Quitting Added Sugar - Anyone doing this?

Options
Sash27
Sash27 Posts: 7 Member
Hello, starting over on MFP, would love some like-minded individuals to be friends here on MFP with. After doing some research on the negative effects of added sugar on health, I'm kicking it, but it's hard and could use some accountability. Overall, would love to just eat cleaner.

Replies

• Marco2oll
    Marco2oll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah I started drinking diet soda instead of regular. But I still crave sweet tea from Macdonald
  • r9o1n6
    r9o1n6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Trying , I would never recommend drinking diet soda it confuses the brain and can cause you to make more insulin. There have been numerous studies showing that you're better off drinking a sugary drink then drinking a diet soda
  • r9o1n6
    Options
    Marco2oll wrote: »
    Yeah I started drinking diet soda instead of regular. But I still crave sweet tea from Macdonald
    Trying , I would never recommend drinking diet soda it confuses the brain and can cause you to make more insulin. There have been numerous studies showing that you're better off drinking a sugary drink then drinking a diet soda
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    r9o1n6 wrote: »

Can you cite your sources for this information?
  • r9o1n6
    Options

The Bad

Although the calorie-free aspect of diet soda may sound enticing to those trying to maintain a healthy weight, don’t be fooled. It has been suggested that diet soda actually contributes to weight gain, not weight loss. “Artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas have been found to increase sugar cravings because it’s not a natural source of sugar and the brain continues to seek the real deal,” Marissa Puleo, a registered licensed dietitian explained to Medical Daily. “This can lead to increased eating and drinking because your body isn’t satisfied.” One study even suggested that along with increasing desire for fattening foods, the artificial flavoring in diet soda actually interfered with the natural bacteria in our guts, making us less tolerant of glucose.
  • EllenFlickner
    EllenFlickner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i cut all soda from my diet, stay away from sweet treats as much as possible, when craving something sweet I reach for a sweet piece of fruit. I still drink some fruit juices, but trying to cut them too and stick to non-sugary drinks and food.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

The Bad

Although the calorie-free aspect of diet soda may sound enticing to those trying to maintain a healthy weight, don’t be fooled. It has been suggested that diet soda actually contributes to weight gain, not weight loss. “Artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas have been found to increase sugar cravings because it’s not a natural source of sugar and the brain continues to seek the real deal,” Marissa Puleo, a registered licensed dietitian explained to Medical Daily. “This can lead to increased eating and drinking because your body isn’t satisfied.” One study even suggested that along with increasing desire for fattening foods, the artificial flavoring in diet soda actually interfered with the natural bacteria in our guts, making us less tolerant of glucose.

This says can and suggests not does and show. There are plenty of people who drink diet soda who don't have weight issues. I personally don't know anyone who has gained weight from diet coke but I do know people who have gained from drinking too much coke.
  • r9o1n6
    Options

The Bad

This says can and suggests not does and show. There are plenty of people who drink diet soda who don't have weight issues. I personally don't know anyone who has gained weight from diet coke but I do know people who have gained from drinking too much coke.

And a very large number of those people drinking diet soda are overweight and they wonder why they cannot lose the weight is because they're drinking the diet soda diet sodas one of the worst things made our bodies is not made to process the fake artificial sugars
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    <---- yup super morbidly obese because i drink diet soda every day.Show me the statistics that say most diet soda drinks are overweight.

Weight gain is from consuming more calories than you burn.
  • r9o1n6
    Options
    <---- yup super morbidly obese because i drink diet soda every day.Show me the statistics that say most diet soda drinks are overweight.

Lol
  • r9o1n6
    Options

Weight gain is from consuming more calories than you burn so I'm going to eat 1800 calories and burn 1800 calories I would be dead. Not mad at you you just have to educate yourself a little bit more on how calorie burning works
  • r9o1n6
    Options

The premise: Many soda drinkers opt for diet over regular, thinking that the zero calories and zero sugar makes the drink a healthier option. But the scientific evidence backing up that idea is lacking. In fact, a 2005 study reported that people who drink diet soda instead of regular don’t lose any extra weight. Rather, they gain weight. Now, a new nine-year study finds a connection between drinking diet soft drinks and an increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
  • r9o1n6
    Options

So enjoy
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Hahahahahahahaha

How long have you been on mfp? Everyone has a tdee which is your BMR (what your body burns just to survive) plus the calorie burn from your daily activities. Mine is 1650. This means that if I eat 1650 I will maintain my weight. If I eat more I gain and if I eat less I lose. So if I ate 1800 and burnt 1800 I would maintain my weight.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Oh I looked. You just joined today to rant about diet soda.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    @r9o1n6 I'm sorry, you are quite misinformed.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @arditarose I guess I am dead as I am running a small deficit.
  • r9o1n6
    Options
    Hahahahahahahaha

How long have you been on mfp? Everyone has a tdee which is your BMR (what your body burns just to survive) plus the calorie burn from your daily activities. Mine is 1650. This means that if I eat 1650 I will maintain my weight. If I eat more I gain and if I eat less I lose. So if I ate 1800 and burnt 1800 I would maintain my weight.

Omg lmao you are toooo funny. You need some school in your life. Listen to what you're saying if you eat 1800 calories and burn 1800 calories everyday you would have zero calories in your body you definitely need school.
  • r9o1n6
    Options
    Hahahahahahahaha

Omg lmao you are toooo funny. You need some school in your life. Listen to what you're saying if you eat 1800 calories and burn 1800 calories everyday you would have zero calories in your body you definitely need school.
    Hahahahahahahaha

Unless you're on that anorexic diet
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    @arditarose I guess I am dead as I am running a small deficit.

methinks troll