does lifting weights burn fat?

Options
Would lifting weights at home help me burn fat and build muscle? Let's say I followed a YouTube video like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred?

Replies

• Rebek_h
    Rebek_h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It does for me. I haven't been following a specific diet the passed two weeks but weight lifting and I have lost over 4lb and down 2.5% bodyfat which I read is pretty good. Can see it on my stomach and face already and I do little to no cardio.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No. Weight lifting in isolation does not burn fat. Only a calorie deficit burns fat.

Fat is consumed by your body requiring to use its stores of energy (fat) because you create a calorie deficit, which means you consume less energy (calories) than you use.

How you create this calorie deficit is up to you.

• elsesvan
    elsesvan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes in the long run it will. Muscles uses more energy than fat. So keep on working out with weightlifting ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you eat in a caloric deficit, your body will turn to its fat stores to get the additional energy that it needs. Achieve a caloric deficit by eating less, moving more, or a combination of those two things. Lifting weights = moving more just like any other activity.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As far I can guess, fat is a source of energy..eat less and your body uses it..move more and your body uses it as well. Lifting weights is a form of movement that requires energy.

BTW I like heavy lifting and the way my body reacts to it.. <3
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any sort of exercise, whether cardio or weight training, is going to burn your glycogen stores first. Once they are burned off, then your body turns to fat as a fuel source. The difference between weight training and doing cardio, is that when you stop the cardio, you are also stopping the burning of calories essentially, but with weight training, you are breaking down the muscle fibers, so even when you stop, the body continues to burn calories while rebuilding the muscle, so the calorie burn can last significantly longer than the actual work out itself.

There is actual science behind this, but that is my basic understanding.

So all that said, if given a choice of 30 min of weight training vs 30 minutes of cardio, I'll always pick the weight training. Weight loss is approximately 75% diet, 15% weight training, and 10% cardio, give or take.
  • timmyray3
    timmyray3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, do more weight lifting than cardio. You deplete glycogen stores in the muscles more effectively with weight training than you would with cardio. So if you wanna get the most 'bang for your buck' prioritise weight training over cardio. To increase effectiveness you will need to gradually increase the intensity of your training over time, so either increase reps, sets or weight session by session.

Couple this with a healthy diet that keeps you in a calorie deficit (consume less food that you burn) would mean that your body will have to start metabolising fat.

If you have time a 30 min weight session followed by some low intensity cardio will have the most effectiveness. the weight training will deplete glycogen stores as mentioned before and will also help to free up or mobilise body fat for use as fuel. so when you finish the weight training and go for your light cardio (even a brisk walk will do here) your body will start to burn the fat that has been mobilised during your weight training.

gimme a shout if you need any more info. and good luck with the weight loss!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Any sort of exercise, whether cardio or weight training, is going to burn your glycogen stores first. Once they are burned off, then your body turns to fat as a fuel source. The difference between weight training and doing cardio, is that when you stop the cardio, you are also stopping the burning of calories essentially, but with weight training, you are breaking down the muscle fibers, so even when you stop, the body continues to burn calories while rebuilding the muscle, so the calorie burn can last significantly longer than the actual work out itself.

So all that said, if given a choice of 30 min of weight training vs 30 minutes of cardio, I'll always pick the weight training. Weight loss is approximately 75% diet, 15% weight training, and 10% cardio, give or take.

Weight loss is 100% calorie deficit. How you create that deficit (eat less, cardio, weights) is up to the individual.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Weight loss is 100% calorie deficit. How you create that deficit (eat less, cardio, weights) is up to the individual.

The point being, that for most people it is easier to make up the caloric deficit through diet, then weights, and lastly cardio. For myself, I'd need to do 2 hrs of cardio to get the same deficit that I can get through diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - here is a rule of thumb for you:

1. Straight calorie deficit for weight loss.
    2. Exercise and weight training are for general health and body composition goals, and really do not lead to weight loss.
    3. macro and micro adherence as one wants to get leaner and have more aggressive body comp goals.

If you are gong to follow a weight lifting regimen I would suggest a good beginner program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine which will give you a good introduction to compound movement and build a foundation of strength; however, this assumes that you can join a gym that has barbells, squat racks, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fat burning is a bi-product of less energy coming in than going out...body fat is then utilized to make up for the deficiency in energy.

in and of itself, there are no exercises that burn fat...regular exercise, whether cardiovascular or resistance will increase energy expenditure though...which is a good thing and will make weight management in general easier.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

The point being, that for most people it is easier to make up the caloric deficit through diet, then weights, and lastly cardio. For myself, I'd need to do 2 hrs of cardio to get the same deficit that I can get through diet.

That was my point. You don't have to do 10% cardio or 15% weight training to lose weight; all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    elsesvan wrote: »
    Yes in the long run it will. Muscles uses more energy than fat. So keep on working out with weightlifting ;)

Disappointingly, it's quite negligible. About 50 calories a day for me, with my hard earned 5lb ish extra muscle I built.
    Not worth getting excited about. It always comes down to the food sadly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    fat burning is a bi-product of less energy coming in than going out...body fat is then utilized to make up for the deficiency in energy.

in and of itself, there are no exercises that burn fat...regular exercise, whether cardiovascular or resistance will increase energy expenditure though...which is a good thing and will make weight management in general easier.

cosign
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Options

Disappointingly, it's quite negligible. About 50 calories a day for me, with my hard earned 5lb ish extra muscle I built.

It's actually probably less than that. The last time I check, each lb of muscle equates to roughly 6 additional calories burned per lb of muscle.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It's actually probably less than that. The last time I check, each lb of muscle equates to roughly 6 additional calories burned.

PER DAY??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Would lifting weights at home help me burn fat and build muscle? Let's say I followed a YouTube video like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred?
    Not necessarily. You burn calories when you exercise. Lifting weights with high reps DOESN'T build muscle, it builds muscular endurance. And building muscle not only involves lifting in volume, but EATING to gain it. And that normally means a surplus, which means you gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    It does for me. I haven't been following a specific diet the passed two weeks but weight lifting and I have lost over 4lb and down 2.5% bodyfat which I read is pretty good. Can see it on my stomach and face already and I do little to no cardio.
    You're losing fat from eating less, and not gaining muscle, but retaining what muscle you currently have.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It's actually probably less than that. The last time I check, each lb of muscle equates to roughly 6 additional calories burned.

PER DAY??

Sorry, you caught me before my edit. Each lb of muscle gained = 6 extra calories. So you would theoretically burn an additional 30 calories from the additional 5 lbs and any increases in NEAT from the additional weight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's more complicated than that though. There are lots and lots of people that lift weights in the gym week in and week out, but see no body changes because they aren't eating in a deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png