When you crave this, what you really need is...

Options
interesting article i found on stumbleupon today

www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

I would type it all out but it's hard to type out without any formatting lol.
Basically it says that when you crave something, your body is really asking for something specific and it lets you know what you need and healthy alternatives to the cravings :)

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The other day I woke up wanting a pop sooooo bad, and I rarely if ever drink any. I needed calcium!
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nice, Tamara is well know within the yoga community in my little part of the world. This is a good blog in general if you're into introspection and such.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing, but I'm not sure how true a lot of that info is. Something to contemplate, anyway.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i dont know how true a lot of it is either, but it's worth looking at and testing out. the worst that happens is you eat a healthy snack instead of a chocolate bar lol
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This sounds more truthful for me...

"It a common misconception that you crave certain foods because of specific nutritional deficits but there is actually no data out there to support this claim. For instance, when you need vitamin C you don’t crave oranges you just get scurvy. Getting vitamin C then alleviates the scurvy. You crave sweets because they cause a spike in blood sugar and you crave tobacco, drugs, and alcohol because of a physical or psychological addiction in which case the substance that your body is missing is indeed nicotine, drugs, or alcohol (in the case of the physical addiction.) It is tempting to believe someone who makes a claim like this because it seems to make so much sense"
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    IDK how accurate this is for swets...I have had a lot of this stuff and still wants sweets. But it's worth a shot anyway.

BUMP:flowerforyou:
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing this. It reminds me of the old story of the infants in the housing projects chewing on curtains because they needed starch or something like that. Maybe I can try some of these.
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    hmmm..
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Interesting link. I'm not sure how reliable all those are, but the craving ice meaning you are low on iron is actually true.

Actually, any time you find yourself craving 'non-food' items like ice it normally indicates an iron deficiency.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I can't say I agree with all of it, but it is something to consider. I have stopped craving a lit of stuff since I started eating clean. I know my chocolate and coffee cravings are about caffeine, not nutrition, though.