Ready to quit even trying

Options

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    wratty wrote: »
    The 5x5 isn't "that" hard yet, I was quite fit but had a year of being a lazy fat slob after having my shoulder fixed. So maybe I was mistaken thinking 1300 is enough, MFP wants me to eat 1500ish.

1500 based on what rate of loss?
  • wratty
    wratty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1kg week >:)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    1kg a week is quite a bit, why not take things a bit slower, say .5kg a week so you don't feel deprived? slow and steady is better imo :smile:
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Look, it's your choice but in your position I'd reset loss to 0.5kg (maybe even less) and eat those extra cals.

I'd forget about the weight on the scale (I've not weighted myself for months) and focus on how bada$$ I was in the gym, how each workout my lifts were improving.

Live with that for a month and I guarantee you will feel 100% better, you'll look better and you will not be scared to up those cals again.

A few months down the line and you'll be in the best shape of your 40's.

• lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am just about 145lbs 5ft 6in woman and 1300 cals is not enough for me!!! I raised my intake to about 1500. you need to eat. raise your calorie intake to about 1800- 2000 and see what happens. I know it sounds counter productive but your body needs the nutrients. as long as its not junk you should be ok. oh and give it time. everything takes time.... a lot of time.
  • wratty
    Options
    Just having a blue day. I didn't think my eating was "that bad". I'll take on board the advice and keep my head down :(
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Oh, and by the way.
    The 5x5 isn't "that" hard yet

It will be soon, trust me. 5x5SL dictates that once you can do your 3 x 5 working sets you up the weight by 2.5kg. If you're in the early stages this should be nearly every work out (5x5SL is based on Rippertoe's Starting Strength and I think he dictates 2.5kg (5lb) every session until from breaks down.

If you are not hitting these progression targets then guess what? You're probably not eating enough.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Just having a blue day. I didn't think my eating was "that bad". I'll take on board the advice and keep my head down :(

Don't feel down - It's all too easy for us to slip into the more is better mentality and treat fat loss as a sprint towards our goal. In practice it seems that this is not the best way.

Best wishes with it.
  • wratty
    Options
    I've only just started the 5x5, but not only just started lifting weights. So yeah I'm hitting all 5 all the time at the mo'. I suspect another couple of weeks and I'll start to fail the last set.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1kg week >:)

That is a good goal if you have 75+ lbs to lose, I would suggest a max of 1 lb/week.
  • wratty
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have about 10kg of flab to shift for flying season (which is pretty much here a;ready - dammit) I'm way over weight for my wing. Grrr.... I can make a million excuses to why I left it this late to start (January) and it started off well... 2.5-3kg fell off to start with.

Just feeling grrrr today I guess.
  • wratty
    Options
    Can seem to post anymore - this is a test
  • wratty
    Options
    Ok so that worked!

Right - motivation back on track. Not using scales anymore! Well monthly weigh-ins only!

Just measured and lost 2" off my waist, thighs bigger, biceps bigger so I AM changing shape
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    High five!
  • wratty
    edited March 2016
    Options
    *high fives*
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty small woman, and I lost most of my weight eating 2,000. And probably not exercising as much as you do.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Not eating enough can stop weight loss in its tracks! Your body is holding onto fat because it is in survival mode because you are not eating enough. StealthHealth has some great tips there!

Don't give up, eat more and eat well!

No it won't. Starvation mode is a myth.

^this++++++1

Misinformation abounds

If I were to guess, you are eating more than you think. Are you weighing and logging EVERYTHING that you eat and drink?

You should definitely be losing if you are eating that little and working out that much, and as others have said, 1300 calories is not enough for a man, unless you are very small.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Talk me into not quitting....

Average of around 1300 cals a day, 6days a week with a fairly punishing regime at the gym... 3mile daily stomp with the dog... And I'm not losing weight!

I know weight tiz but a number but bejasus I could do with some motivation!

If an investment had such an abysmal rate of return I would certainly switch my products.

You absolutely should quit.

Eat more. Say at around 2,000 cals per day gross.

Lift with more intensity and focus 3 times a week.

Throw in a few walks or runs for fun.

See what happens after 6 weeks...
  • wratty
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Not eating enough can stop weight loss in its tracks! Your body is holding onto fat because it is in survival mode because you are not eating enough. StealthHealth has some great tips there!

Don't give up, eat more and eat well!

No it won't. Starvation mode is a myth.

^this++++++1

Misinformation abounds

If I were to guess, you are eating more than you think. Are you weighing and logging EVERYTHING that you eat and drink?

You should definitely be losing if you are eating that little and working out that much, and as others have said, 1300 calories is not enough for a man, unless you are very small.

EVERYTHING - and weighed too.

It seems I'm slamming on muscle faster than I thought, so while my weight hasn't changed all that much, I'm changing shape, bigger thighs, bigger biceps, thinner waist. So all is not lost.

It's not what I started out as my plan... But I'm going to work with it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Are you in good health otherwise?
    Did you check with your physician or health care professional before beginning your weight lost/becoming healthier program?