Grocery Shopping: "I only need three things"...

Options

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I prelog 2 weeks at a time and only buy what is needed. It has helped our grocery budget immensely.
  • w8lessinspace
    w8lessinspace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a great solution to this... My partner makes a list, I add/subtract, then he shops. So I'm not tempted to buy extra stuff... Not sure how we got to one day before shop day with only block cheese, soft cheese, sliced cheese left in the fridge though. hmmm.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I love your groceries, looks so healthy!! I knew right away you were spending tons of dollars on it! I go every week to the local market (I live in Holland) and just bring cash money, if the money is spent, then that's it! But at the market I will grab fruits that are so ripe they will sell like 8 bananas for $1! So when I come home I will make freezerbags with mixed fruits and that way my fruits stay good and Im all ready for smoothies! I do the same with a huge batch of vegetables sauce for pastas or as a base for a ricedish and put it in jars in the fritz. Applesauce without sugar is way too easy to make myself, it might take a little time, but then again, your budget for one time shopping is what I spend every 14 days! with the rest: I travel!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i impulse shop usually in the specialty cheese and wine section :(
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    This chair, this paddle game and this remote. That's all I need.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    evayna wrote: »
    Then I end up buying the whole produce section! Anyone else have bad impluse control when shopping? This will probly only last about a week!

1p1eky9ck6jd.jpg

yep. especially when i am hungry. it happened this morning. i was out walking the dog, and passed by this hotel where the were apparently serving delicious breakfast sandwiches. i continued walking for a bit. put my dog in his carrier. and stopped by the grocery store to find a breakfast of equal deliciousness to the one i smelled. a couple of things helped. i didn't grab a shopping cart or basket. so i could only buy what i could carry. plus i was on foot with my dog on my back, so i didn't want to lug a heavy bag. i came away with croissants, a pint of liquid eggs, and a package of canadian bacon. it was a total success, and the sandwich was yum :) i think the best part of the strategy was my refusal to grab a cart. you did well though. at least you bought healthy stuff that you can use. :)

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

*waves at you from the wine section with 4 different cheeses and 3 packs of crackers already in her basket"
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The Tastykakes get me every time. :)

I bought Tastykake Strawberry Kandy Kakes (Easter/Spring limited flavor) on Sunday.
    I had to stop in and get more milk today and bought 2 packages of Tastykake Pancake Krimpets. Guess I'll be eating those for breakfast all week.

Sometimes I impulse buy on purpose (if you can call it that since it's planned). I specifically look for all of the new and limited edition or seasonal flavors of things. Next on the list is those carrot cake hershey kisses. They're going to be mine. Oh yes, they will. >:)
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well I have four boys. So buying out the produce section a few times a week works in my favor. The problem is frozen stuff when I have no more room left in the freezer.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Everyone missed the big question---- Did you get the three things you needed???? :D
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Everyone missed the big question---- Did you get the three things you needed???? :D

I go into a shop, buy loads I don't need and never manage to pick up the thing I left the house for!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »

*waves at you from the wine section with 4 different cheeses and 3 packs of crackers already in her basket"

yessss!!!! its usually the first section i head to... "this is really what i came for" haha!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    When I go grocery shopping, my list only contains the 'odd' stuff that I'm out of, you know, the things you don't buy every week like toilet paper, dishwasher detergent, sugar. etc. Once I get there, I plan my menus based on what's on special and what fresh produce looks especially nice.

Oh, and what's yummy in the bakery section. :)
  • crybaby1216
    crybaby1216 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At least you bought healthy stuff I once went in and came out with 70 dollars wroth of junk food never go hungry or when u have pms lol
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

No, I didn't I totally forgot to grab celery for the stew I'm making today!! :S
  • evayna
    Options
    How do you use the prickly pear cactus?

There are a bunch of uses for them! I personally really just like them by themselves. Cut away the skin, cut in half, scoop away the seeds, and eat! They are super sweet! When we do happen to get them here up north my mom buys a ton of them to make prickly pear lemonade. Which is delicious! I've heard of making jelly from them or adding it to alcoholic beverages! :p
  • evayna
    Options
    Odilerubia wrote: »
    Ohhhh I love your groceries, looks so healthy!! I knew right away you were spending tons of dollars on it! I go every week to the local market (I live in Holland) and just bring cash money, if the money is spent, then that's it! But at the market I will grab fruits that are so ripe they will sell like 8 bananas for $1! So when I come home I will make freezerbags with mixed fruits and that way my fruits stay good and Im all ready for smoothies! I do the same with a huge batch of vegetables sauce for pastas or as a base for a ricedish and put it in jars in the fritz. Applesauce without sugar is way too easy to make myself, it might take a little time, but then again, your budget for one time shopping is what I spend every 14 days! with the rest: I travel!

Thats awesome! Unfortunately, where I live we only have fresh markets in the warmer weather, so if I want "fresh" produce I'm stuck buying at the grocery store. :/ The only thing you can really get here this time of year is squashes, apples, and root vegetables. I'd love to travel to Holland someday! <3
  • evayna
    Options
    Well I have four boys. So buying out the produce section a few times a week works in my favor. The problem is frozen stuff when I have no more room left in the freezer.

Same, well kinda. I don't have kids, but I've been bugging my boyfriend for years to let us buy a chest freezer! I'm always running out of room in ours.
  • evayna
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    The Tastykakes get me every time. :)

I bought Tastykake Strawberry Kandy Kakes (Easter/Spring limited flavor) on Sunday.
    I had to stop in and get more milk today and bought 2 packages of Tastykake Pancake Krimpets. Guess I'll be eating those for breakfast all week.

Sometimes I impulse buy on purpose (if you can call it that since it's planned). I specifically look for all of the new and limited edition or seasonal flavors of things. Next on the list is those carrot cake hershey kisses. They're going to be mine. Oh yes, they will. >:)

You'll have to tell me how those hershey kisses are! They sound horrible so I'm afraid to spend the money on them, that and if I do like them I'll end up eating the whole bag! :D
  • evayna
    Options
    evayna wrote: »
    Then I end up buying the whole produce section! Anyone else have bad impluse control when shopping? This will probly only last about a week!

1p1eky9ck6jd.jpg

yep. especially when i am hungry. it happened this morning. i was out walking the dog, and passed by this hotel where the were apparently serving delicious breakfast sandwiches. i continued walking for a bit. put my dog in his carrier. and stopped by the grocery store to find a breakfast of equal deliciousness to the one i smelled. a couple of things helped. i didn't grab a shopping cart or basket. so i could only buy what i could carry. plus i was on foot with my dog on my back, so i didn't want to lug a heavy bag. i came away with croissants, a pint of liquid eggs, and a package of canadian bacon. it was a total success, and the sandwich was yum :) i think the best part of the strategy was my refusal to grab a cart. you did well though. at least you bought healthy stuff that you can use. :)

I try the same thing! Limiting my impulse buying by using baskets or a smaller cart! Although it didn't work so well this time, I used the really small basket cart, and the poor kid at the checkout line had a hard time fitting all my bag in it! I laughed nervously and said "I always end up buying more than expected to!" :D