Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sirt food diet

OishiiOishii Posts: 2,629Member Member Posts: 2,629Member Member
This diet was in all the papers and magazines this New Year in the UK, I don't know about elsewhere. Is it 100% mumbo jumbo or are there elements of truth to it?
«1

Replies

  • ndj1979ndj1979 Posts: 29,021Member Member Posts: 29,021Member Member
    any diet that says that certain foods are going to turn on your fat burning gene is a bunch of woo woo ...

    why not just use MFP to track your calories for free, eat in a 500 calorie deficit, get a food scale, exercise, and hit micros and macros.....????

  • Sued0nimSued0nim Posts: 17,504Member Member Posts: 17,504Member Member
    "Welcome to the official Sirt Food Diet - the revolutionary way to lose 7lb in 7 days. Add healthy Sirt foods to your diet for effective and sustained weight loss, incredible energy and glowing health.

    Switch on your body's fat-burning powers, supercharge weight loss and help stave off disease with this easy-to-follow diet developed by the experts in nutritional medicine who proved the impact of Sirtfoods.

    Dark chocolate, coffee, kale - these are all foods that activate sirtuins and switch on the so-called 'skinny gene' pathways in the body. These are the same pathways more commonly activated by fasting and exercise - meaning they help the body to burn fat, increase muscle and improve health.

    Based on trials that showed an increase in lean muscle, as well as consistent weight loss of 7lbs over the course of just one week, The Sirtfood Diet is revolutionizing sports nutrition and healthy eating."

    you. are. fricking. kidding. me

    :bigsmile:
  • jgnatcajgnatca Posts: 14,495Member Member Posts: 14,495Member Member
    Thanks, @rabbitjb for saving me from following a link. OP, there is no such thing a sirt.
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 4,022Member Member Posts: 4,022Member Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    "Welcome to the official Sirt Food Diet - the revolutionary way to lose 7lb in 7 days. Add healthy Sirt foods to your diet for effective and sustained weight loss, incredible energy and glowing health.

    Switch on your body's fat-burning powers, supercharge weight loss and help stave off disease with this easy-to-follow diet developed by the experts in nutritional medicine who proved the impact of Sirtfoods.

    Dark chocolate, coffee, kale - these are all foods that activate sirtuins and switch on the so-called 'skinny gene' pathways in the body. These are the same pathways more commonly activated by fasting and exercise - meaning they help the body to burn fat, increase muscle and improve health.

    Based on trials that showed an increase in lean muscle, as well as consistent weight loss of 7lbs over the course of just one week, The Sirtfood Diet is revolutionizing sports nutrition and healthy eating."

    you. are. fricking. kidding. me

    :bigsmile:

    As usual--you. done. good. B)
  • richlnrichln Posts: 811Member Member Posts: 811Member Member
    Looks like they have all the buzzwords and ridiculous nutrition industry cliches covered. Even has celebrity endorsements and a clever marketing hook. This should sell a lot of copies.
  • Need2Exerc1seNeed2Exerc1se Posts: 13,589Member Member Posts: 13,589Member Member
    If it was truly a revolutionary diet breakthrough we wouldn't have to buy a book to know all about it. Public health organizations would be spreading the word for free.
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Posts: 29,021Member Member Posts: 29,021Member Member
    richln wrote: »
    Looks like they have all the buzzwords and ridiculous nutrition industry cliches covered. Even has celebrity endorsements and a clever marketing hook. This should sell a lot of copies.

    seriously, I am in the wrong the business....
  • ManiacalLaughManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048Member Member Posts: 1,048Member Member
    Dark chocolate and coffee? SMH - I should look like I have an eating disorder by now then.
  • bpetroskybpetrosky Posts: 3,715Member Member Posts: 3,715Member Member
    Are your body's fat burning powers like Wonder Twin powers? Do you have to fist bump to activate them?
  • OishiiOishii Posts: 2,629Member Member Posts: 2,629Member Member
    I put this in the Nutritional Debate category for a reason: i'm not asking for advice. Therefore, please don't try giving me advice!

    I lose weight faster than I 'should' according to any calculator, so I am always fascinated by any research that might suggest a reason why (the obvious answer is that I log too many calories, but that goes against all research of people's logging, so I am always open to other possibilities). The first seven days of this diet are clearly a success because you eat very little, but what interests me is the notion of 'sirt' foods. Having been on mfp for years, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I would love to know their opinions of the mechanism described.
  • CollieFitCollieFit Posts: 1,683Member Member Posts: 1,683Member Member
    The so called skinny gene pathways......................................

    :|
  • Sued0nimSued0nim Posts: 17,504Member Member Posts: 17,504Member Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    I put this in the Nutritional Debate category for a reason: i'm not asking for advice. Therefore, please don't try giving me advice!

    I lose weight faster than I 'should' according to any calculator, so I am always fascinated by any research that might suggest a reason why (the obvious answer is that I log too many calories, but that goes against all research of people's logging, so I am always open to other possibilities). The first seven days of this diet are clearly a success because you eat very little, but what interests me is the notion of 'sirt' foods. Having been on mfp for years, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I would love to know their opinions of the mechanism described.

    Can you find any peer reviewed scientific study with decent numbers of participants and protocols that supports the notion of SIRT foods?

    or identifies a skinny gene?

    or supports any single contention in that book blurb?
  • yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    This diet was in all the papers and magazines this New Year in the UK, I don't know about elsewhere. Is it 100% mumbo jumbo or are there elements of truth to it?

    Sirtuins appear to be a thing http://symposium.cshlp.org/content/72/483.long and there's some connection with metabolism (at least in animal models) :-


    iwc3nr8mtdbb.png
  • yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member
    An RCT of resveratrol http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S155041311100386X shows various changes not all of which would be beneficial to weight loss but reduced liver fat content and improved insulin sensitivity were observed. Metabolic rate reduced in a similar way to it does on calorie restriction.
  • singingfluteladysingingflutelady Posts: 8,629Member Member Posts: 8,629Member Member
    Gain lean muscle while losing 7 lbs in a week? Oh I wish that is how it worked
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Posts: 29,021Member Member Posts: 29,021Member Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    I put this in the Nutritional Debate category for a reason: i'm not asking for advice. Therefore, please don't try giving me advice!

    I lose weight faster than I 'should' according to any calculator, so I am always fascinated by any research that might suggest a reason why (the obvious answer is that I log too many calories, but that goes against all research of people's logging, so I am always open to other possibilities). The first seven days of this diet are clearly a success because you eat very little, but what interests me is the notion of 'sirt' foods. Having been on mfp for years, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I would love to know their opinions of the mechanism described.

    if you are losing weight faster then you "should" then why is the answer that you are logging too many calories? If anything that you indicate that you are not logging enough calories…

    do you use a food scale?
    log every bit of food you eat?
    what is your activity level?

    finally, a calculator is just that a calculator is meant to be a guideline for people, it is not going to peg everyones TDEE exactly, because calculator….
  • positivepowerspositivepowers Posts: 902Member Member Posts: 902Member Member
    If the diet worked I would weigh 98 lbs soaking wet . . .
  • senecarrsenecarr Posts: 5,377Member Member Posts: 5,377Member Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    I put this in the Nutritional Debate category for a reason: i'm not asking for advice. Therefore, please don't try giving me advice!

    I lose weight faster than I 'should' according to any calculator, so I am always fascinated by any research that might suggest a reason why (the obvious answer is that I log too many calories, but that goes against all research of people's logging, so I am always open to other possibilities). The first seven days of this diet are clearly a success because you eat very little, but what interests me is the notion of 'sirt' foods. Having been on mfp for years, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I would love to know their opinions of the mechanism described.

    There are a number of reasons to lose faster than you should.
    1. You are logging calorie counts of foods higher than they are. Potential reasons for this include estimating servings as larger than they are, or if using a scale, possibly having it malfunction and weighing things as heavier than they are. Other potential errors in this category could include using the entry for an item cooked, but weighing it raw.
    2. Water weight. Initial weight loss often comes from water, including water lost by lowering glycogen stores. This removes weight faster expected because removing glucose from the body removes more water weight than removing triglycerides and fatty acids that draw less water out when leaving the body. Such factors would only tend to happen initially, and less likely if loss is sustained at a faster than expected pace.
    3. Higher TDEE than projected. This could include several things, such as thinking one is sedentary, but being a pacer or other habit such that a person takes thousands of steps more than expected. One dietitian lecturer I listened to noted this pacing habit in one of her students and it turned out that his pacing while studying meant he was going through far more 10,000 steps above the expectation for his life style. The student was potentially burning a 1,000 calories or more than his projections. People who fidget and twitch also fall into this category.
    4. Higher BMR than normal. This would technically also raise TDEE, but honestly, the chances of this are rare. Most people with BMR's that are significantly above baseline have other major medical issues that are far more noticeable than the actual high calorie burn. Lizzie Velásquez is an example individual. Her metabolism is estimated at I believe 4,700 kcal / day because of issues. More noticeable than her calorie count is things like blindness in one eye, skin conditions, and other health issues from having a high, inefficient metabolism.
  • richlnrichln Posts: 811Member Member Posts: 811Member Member
    Oishii wrote: »
    I put this in the Nutritional Debate category for a reason: i'm not asking for advice. Therefore, please don't try giving me advice!

    I lose weight faster than I 'should' according to any calculator, so I am always fascinated by any research that might suggest a reason why (the obvious answer is that I log too many calories, but that goes against all research of people's logging, so I am always open to other possibilities). The first seven days of this diet are clearly a success because you eat very little, but what interests me is the notion of 'sirt' foods. Having been on mfp for years, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I would love to know their opinions of the mechanism described.

    I may or may not be very knowledgeable, but here is my opinion of the mechanism described.
    First, you find a find an obscure component of human biology that is somehow related to the vector you want to exploit as a basis for your argument, and is documented in some scientific literature as having potentially desirable benefits, but very under-researched.

    The target audience sees the ad for your book, and thinks: "What is a SIRT? I don't know, but you say it is related to increasing metabolism and fighting diseases? Great! The only thing I can find out about it from Google is a bunch of info that I don't understand, because I am not a specialist in the field. Fortunately, now someone has written a book about how I can use that knowledge in practice to apply to my diet to lose fat and avoid disease!"
    This is the marketing hook that I mentioned. Bonus points because the studies that do exist involve references to the possibility of manipulating sirtuins for treatment of cancer, diabetes, and aging. Sounds very impressive.

    Now you just have to build a science-y sounding argument to support your claims. Since the claimed benefits of the topic in question are under-studied, this is pretty easy, because we have several preliminary papers that show possible benefits that warrant further study. How do we activate sirtuins? Resveratrol? Perfect! Everybody gets to eat chocolate and drink wine! The authors of the book claim to have Master's degrees in Nutritional Medicine, so building a somewhat plausible argument here should be easy for them.

    I don't know anything about the authors, and I don't know anything about the scientific references they used in the book, but I would be willing to bet it is very heavily influenced by confirmation bias. This is a particularly annoying modern trend that is unfortunately very profitable. For example, take this criticism of the science research used by Dave Asprey, author of The Bulletproof Diet. From: http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467
    "There are no peer-reviewed studies that corroborate the idea that eating nothing but fat (and caffeine) in the morning, sets you up for burning body fat. Conversely, the majority of the studies Asprey sites for his diet were done on rats and mice. Some were four decades old. Some used humans, but in incredibly small numbers. One study's entire sample consisted of two people. One was just on rats with an auto-immune kidney disease.

    This is what's known as confirmation bias. For those unfamiliar with the concept, it's when you start with a conclusion and then go looking for evidence to support it, generally ignoring evidence that may contradict it. It is the opposite of good science."


    From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/the-bulletproof-diet-simplistic-invalid-and-unscientific/
    "Prof Paul Garner, director of the Effective Health Care Research Consortium at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, describes the Bulletproof Diet as “extraordinary” and the references Asprey gives to support it “unreliable … highly selective, many over 30 years old, of one or two patients.

    “Very few of the references are of current research, and most is picking out studies that are of low or very low quality, none of which is put into the context of other research or systematic reviews.”

    Garner says it doesn’t take a scientist to point out that a study of two people published in 1976 is suspect. “It’s just not credible to build this kind of commercial fiction on this.”"


    And you have this nice account from one of Asprey's former employees in charge of finding supporting references for Asprey's books:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/1keybu/armi_legge_tells_how_he_became_a_writer_for_a/
    He alleged that Asprey would just use a bunch of scientific references that are somewhat positively related to his argument, even if they didn't make sense in the context of the point he was trying to convey. Most people don't read the references anyway.

    I am not alleging that Asprey is full of it or that Bulletproof coffee is just a marketing gimmick. Maybe it is great, I don't know, I have never tried it. And maybe the Sirt Diet is great and actually lives up to all of its claims. I don't know, and I am not going to try it, because everything on the website describing the book tells me that it is completely marketing nonsense. Like Rabbit mentioned, if science ever develops a strong argument to support it, everyone will know all about it, and you won't have to buy a single author's book to read a single person's evaluation and application of the science.
Sign In or Register to comment.