Strength training advice

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm finally back at the gym and have decided I want to get serious about strength training. I have a decent amount of pain issues that would ease if I can strengthen the connected muscles. As a much larger woman I'm trying to ease into this slowly so I don't hurt myself. The plan is to try and start mixing a few things in with my cardio routine.

Does anyone have good recommendations on different exercises I can do? Has anyone had any success with their routine not just in losing weight but in reducing pain?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The two that are popularly quoted are:
    • Strong Lifts 5x5
    • icecream fitness

Do not be put off by the fact that these are often (incorrectly) seen as "bodybuilding" programs and as such are often used by young men aiming to "get swole" and "get teh gunz". In fact, they are good, solid, sensible prgrams for learning the basic lifts and progressing in ability (strength).

Do not think that as a larger woman people are looking at you negatively when you are strength training - you will be receive as much admiration as anything else in your endeavors (unless you hog the squat rack, in that instance everyone will hate you LOL)

Do hire a PT to show you the basics of good form and ensure that you are not putting undue strain on your joints and connective tissue.

Best wishes
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    • Strong Lifts 5x5
    • icecream fitness

Do not be put off by the fact that these are often (incorrectly) seen as "bodybuilding" programs and as such are often used by young men aiming to "get swole" and "get teh gunz". In fact, they are good, solid, sensible prgrams for learning the basic lifts and progressing in ability (strength).

Do not think that as a larger woman people are looking at you negatively when you are strength training - you will be receive as much admiration as anything else in your endeavors (unless you hog the squat rack, in that instance everyone will hate you LOL)

Do hire a PT to show you the basics of good form and ensure that you are not putting undue strain on your joints and connective tissue.

Best wishes

^^^^^^^
    I have been doing SL5X5 for a month and I am thoroughly enjoying it and seeing good results. I have gained strength and my knees are much less painful when doing higher impact exercise now that I am actively strength training. I'm a 39 year old female with decidedly dodgy joints - I am hypermobile and have injured knees, hips and ankles so many times that they are often painful. I had to give up ballet aged 19 because too much pointe work ruined my ankle. I then became less and less active and piled on the weight. I've yo-yo-ed over the last 15 years and finally decided to get it sorted before I'm 40! I lost 4 stone with mfp and had wanted to start strength training for ages but was scared of that part of the gym as it's always full of pumped up guys. However, I wish I had started earlier so all I can say is go for it! I would recommend 5x5 because it's simple to follow but do a little research and find a programme you like the look of. Good luck!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just want to share my experience as a larger woman who had some of the same concerns. Depending on your current level of fitness and knowledge, you may not be ready to start working with free weights. If possible, get a trainer to evaluate and help you determine where to start. If you belong to a gym, they frequently offer at least an intro session to show you how to work the equipment if you don't want to hire a regular trainer.

I started five years ago and used body weight exercises, machines, and dumbbells before i worked up to using the barbell (such as the strong lifts program). Even the bar with no added weight can be too heavy when you first start - it was for me. But now I love the barbell, and am currently training for my second power lifting meet.

Be patient, but keep pushing yourself and be ready to move into Strong Lifts or another program as soon as you can. Google some circuit training routines using common machines. Machines are not popular with many because they have limitations, but better those limitations then injury if you are not ready for the big kid weights yet.

TLTR: start with machines if you are not strong enough to use free weights yet
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    debsbiggs wrote: »
    • Strong Lifts 5x5
    • icecream fitness

Best wishes

^^^^^^^
    I have been doing SL5X5 for a month and I am thoroughly enjoying it and seeing good results. I have gained strength and my knees are much less painful when doing higher impact exercise now that I am actively strength training. I'm a 39 year old female with decidedly dodgy joints - I am hypermobile and have injured knees, hips and ankles so many times that they are often painful. I had to give up ballet aged 19 because too much pointe work ruined my ankle. I then became less and less active and piled on the weight. I've yo-yo-ed over the last 15 years and finally decided to get it sorted before I'm 40! I lost 4 stone with mfp and had wanted to start strength training for ages but was scared of that part of the gym as it's always full of pumped up guys. However, I wish I had started earlier so all I can say is go for it! I would recommend 5x5 because it's simple to follow but do a little research and find a programme you like the look of. Good luck!

All of this!! I'm on week 5 of Stronglifts 5x5. And all I can say is I wish I had started sooner. We've had this equipment in our garage for a year. I should have started then! I started walking daily at the beginning of this year. I was walking 3-4 miles a day every day in January, and I had one knee hurt all the time. I was constantly wrapping it and icing it in order to be able to walk the next day. Then I decided to stop walking and start lifting. I haven't had any more knee pain! The 5x5 squats have really helped!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great programs. Also check out Jamie Eason Livefit trainer. Great beginner program. Best of luck to you!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't use lifting to lose weight per sae, but lifting certainly have eased a lot of pain in my connective tissues & joints I deal with. Also back at yoga now my joints are too swollen, I might suggest you add yoga as well to deal with pain and just over all becoming a better lifter.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the recommendations for Stronglifts 5x5. Easy to follow because it's fairly simple and basically free. I modify to use with dumbells for some of the routines because even though I own a barbell I don't have a rack so can't squat with a barbell right now. So even if you don't own a barbell some dumbells with adjustable weights would probably be a fine place to start. Also You Are Your Own Gym, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women (I got the book from the library before I committed and bought it).
  • chrisdell21
    chrisdell21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely have to take a look at this Stronglifts 5x5 everyone is recommending. You guys are great
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Another vote for StrongLifts here -- I also run and go to spin class
  • Jessika29669
    Jessika29669 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Please, please, PLEASE be sure to get with someone who has experience or watch a lot of videos on proper form. If you don't have proper form when you lift you can cause more injury to your existing pain spots, as well as create whole new ones, plus not get quality lifts, and that's what we all want right?! I started with a 4 week A, B program before moving into the 5x5 program. 3 sets of 5 Squats, Bench Press, and deadlift for workout "A" Mon, Weds, & Fri--then the next week workout "B", 3 sets of 5 squats, overhead press, and deadlift, then alternating between A & B each week until my form was solid and I was back to feeling comfortable with the movements once again (used to be fit and lift regularly LOL, long way from my goal but I will get there again!) . Best of luck to you!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Please, please, PLEASE be sure to get with someone who has experience or watch a lot of videos on proper form. If you don't have proper form when you lift you can cause more injury to your existing pain spots, as well as create whole new ones, plus not get quality lifts, and that's what we all want right?! I started with a 4 week A, B program before moving into the 5x5 program. 3 sets of 5 Squats, Bench Press, and deadlift for workout "A" Mon, Weds, & Fri--then the next week workout "B", 3 sets of 5 squats, overhead press, and deadlift, then alternating between A & B each week until my form was solid and I was back to feeling comfortable with the movements once again (used to be fit and lift regularly LOL, long way from my goal but I will get there again!) . Best of luck to you!

I second this. StrongLifts assumes you're male. It tells you to add 5-10 pounds every time you lift. This is waaaaay too much for a beginner still working on form, especially if you're a woman. Don't be afraid to stay at the sMe weight for weeks if you need to. Or purchase fractional weights online so you can add very small increments in weight. Also, StrongLifts wants you to start deadlifting with 95 pounds. Don't do it! Use less weight and put the weighted barbell on Step risers or power cage safety bars to get it to the correct height (about 8 inches off the floor). Get the book Starting Strength and read it. Watch videos. And listen to your body. I didn't think I was lifting much weight (70-75 pounds) but turns out it was too much because apparently I have form issues...I have strained back muscles twice, which kept me out of the gym for 2-4 weeks.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

I second this. StrongLifts assumes you're male. It tells you to add 5-10 pounds every time you lift. This is waaaaay too much for a beginner still working on form, especially if you're a woman. Don't be afraid to stay at the sMe weight for weeks if you need to. Or purchase fractional weights online so you can add very small increments in weight. Also, StrongLifts wants you to start deadlifting with 95 pounds. Don't do it! Use less weight and put the weighted barbell on Step risers or power cage safety bars to get it to the correct height (about 8 inches off the floor). Get the book Starting Strength and read it. Watch videos. And listen to your body. I didn't think I was lifting much weight (70-75 pounds) but turns out it was too much because apparently I have form issues...I have strained back muscles twice, which kept me out of the gym for 2-4 weeks.

Actually I was going to recommend Starting Strength but, despite being the program that all other seem to be based on, it is less well known than Ice Cream Fitness or Starting Strength. So good call.

Starting Strength has specific notes for women on progression of weight and has a couple of sessions dedicated to fining your start weight for all lifts.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    strength training is awesome for everyone, regardless of body weight. But just remember if you are overweight, you are already working out with extra built in weights. Meaning you don't necessarily have to use hand held weights when strength training, and it could put unnecessary burden on your already struggling painful body. Definitely go through the strength training movements, and work on form and getting used to them, and only add hand held weight as your own body weight starts dropping. And you can even use assistance, such as with squats, to take off some weight and make the exercise doable. Look up assisted squats or the other exercises to see how you can use a ropes or other things to assist and take off some weight the movement. the more weight you lose the less you will be in pain. make sure you are eating right.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I don't use lifting to lose weight per sae, but lifting certainly have eased a lot of pain in my connective tissues & joints I deal with. Also back at yoga now my joints are too swollen, I might suggest you add yoga as well to deal with pain and just over all becoming a better lifter.

+1. I was going to say that same. I agree with the advice for SL as well, it's a great beginner program. Yoga is also great, it's easy to get into and you don't even have to join a class - there are plenty of videos online. Yoga for me has also helped me with my strength/flexibility/joint strength, etc., especially when used in tandem with a program like Stronglifts.