Old habits die hard: help!

Options
Hi everyone. I am really struggling to break out of 2 very specific mental blocks. I'm at my wit's end and really don't know what to do. Here's what I'm struggling with:

1. Waking up in the middle of the night or in the wee hours of the morning absolutely starving for breakfast. Even when I'm not hungry, I wake up at these times with a mental craving--I may not be hungry, but I can't fall asleep until I eat. What makes it worse is that I crave lots of carbs and sugar early in the morning. This is really messing with my weight loss journey, because when I wake up to take on the day, I've already blown my breakfast and mid-morning snack calories.

2. Wanting to continue snacking after dinner. This is embarrassing, but I have a terrible mental block where I have trouble accepting that I'm finished eating for the day after dinner. I get very sad and just don't know how to say, "Okay, dinner was good, and breakfast will be there in the morning. I can wait."

Have any of you experienced these mental blocks? If so, how did you overcome them? Thank you so much!

Replies

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories allowed me to get past those exact mental blocks. I would plan out my calories and not want to end up way over where I should be... so I would stop eating. Not easy at first but after a few weeks that became the new habit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    alexoftroy wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am really struggling to break out of 2 very specific mental blocks. I'm at my wit's end and really don't know what to do. Here's what I'm struggling with:

1. Waking up in the middle of the night or in the wee hours of the morning absolutely starving for breakfast. Even when I'm not hungry, I wake up at these times with a mental craving--I may not be hungry, but I can't fall asleep until I eat. What makes it worse is that I crave lots of carbs and sugar early in the morning. This is really messing with my weight loss journey, because when I wake up to take on the day, I've already blown my breakfast and mid-morning snack calories.

2. Wanting to continue snacking after dinner. This is embarrassing, but I have a terrible mental block where I have trouble accepting that I'm finished eating for the day after dinner. I get very sad and just don't know how to say, "Okay, dinner was good, and breakfast will be there in the morning. I can wait."

Have any of you experienced these mental blocks? If so, how did you overcome them? Thank you so much!

Save some calories/plan into the day for a snack after dinner/midnight snack.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    #2 is tough for me, I actually had to schedule activities to keep me from munching. I typically go to the gym now after dinner, or a long walk with the dog. I keep a bag of carrots for these munching times......good luck wishing you the best.
    Robert
  • mrsb461
    mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also wake in the night for a wee and find myself really hungry and excited for breakfast time! I thought I was because I wasn't eating enough during the days.....didn't think if I as my mind rather than hunger
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    is it possible you are restricting your calories too far for the weight you have left to lose? We all feel hungry sometimes when we are not... but we also feel hungry when our body actually needs more calories. What are your stats and your goals?
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with the second one. It was almost like I thought I deserved or needed some sugary yummy treat to end the day, whether I was hungry or not.

It became an issue for me not just because of weight loss, but because I developed GERD. Any food eaten to close to bed and I get no sleep from the burning pain.

I broke the habit with a cup of stevia sweetened herbal tea, usually one for relaxation like chamomile. It was enough of a substitute that I transitioned away from the habit of eating after dinner.

For middle of the night wake ups....have you ever tried melatonin? It can help you fall back asleep.

All that being said, if you can fit these habits into your calorie goals, it won't hinder your weight loss efforts if they continue.
  • navybrat822
    navybrat822 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The thing that's helped me most is drinking Pellegrino sparkling water. It fills me up more than tap or filtered water because of the carbonation. Have apple slices on hand for those moments as well. I used to wake up and have salty cravings and would immediately go for a bag of kettle chips; now I go for zero calorie jello with just a teaspoon of whipped topping. It took me a month to get past those cravings. Hang in there. You can do it!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to #1. For #2, make it work for you. Plan in some snacks for the evening. I like to eat at night, when things are quiet and the day is done. I eat more than half of my calories after 11 PM.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    First, verify that you are eating enough and staying hydrated.

Then, set your priorities. Will getting over late night snacking help you feel like you have achieved something? If it is a priority, find activities to distract you. Some do well with a "kitchen closed" ritual or brushing teeth after dinner instead of before bed. You could even have a later dinner so that there isn't the ridiculous amount if time many Americans have between dinner and bed. If it isn't a priority, just find a way to fit it in your calories.

For middle of the night munchies, try meditation to get back to sleep.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have to plan for a snack after dinner. When I first began the sugar cravings were terrible. I had to wean myself off sugar. But I still need that sweet taste after dinner. I now eat canned fruit in light syrup, sugar free jello, gum or my favorite is hot tea with Splenda. It took a couple weeks but those cravings are satisfied with these snacks that fit into my calorie "budget" much better.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    is it possible you are restricting your calories too far for the weight you have left to lose? We all feel hungry sometimes when we are not... but we also feel hungry when our body actually needs more calories. What are your stats and your goals?

This is what I was wondering. If I restrict myself too much I am more prone to feeling deprived or binging. If I am eating at a sustainable deficit, my cravings tend to be fewer and mental not physical.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Though I don't have either of the OP's issues, I found actually forcing myself to log what I snack on gets me to not snack on it. I still snack, even little things like 3 butterscotch chips and 2 plain M&Ms, but I weigh them. They don't come up as a gram, so I eat them without feeling guilty for snacking, but I still get the thrill of being "naughty".
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    #2 is tough for me, I actually had to schedule activities to keep me from munching. I typically go to the gym now after dinner, or a long walk with the dog. I keep a bag of carrots for these munching times......good luck wishing you the best.
    Robert

This. I try to have a late dinner versus right when I get home. Then after dinner I go out an exercise, which could take anywhere from 1-1.5 hours. Once I come home I have a snack, then pretty much go to bed to avoid food. I'll stay up and watch TV, but once I'm upstairs and in my cozy bed, I don't want to get up - not even for a snack.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Middle of the night munchies I would try maybe a Tums and/or a glass of water. The only time I had the middle of the night gotta have something -hello bowl of cereal - I was pregnant.

Snacking at night can be fine if you build it in to your daily calories. I do. My spouse like to have dinner really early...pretty much when he walks in the door from work. Leaves 4-5 hours until bedtime and I get hungry again.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Why not plan your calories for the day, so you can have an evening snack? Since you are waking up starving and you are wanting to eat more in the evening, it sounds to me like you need to redistribute your daily calories so you are eating more food later in the day. I typically eat a smaller breakfast, medium sized lunch, and medium to large dinner. Then I always either budget for an evening snack or workout to earn extra calories for an evening snack.

If you really think they are mental blocks, I think you just have to push through. It sounds to me like your body is hungry, though!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Eat only at the table with no tv or electronics. The table must be set and the dishes done afterwards. It's a mental thing. Popcorn loses its appeal when you have to eat it from a plate with a fork.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    alexoftroy wrote: »
    ...2. Wanting to continue snacking after dinner. This is embarrassing, but I have a terrible mental block where I have trouble accepting that I'm finished eating for the day after dinner. I get very sad and just don't know how to say, "Okay, dinner was good, and breakfast will be there in the morning. I can wait."

I deal with this a lot. This usually means I'm craving something sweet so I save calories for dessert or maybe a small piece of chocolate like the Hershey's mini bars. It's hard to say no to yourself sometimes though. But willpower doesn't get any stronger unless you exercise it!

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Loads of good suggestions. I don't struggle with #1 so can't offer tips there, but as for #2 may I suggest that after you have finished your evening meal/last planned snack of the day you brush your teeth.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I feel I may still be hungry after dinner I brush my teeth. I spend a few minutes flossing, rinsing with mouth wash and brushing them. Peppermint has been shown to be a deterrent with cravings. Plus once I've brushed my teeth I usually only drink water since I don't want to ruin the minty freshness.

If I do have cravings for food - I have everything pre-packaged into specific serving sizes. Also, they are up high on a shelf where it is hard to see and hard to reach. It helps to curb over-eating.

I also utilize sparking water and I mix in about 4 ounces of grapefruit juice to 12 ounces of sparkling water. Grapefruit also helps to curb some cravings and the bubbly water makes me feel a bit more full

Also, as other people have said if you KNOW that you're going to wake up in the middle of the night to eat something, then you may have to cut back on calories throughout the day so that you have some spare calories at night time.