Am I a slow runner?

Options
I run a 5k in 31:30 minutes, is that too slow?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

you run a freakin 5k. ^5. 10 min mile. i run a little under that and I know how hard it can be. I guess it depends on your goals and how long you've been running. embrace the accomplishment!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    If you're slow, so am I, we can be slow runners together. There's no such thing as too slow, as long as you keep going, you're not going too slow.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Speed is a personal thing. There will always be faster people who thing you're slow if you ask them, and slower people who think you're fast. If you enjoy running a 5k and you're feeling the challenge of doing it, you're doing great.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Too slow for what?
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The great rule of running is this: There is always someone faster. (Even Usain Bolt doesn't win every race!!!) (His 100m world record was broken just two days ago!!)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are running a 5K seems great to me. Mine is slower.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

If you're trying to outrun a cheetah, then yeah it probably is. But seeing as you're probably not trying to outrun a cheetah, then no it isn't.

And BTW, if you and I were trying to outrun a cheetah together, then I would be the one getting caught and eaten.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Not slower than me. I ran my first 5k in 39 minutes. After running almost a year I hit my 5k PR of 32-something, so still slower than you.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a runner. I put a good portion of my free time and available energy into running. There will always be people who are faster and run farther than me. If I focused on that it would suck out all of the gratification I get from running. not to mention the endless list of variables from course difficulty to weather.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For a woman that is a great time. For a man it might be a bit slow but regardless your running and that's all that matters! What might be slow for one is good for another. How do you feel about it? Personally I run a 33:30 and I want to improve on that but I'm so proud of myself anyways!!
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It takes me a good 45 minutes to run 5k, so I definitely out-slow you. Unless someone else comes forward with a slower time then I'm claiming the slow runner crown.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can look up results for almost any 5k online. Google "5k" and the name of your state and look at prior years' results. You'll find where you stack up compared to others, not that it matters one whit. It's not as if anybody is going to say "yes, you're slow, you may as well give up now."
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I worry about being slow too, but really as long as you are enjoying what you are doing and not pushing so hard you end up injured then you're doing awesome. BTW my last 5k race time was 48:11. I'm trying to build a good base to prevent injury, then I'll start to work on getting faster.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner, LOL. Can pretty much power walk 5k faster than I can jog it. Anyway, here is a site that lets you put in age, sex, and distance to see how you rank among similar runners.

runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/age-grade-calculator

It really DOESN'T MATTER, though. Running slow is 90% as good as running fast, IMO. Because running at all is 90% of the battle, and then speed and distance are the other 10% to work on as you progress.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's only too slow if you think it is.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Always someone faster than you. Always someone slower. Always will be. We all start somewhere and then we all end up somewhere else. Sometimes, that is due to how hard we work, or not, and sometimes it is due to other things beyond our control.
    You wanna be faster? Run more. It will happen. You might not beat Meb in a marathon, but you'll find something interesting.
    Good luck!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

What difference does it make? Are you faster now, then when you 1st started?
    I run (last time I checked ) was at 4.8
    I sprint at 7.4

Its not how fast you finish the race, ITS you finished the race.

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Unless you're Mo Farrah there will always be people faster than you. Only compete with yourself.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you are faster than me. seems like you are doing just fine
  • noelmkhan
    noelmkhan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are still lapping the walkers.... So no :)