Grocery Shopping: "I only need three things"...

Options
evayna
evayna Posts: 66 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Then I end up buying the whole produce section! Anyone else have bad impluse control when shopping? This will probly only last about a week!

1p1eky9ck6jd.jpg

In picture:

Unsweetened Applesauce
Large Organic Brown Eggs
2 Cucumbers
2 Radish Bunches
2 Persimmons
Barley
3 Sweet Bell Peppers
Assorted Baby Potatoes
3 Zuchinni
Organic Black Beans
Go Raw Sprouted Chocolate Granola
Organic Coconut Flakes
Whole Wheat Stone Ground Flour
Spring Salad Mix
Sugar Snap Peas
Red Grapes
Dates
2 Prickly Cactus Pear
2 Lemons
2 Papaya
Coconut Water
Raspberries
Black Berries
Family Pack Strawberries

Replies

• JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, when it comes to food. I have found that I have to go to the grocery store full, otherwise, my counter looks like yours.
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! One thing will look good and it just goes down hill from there...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes

o6b913b59wgo.jpg

I didn't mean to get those apple snacks or Speciloos cookies....or a few other things. Good thing I have kids who i can share with.
  • evayna
    Options
    JagZag wrote: »
    oh yeah, when it comes to food. I have found that I have to go to the grocery store full, otherwise, my counter looks like yours.

The sad part is I went grocery shopping after dinner! So I was full, I went in to get a few things to make zuchinni bread and walked out with $100 in food D:
  • evayna
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Yes

I didn't mean to get those apple snacks or Speciloos cookies....or a few other things. Good thing I have kids who i can share with.

Unfortunately, I don't have kids :S Which sucks because when I buy something I know I should have like ice cream or chocolate, I have to own up to it. I guess the good thing though is that the persimmon and papaya aren't ripe yet so it'll give me time to eat the rest of it.

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. At least your impulse shopping is stuff you can make meals out of, I keep going out to buy bread and milk and coming home with an armful of easter chocolate :D
  • evayna
    Options
    Oh yeah. At least your impulse shopping is stuff you can make meals out of, I keep going out to buy bread and milk and coming home with an armful of easter chocolate :D

Haha, I know that feeling! When I go to the store though I limit myself to only the outer isles and organic section. Which for me helps the impulse buying of junk food, not so much impulse buying of produce though. :smiley:
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    When I come home to unpack groceries I kinda sorta always have no where to put the new food because the food from last week is still filling the shelves of my pantry and fridge. Ive done much better though as of late- as of late- meaning reviewing my spending <and it helps planning/logging> I shop with the intent of kicking *kitten* in the kitchen but then reality sets in and it just sits there.
    I feel you OP- as a family of 5 our grocery bill will be one of our highest monthly expenses...that- and wine. sorrynotsorry =P
    Your shopping looks yummy though!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love grocery shopping, but I have to use all my willpower to not take the whole produce section with me :s

The good thing about buying whole foods, though, is that it - for me - indeed lasts: I won't overeat cucumbers and pears and brown rice.

Today's catch was:
    Whole milk
    Noodles (beef and duck flavor)
    Cob of corn
    Persimmon
    Pears (looks like Williams)
    Plums (Laetitia)
    Apples (Joya, haven't tried them yet)
    Lemon
    Mint
    Cauliflower
    Carrots
    Turkish white bread
  • evayna
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    When I come home to unpack groceries I kinda sorta always have no where to put the new food because the food from last week is still filling the shelves of my pantry and fridge. Ive done much better though as of late- as of late- meaning reviewing my spending <and it helps planning/logging> I shop with the intent of kicking *kitten* in the kitchen but then reality sets in and it just sits there.
    I feel you OP- as a family of 5 our grocery bill will be one of our highest monthly expenses...that- and wine. sorrynotsorry =P

Thats a really good idea "planning/logging" I try to plan out my meals in advance but it doesn't always work. I think though if I calculated how much I was spending and what was going to waste it might curb my impulses. The funny thing is that this food is all for me personally, my boyfriend a hard headed carnivore. Trying to get him to eat healthy is hell.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If I don't write it down on paper or in my phone, overbuying happens.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can't go to the store hungry or I end up grabbing snack bars, frozen dinners (OMG I love the Marie Calendar cheesey bacon chicken pot pie!), etc. I'm usually able to stay away from the chips and cookies, but I always buy more food then I meant to when shopping on an empty stomach.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    If I don't write it down on paper or in my phone, overbuying happens.

It may still happen :#
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My wife and I plan out the week in regards to menus and we make our shopping list...we stick to the shopping list...budget stays in tact that way. I really don't want to eat into my other entertainment funds to buy some product(s) that are not on the shopping list/menu for the week.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    How do you use the prickly pear cactus?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    evayna wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Thats a really good idea "planning/logging" I try to plan out my meals in advance but it doesn't always work. I think though if I calculated how much I was spending and what was going to waste it might curb my impulses. The funny thing is that this food is all for me personally, my boyfriend a hard headed carnivore. Trying to get him to eat healthy is hell.

I make a lot of one pot meals. He'd have to pick the veggies out, and doesn't. He's also learned that having a green is a standard.

• hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I gave up going to the grocery store for "just a few things" because I never actually do it. I just haaaave to see what's new, what looks good, and what's on sale...then I end up with your counter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't usually impulse buy food. I make a meal plan and a strict grocery list and we stick to it because we can't afford not to. If we don't get something or run out of something it waits until the next weekly shopping trip.
    It'd be kind of fun to just walk in without a plan or thought of the budget and just shop one time.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There's a good reason my wife doesn't send me grocery shopping. She's a machine, I'm an impulse buyer.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    There's a good reason my wife doesn't send me grocery shopping. She's a machine, I'm an impulse buyer.

That is why my husband doesnt go....even with my amazing list.
    Its my LIST thats the problem.

I need an editor.