Can I eat whatever I want, long as I don't go past 1200 calories.

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    As long as you're weighing your stuff out on a scale then sure!
    I just look up what I eat on here and make a guesstimate

then you will be having issues.....
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know you guys say it all the time... but there's no way I could use my 1,200 calories a day on nothing but cake and lose weight. Maybe your bodies.. not mine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know you guys say it all the time... but there's no way I could use my 1,200 calories a day on nothing but cake and lose weight. Maybe your bodies.. not mine.

Who says they eat 1200 calories of cake? I've never seen that.

In theory, yes, you would lose weight doing that, but most people can't because they'd be hungry, unsatisfied, and feel horrible eating nothing but 1200 calories of cake.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Whoa. Who says to eat "nothing but cake"? Please don't paint that picture. The prevailing wisdom on MFP is to have a reasonable calorie goal (which I don't believe 1200 is, but that's another story) and to eat a variety of foods within that goal, not arbitrarily cutting out foods, hitting macros and filling in the remainder with enjoyed foods - maybe cake, maybe chocolate, maybe soda.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Except nobody advocates living entirely on cake. Google "false dilemma" if you like.
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Measure 31 grams of Special K cereal (the serving size) and you will be amazed at how bad "guesstimates" really are :'(
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

1600-1800 calories a day on a 67% fast food diet and I am losing weight. I'd get sick of cake if that's all I ate all day. I'm not a big cake fan. But I still make room for cookies and ice cream plenty often.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want its all about cico my hubbys sisters and sis in laws have like 3 kids each and they eat crap and have smokin hot bodies not exercise at all i think people obcess so much about eating healthy to have a good bod its all a lie but dnt go over board either
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I could eat nothing but cake. *looks around* What?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Whoa. Who says to eat "nothing but cake"? Please don't paint that picture. The prevailing wisdom on MFP is to have a reasonable calorie goal (which I don't believe 1200 is, but that's another story) and to eat a variety of foods within that goal, not arbitrarily cutting out foods, hitting macros and filling in the remainder with enjoyed foods - maybe cake, maybe chocolate, maybe soda.

^^This.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Reductio ad donutum rears its ugly head again.

Eating cake sometimes =/= nothing but cake
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Every time I see the latin name for this - I think of doughnuts. Which is fitting, since the strawman is often about eating a diet of nothing but doritos or donuts....
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

Every time I see the latin name for this - I think of doughnuts. Which is fitting, since the strawman is often about eating a diet of nothing but doritos or donuts....

Don't forget Twinkies...

• DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

People have a tendency to vastly underestimate the portions they are eating. I highly suggest you get a food scale for around $15 on Amazon and start weighing your portions. You might be eating 3 servings of spaghetti thinking you're only eating 1, and if you do that every day then your calorie count is *way* off.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    EEeehh kinda, depends what your goals are!

For weight loss, sure! Calorie in vs calories out and all that jazz. As long as there is a deficit, you'll lose weight. For nutrition, nope, you've got to hit certain nutrient levels to be healthy and avoid deficiency diseases, get your minimums of protein, all the vitamins and minerals. I'd suggest you try and hit the fruit and veg 5-a-day recommendation and not live of junk but you'll lose if you don't go over your goal on the basis your calories goal is healthy. There is such a thing as too low to feel good on and losing faster than is healthy or sustainable.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    LC107 wrote: »
    Measure 31 grams of Special K cereal (the serving size) and you will be amazed at how bad "guesstimates" really are :'(

^^this
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    eat more.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The goal is to eat 1200+ it's not to eat under 1200 calories. You're already at a deficit at 1200 calories.

So now we've cleared up that your goals are to hit 1200 or above, yes you can eat anything you want that works for you.

• oliviarose347
    oliviarose347 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, then yes. If you have specific problem areas you're trying to target in the weight loss process, the foods aforementioned will not help you reach your goals. Simply put, you cannot cheat the kitchen, no matter how much you work out or try ro stay under however many cals to lose weight.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm actually ALWAYS hungry!!! When I get hungry I go get me a carrot or drink a lot of water then I feel better for a little bit. It's easier for me to eat less than 1200 calories because I work over nights meaning I don't eat at work all night then when I come home I eat around 7am then sometimes I eat around 12pm then I don't eat till about 8pm again