Gym and Gains Advice

Options
Just want some opinions, while trying to gain to you think it's wise to take a temporary break from the gym until you reach your ideal goal weight ?

Or do you think it's smarter to work out while trying to gain ?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    That would depend upon what are you trying to gain. Fat - stay away from the gym. Lean body mass - go to the gym and strength train.

(assuming calorific surplus in both instances of course)
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you want to put on weight in the form of lean muscle and since it ways more than fat and helps burn fat it is a great option. Check out my diary if you want to see my macros as I am working on putting on weight as well.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Just want some opinions, while trying to gain to you think it's wise to take a temporary break from the gym until you reach your ideal goal weight ?

If by "going to the gym" you mean spending 30 minutes on the elliptical machine or doing zumba, then yes, it's probably better to stay away.

I would echo the above, and suggest that if you're trying to gain weight in the form of muscle mass, it would be well worth your time to go to the gym, in the form of lifting weights.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you want to gain 100% fat then yes….

if not, then you would be better off eating in a 250 calorie surplus, hitting macros and micros, and getting on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner, etc.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Agreed, you want to put on weight in the form of lean muscle and since it ways more than fat and helps burn fat it is a great option. Check out my diary if you want to see my macros as I am working on putting on weight as well.

what if I want fatty muscle, how do I do that?
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

If by "going to the gym" you mean spending 30 minutes on the elliptical machine or doing zumba, then yes, it's probably better to stay away.

I would echo the above, and suggest that if you're trying to gain weight in the form of muscle mass, it would be well worth your time to go to the gym, in the form of lifting weights.

Thanks, I do try and avoid cardio because I don't want to burn a lot of calories .. Though I've been finding I'm burning a lot of fat by doing to much weight lifting ? Do you think it's time to higher the weight ? Or avoid the gym to re bulk ?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

There's no such thing as fatty muscle....
    All muscle is lean....you just have a layer of fat over it... Why not lift and eat in a slight surplus?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks, I do try and avoid cardio because I don't want to burn a lot of calories .. Though I've been finding I'm burning a lot of fat by doing to much weight lifting ? Do you think it's time to higher the weight ? Or avoid the gym to re bulk ?

what is your gym routine like?
  • ndj1979
    Options

There's no such thing as fatty muscle....
    All muscle is lean....you just have a layer of fat over it... Why not lift and eat in a slight surplus?

it was not a serious question …

muscle = muscle it is not lean or fatty ...
  • jennahudson01
    Options

Warm ups with out weights, then sometimes I mix it up and start with high weights to low weight or low to high.. I do like 10-12 reps but a lot of sets

• ndj1979
    Options

Warm ups with out weights, then sometimes I mix it up and start with high weights to low weight or low to high.. I do like 10-12 reps but a lot of sets

what are "out" weights?

Again, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, PHUL, etc....

weight lifting really does not burn that many calories, unless one is circuit training or doing boot camp style workouts....
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle you would be best advised to work out using a structured, progressive program rather than mixing it up or just doing what you feel like on each gym visit.
  • StealthHealth
    Options

what are "out" weights?

Again, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, PHUL, etc....

weight lifting really does not burn that many calories, unless one is circuit training or doing boot camp style workouts....

^^this.

By the way: OP means without weights for warm up.
  • ndj1979
    Options

what are "out" weights?

^^this.

i totally read that first part wrong ..LOL
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question depends on what you want your gains to look like at the end. You will always gain some muscle and some fat but your activities, along with genetics, will determine what portion of each you add. If you work out you will have to adjust your calorie intake to reflect the calories you burn during exercise but as long as you cover that you shouldn't have any issues gaining weight.
  • jennahudson01
    Options

what are "out" weights?

^^this.

i totally read that first part wrong ..LOL

Lmaoooooo without weights lmao as in no weights haha !!!!
  • jennahudson01
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle you would be best advised to work out using a structured, progressive program rather than mixing it up or just doing what you feel like on each gym visit.

Yea that's pretty much what I do.. I just work out what ever I feel like doing that day, which is mostly legs or abs. :|
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yea that's pretty much what I do.. I just work out what ever I feel like doing that day, which is mostly legs or abs. :|

that is not a structured lifting program ....

a structured lifting program is where you hit the same group every day and then you progressively lift heavier weights over x amount of time ...

doing what you feel like doing is not structured....
  • jennahudson01
    Options

what are "out" weights?

Do I gotta pay for those programs ?
  • jennahudson01
    Options

that is not a structured lifting program ....

a structured lifting program is where you hit the same group every day and then you progressively lift heavier weights over x amount of time ...

doing what you feel like doing is not structured....

Lol I feel like you read everything I write wrong haha :p that or I gotta go back to school.

I do legs pretty much every day and they do get stronger and I add weight and also do abs a couple times a week.. But my legs aren't getting bigger they are like shrinking