Planet Fitness -- opinions please

Options
I am looking to join a CHEAP gym I can cancel if need be. I want cardio and a few weights -- nothing fancy. Is this the place for me?

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Its great if you don't plan to lift heavy, but having said that.......

n2wmeck8m57l.jpg
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    They offer a free trial work-out. Go try it and see. If you're fairly new to working out, and don't want a lot of the heavy free weights, etc, it's kind of fun. I really liked the recumbent bikes they had at the one near me, but they don't have a pool, so I never became a member.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've worked out at a lot of gyms. I just don't need the 1 yr. commitment right now. This one is very close to my house. Not lifting heavy -- have a shoulder injury.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Must admit, when I am over in the US at our HQ there is one behind the hotel I normally stay, and I honestly love it. They might have some strange "rules" (thee shalt not shout, thee shalt not voice an opinion), but the equipment is really good, the price super affordable for what you get, and they open at 5am
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hear a lot of bad things and it almost turned me off to it based on the forums here, but they are 24 hour and close to my house and cheap... and I'm basically there for cardio. I do weights at home (until I outgrow them).

I like it, the staff are super nice and so are the people there, mine is clean and has all new equipment (it's only been open a year). I did the black card membership and use the water massage bed once a week at least and have already used the 20% off Reebok discount twice.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been a member at our local Planet Fitness for a couple years and it will totally fit the bill. I only go when the weather is not conducive to outdoor walking, and don't feel guilty about "wasting" $10 for them to be available. There are months when I go 20-25 times, and other months I only go 2-3 times - so it balances out. Mine is open 24 hours during the week, with long hours on Saturday and Sunday.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but the Planet Fitness I go to (and all the others in my area) still require a 1 year minimum commitment for the advertised price. I have been a member for a while, but when I signed up for the black card membership, it was $20/month plus a $50? sign-up fee and $21 annual fee. The month-to-month member ship was $50/month and the guy at the desk got really aggressive and seemed almost offended when I first inquired about the month-to-month before becoming a member.

In terms of the facility, I like it. I don't lift heavy. The hours are nice, and the equipment is clean and well-maintained. In several years, I have only heard the lunk alarm twice (not directed at me) and both times were within one week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want out of it. If you want to really get into traditional lifting...i.e. compound movements using Olympic bars and plates, etc...well, that's not it's place. That's where most of the knocks come from...basically they treat people who are actually into lifting as some kind of mutant freaky scary thing...even though we're doing things that have been around for 100 years or more and these movements are basically the foundation of any solid lifting program.

If you just want somewhere to go for some general fitness...plenty of cardio equipment and resistance machines, and some dumbbells, it's fine. I used to have a membership just for cardio during crappy weather, but I found somewhere better. I would generally consider it to be a fitness center vs. a gym.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    From what you described, it will probably fit your needs.

Personally, and editorially, I wouldn't ever join one of their centers (I wouldn't call it a "gym") because I disagree with their corporate philosophies and advertisements shaming fit people.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    For what you are looking for, I would say PF is perfect and you will get what you need.
  • Fizeau
    Fizeau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would work well for you. I joined about a year ago. $30-40 annual fee. $10 plus tax monthly. I just did the single club membership as I don't travel and don't bring a companion. I go like jaynee7283 posted above. Some months I go a lot, others hardly at all. But for what works out to less than $15/month I find it to be a great resource.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Must admit, when I am over in the US at our HQ there is one behind the hotel I normally stay, and I honestly love it. They might have some strange "rules" (thee shalt not shout, thee shalt not voice an opinion), but the equipment is really good, the price super affordable for what you get, and they open at 5am

Just curious. I was out of town wanted to use a gym for a day and pf was the closest one. Guy said they charged $20 for a day pass. WTH that is black membership for a month.

How much they charge you?
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I may give the week's free membership a try and see what I think.
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am a member at PF and I haven't had any problems. I signed up with the initial fee was waived... there is usually a promotion of some kind, so I would see if there is one now. If not, I guarantee one will come back around. I pay $20/month for the black membership which includes access to all facilities in the country, unlimited guest privileges, massage, tanning, and "personal training" in addition to just regular gym access. I sometimes go a lot, I live in Michigan and winter is unbearable, and some months I don't go at all, but I think for $20/month it works out well.

I have never had a problem with the staff or the facility itself. I think it's funny that people are complaining about their "philosophies" and "shaming" practices. I have never seen that. They talk about being "lunk free" and "judgment free" and personally I appreciate that. I go to the gym to run and lift, not to be hit on. So, if it keeps some of the lunks away, I don't mind. That being said, I have seen many fit people, lunking around the gym and it's not like they are shaming them or kicking them out. So, if you are just going to get your workout in and keep to yourself, I think it's a great place to work out.

That's just my opinion.....
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's cheap. It's accessible. They have a lot of stuff for cardio, and dumbbell work.

If you're not into weightlifting, then I'd be hard pressed to find a better place to suit your needs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    From what you described, it will probably fit your needs.

Personally, and editorially, I wouldn't ever join one of their centers (I wouldn't call it a "gym") because I disagree with their corporate philosophies and advertisements shaming fit people.

^ My sentiments exactly, on both points. Probably a good fit for what the OP is looking for, but I wouldn't ever set foot inside a Planet Fitness facility because of their corporate hypocrisy/advertising. The most judgmental "no-judgment zone" that ever existed.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Adding to what other people have said...

You CAN get a good workout there, especially if you're a beginner. It wouldn't be optimal, due to some of their more ridiculous rules and restrictions, but you can make progress.

If you want to make progress faster, you'd be better off going to a more full-fledged gym that has better equipment and allows the exercises that they strangely prohibit. If that's not an option though, then yeah, you can still make a decent amount of progress at PF.

I would recommend supplementing it with some other workouts, though. Perhaps some intense boot camp classes at some other facility. Trust me when I say that most people don't realize how valuable these kinds of intensive efforts can be -- especially for beginners.
  • CodyQuinlan
    CodyQuinlan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    I have never had a problem with the staff or the facility itself. I think it's funny that people are complaining about their "philosophies" and "shaming" practices. I have never seen that. They talk about being "lunk free" and "judgment free" and personally I appreciate that. I go to the gym to run and lift, not to be hit on. So, if it keeps some of the lunks away, I don't mind. That being said, I have seen many fit people, lunking around the gym and it's not like they are shaming them or kicking them out. So, if you are just going to get your workout in and keep to yourself, I think it's a great place to work out.

This!! I have been a member of PF for two years and I have never seen any of the negative things people think goes on at PF. Honestly most of the people I see working out there are quite fit/muscular and no one gives anyone crap about anything. I've never had to deal with what I hear a lot of people deal with at other gyms - constantly being hit on, people getting in the way by standing there taking selfies and "pretending" to work out. That sounds ridiculous to me. Everyone I see there is there to better themselves and that's it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    brenstar05 wrote: »

This!! I have been a member of PF for two years and I have never seen any of the negative things people think goes on at PF. Honestly most of the people I see working out there are quite fit/muscular and no one gives anyone crap about anything. I've never had to deal with what I hear a lot of people deal with at other gyms - constantly being hit on, people getting in the way by standing there taking selfies and "pretending" to work out. That sounds ridiculous to me. Everyone I see there is there to better themselves and that's it.

That doesn't happen at most gyms either BTW.