Factoring sauce in a crockpot meal.

Options
When I make a meal in a crock pot I am generally going to have a lot of sauce/juice in there for the meat to simmer in. How much would you guys think of the sauce to actually factor into macros/calorie equation? After I pull the meat out there will be well over 1/2 the sauce left that will be dumped in the trash. So is the thinking that since the meat cooked in all the sauce, I should factor all the sauce? Would it be safe to assume since half the sauce is left, I should only count half? Just trying to get some other peoples opinions on this. Thanks!

Replies

• MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm no expert, but when I cook in the crock pot, I measure and weigh everything as it goes in and get my calorie count from that. I don't count whatever juice is produced by cooking the ingredients together.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm no expert, but when I cook in the crock pot, I measure and weigh everything as it goes in and get my calorie count from that. I don't count whatever juice is produced by cooking the ingredients together.

yup
  • coolz19465
    coolz19465 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The recipe that brought up the question is http://sweetbabyrays.com/recipes/crock-pot-chicken. Its the 18 oz of bbq that make a difference, not chicken juices. I always count juice from meat, I weight it before it goes in. I should have clarified that I meant bbq sauce in this case, or sometimes a broth sauce in other cases.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yum! As far as calories go, I don't deduct any for unused sauce because the chicken is absorbing it as it cooks. I don't know if that's standard, but that's just how I do it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think that if you measure and calculate all the ingredients as you put them into the crockpot, then divide the total by the number of servings you get out at the end, including the sauce, then you should be good. Disclaimer - I am not an expert either!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    In that case I'd enter everything in the recipe tool, then just weigh what you will eat in the end. So yeah I'd factor in the sauce, even if you're not going to eat all of it, but I wouldn't count it in the final weight.

Or I guess you could just enter half the amount of BBQ sauce and call it a day. Either way it won't make a huge difference, but typically I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I use my crock pot all the time - at least a couple times per week, and I'm usually doing chicken breasts or turkey cutlets in some sort of broth or sauce. This looks like it would give you 4.5 ounces of barbecue sauce per serving (assuming you get four servings as it says). That is a TON of barbecue sauce. Unlike everyone else here, if I know I will be leaving behind about half the broth or half the sauce, I typically only calculate what I believe I will be consuming, but I do like to overestimate by at least a little. It's strictly a guesstimate, though, but I am not as particular with things sometimes as many other MFP users. I think it all comes down to what you're comfortable with logging.