Can I eat whatever I want, long as I don't go past 1200 calories.

Options
So for the past week I've been eating the not so healthy stuff like spaghetti, bread, chips BUTT I never go past my 1,200 calorie goal. I've been eating about 1000 calories a day to lose weight faster. I work out 5 days a week so it's not that bad right. I am currently 150lbs and it's not easy for me to lose weight so I'm guessing this way wouldn't be so bad, or is it

Replies

• lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As long as you're weighing your stuff out on a scale then sure!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    yep. anything.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    I just look up what I eat on here and make a guesstimate
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Then you are not logging accurately. If you want to stick to a daily caloric goal you need to be as accurate as possible. Guesstimating will not get you to where you want to be.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah you definitely need to weigh things, otherwise you are probably eating way more then you think you are without realizing it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »

Then you are not logging accurately. If you want to stick to a daily caloric goal you need to be as accurate as possible. Guesstimating will not get you to where you want to be.

You need to weigh things, it really is eye opening...
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, sure. For good health, maybe not. Your body still needs vitamins & minerals. It's hard enough to get everything your body needs on 1,200 calories a day of healthy food.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

at least weigh for a while..couple months to see if your estimating is accurate. I don't expect to log the rest of my life but it has been extremely educating and has proven to me over and over, there is no substitute to doing this especially when things get tough or don't seem to be adding up as i expect.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You can, but it's not recommended. There is a reason that MFP sets it so that the lowest goal is 1200 calories per day. Even eating a perfectly balanced diet you are going to be hard pressed to fit the macros as set and to get in all the vitamins and minerals that are recommended. It's next to impossible at 1,000 calories per day, let alone when you are consuming things like pasta and chips. That's not to say that you can never have these things, variety is after all the spice of life, but part of the idea with losing weight is learning how to treat yourself and how to eat better for your overall health. Also, I'm all about size. I'd much rather see a huge salad on my plate loaded with protein and veggies than a measly 2oz portion of pasta, there is just something about seeing that volume on my plate that tricks my brain in to thinking I'm getting more, when most of the time, it's actually less calories than the pasta. Make sense?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So for the past week I've been eating the not so healthy stuff like spaghetti, bread, chips BUTT I never go past my 1,200 calorie goal. I've been eating about 1000 calories a day to lose weight faster. I work out 5 days a week so it's not that bad right. I am currently 150lbs and it's not easy for me to lose weight so I'm guessing this way wouldn't be so bad, or is it

Doing something bad for your body (under 1,000) calories isn't cancelled out by doing something good (exercise).

MFP expects you to NET at least 1200 calories. That means 1200 after exercise calories. On exercise days you want to eat a little more to fuel your workouts.

Fast weight loss is often unhealthy because you could be losing a larger percentage of lean muscle mass than most people are comfortable with.

Keep in mind 1200 before exercise is MFP's default minimum. This number is most appropriate for very petite & senior ladies.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First, for your health, try to eat at least 1200 calories a day. If you are exercising a lot, eat more. The damage you can do to your body is not worth it.
    Second, yes you can eat whatever you want and lose weight if it is within your calorie limit. If you find yourself overly hungry, you might want to add some lean proteins & veggies to the chips, bread & spaghetti.
    Lastly, if you are just guessing the amount you are eating, you are probably eating more than you think. My guess is, based on you logging 1000 & exercising and not complaining of hunger, you probably are eating more than you think. A food scale will help determine that.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    While 1200 cal of crap = 1200 cal of nutrient dense food, the macros tell the the rest of the story. I don't think anyone would recommend a child eat any 1200 cal or a sick person could eat 1200 cal of whatever. But somehow that does not apply to everyone else?! 1200 cal in a balanced diet is key. Try to rebuild muscle without adequate protein. For that matter, let your GI come to a halt because someone tanks their fiber intake.

This journey should be about fitness not just about "weight loss."
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti, bread, and (in limited quantities) chips are fine to eat. Don't buy into the idea that you only have to eat "healthy foods" to lose weight, or that some foods are "crap".

Hit your calorie goal first, eat a mostly nutritious diet, and go from there.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you are doing right now will result is weight loss.

BUT....it is not healthy and will not help you in the long run. You should be eating more in general on calories a day. Even more if you are working out regularly. And the type of calories IS important. Sometimes it isn't just how much you eat, but what you are eating.

You may feel fine now, but it will come back to get you in time. Use a food scale, and use the scanner on the MFP phone app to be the most accurate on how much you are eating. I HIGHLY doubt that you are working out that much....eating that little (especially in not "good stuff), and you are not feeling hungry ever. You most likely are not guesstimating your food correctly...in the amounts and the type. There can be a drastic difference in calories, fat, carbs, etc....between 1 brand of something and another. I saw this in bread the other day...1 brand was 13 carbs a slice...another it was 24 carbs a slice...so looking up a "generic" food that is "similar" to what you ate is okay on occasions, but it is probably not that accurate if you are doing it all the time for every food.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Can I eat whatever I want, long as I don't go past 1200 calories.

For weight loss? Yes.

But I agree with the others, get a food scale and start weighing things. It will be eye opening. You are probably eating more than you think.

As a secondary concern, making sure you are getting enough protein can be helpful and help spare your muscles as you lose weight. But eating "right" or "clean" is not necessary for weight loss. You might find it benefits you in other ways though. Sometimes high sodium foods will cause you to retain water which might mask weight loss on the scale. But if you can tolerate that, no reason to cut it out completely.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    When I got a scale and started weighing, it was a definite eye opener....read labels for serving sizes when you log. You won't be very healthy though if you don't include foods from all 4 food groups almost daily. Nothing wrong with a snack of chips, pasta daily etc but you need protein, fruits and veggies to go along with it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You may find losing weight easier if you just focus on doing it right and not spinning your wheels. Just do the opposite of what you are doing right now.

Do not aim to eat under 1200 calories. In fact, do not try to eat below your estimated BMR. The good thing here is that you probably are eating a lot more than you think. Don't guesstimate. Weigh everything you eat and check info in the database with reliable sources (packaging, USDA website), before you log it.

There is nothing wrong with pasta and bread, and you can eat some chips now and then and still be healthy and lose weight.

Work out for health and fitness, not primarily to lose weight.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get your nutrients and fiber in 1200 calories. I do it. There is no room for chips.
  • annethomas99
    annethomas99 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's much much better to eat healthy and also watch the calories, it's also easier to stick with 1200 calories if you are eating filling and nutritious food.