yourself?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    askwera wrote: »
    So I started working out 3 weeks ago. 1 day walking (cardio) next day weights. It is a Leslie sansone workout video which I LOVE. I cut out a ton of junk and sugar. I can FEEL like I've lost weight and look a bit better but have gained!

SO my question is. I know as you gain muscle you may gain weight but look like you lost. BUT I really need to lose weight. Should I not work out as much or not do the weights (and only do walking) until I drop weight then add the weights back in? Just depressing seeing the scale go up or not move when I know I am working out and eating a lot better.

You have not gained muscle in 3 weeks. You will realistically not gain muscle with walking and doing workout videos, at least not enough muscle to affect the scale, in a year from now. Check your logging. You are eating more than you used to, even if it is healthier things.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    askwera wrote: »

1) start weighing and accurately logging your food - which will include double-checking the MFP calorie counts when you log something by the gram because a lot of entries are wrong

2) you may have water weight from your change in exercise but it's not muscle - not at this stage

3) sounds like you've made some great changes - and you can see them so that's good but you're right the scale should be moving

it will move when you eat less than you burn - so fix that part :)
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    ^ listen to this one shes fab.. :smiley:
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1. While cutting out junk and empty calories is beneficial to your health, it isn't going to automatically result in weight loss. As others have pointed out, the only factor that causes weight loss is eating at a caloric deficit. If weight loss was your only goal, it wouldn't matter what calories you consumed - a professor lost 27 pounds on the Twinkie Diet and others have lost weight eating exclusively at McDonald's. To be clear, I do not use and do not recommend either of those weight loss plans, I am only using them to illustrate that eating healthy foods is irrelevant to weight loss - it is the quantity of calories consumed that determines whether you lose, maintain, or gain weight. The quality of those calories is important to your health, so I strongly recommend combining your approach of eliminating low quality nutrition in favor of foods that provide you with better nutrition. You just need to start considering their caloric value as well.

2. What are your priorities? I am concerned that you are considering working out less in order to lose weight. Based on my experience, a weight loss at any cost approach does not lead to long term success. I've tried that many times in the past, and while I was good at losing weight (not to brag or anything, but I really am an outstanding dieter who repeatedly reached my goal weight), I struggled to maintain those losses for more than a few weeks.

What finally helped things click into place with me was shifting the focus away from losing weight to living a healthy life. I took the idea of weight loss off the table - how do I want to live my life if my weight never goes down? I have a husband and two grown children whose lives I want to remain a part of. I don't want to be burdened with health conditions related to obesity. I want to be able to live an active lifestyle and wear stylish clothes that fit comfortably and make me feel confident.

Once I got my priorities straight, it was a matter of figuring out a lifestyle that would result in me achieving those goals. I figured out a way of eating that was satisfying to me and would lead to good health. I chose to trust the process to yield long term results. If I consistently make healthy choices, I will achieve and maintain a healthy weight. The precise date on which that happens doesn't matter when you are looking at the big picture - what is really important is that I am making mindful decisions that are in line with achieving my goals. Life is constantly throwing potential obstacles at me that could (and sometimes temporarily do) get in the way of me achieving my goals - I have to be able to identify those obstacles and come up with a plan to overcome them.

Right now, the scale not moving is an obstacle for you. Is reducing or eliminating working out going to help you achieve your long term goals? How can you overcome this obstacle in a way that helps you achieve your goals?

3. I am a perfectionist. So seeing an increase in weight can potentially evoke some negative feelings in me, as much as I wish it wasn't so. Using the Trendweight website really helps with this. It helps me to focus on my long term goals rather than getting upset by a single weigh-in. It helps me to keep perspective when I see an unexpected weigh in - I know from my past experience that it will be temporary and followed by a nice drop in weight. I weigh myself often (a few times a week) which helps me detect patterns in how my weight changes so that I can anticipate many of those temporary weight gains.

Good luck to you. I hope you are able to continue on your journey toward achieving good health and reach your destination. It is a terrible place to visit (man, do you ever miss it when you are gone) but a wonderful place to live.