Gym and Gains Advice

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Just want some opinions, while trying to gain to you think it's wise to take a temporary break from the gym until you reach your ideal goal weight ?

Or do you think it's smarter to work out while trying to gain ?

If by "going to the gym" you mean spending 30 minutes on the elliptical machine or doing zumba, then yes, it's probably better to stay away.

I would echo the above, and suggest that if you're trying to gain weight in the form of muscle mass, it would be well worth your time to go to the gym, in the form of lifting weights.

Thanks, I do try and avoid cardio because I don't want to burn a lot of calories .. Though I've been finding I'm burning a lot of fat by doing to much weight lifting ? Do you think it's time to higher the weight ? Or avoid the gym to re bulk ?

what is your gym routine like?

Warm ups with out weights, then sometimes I mix it up and start with high weights to low weight or low to high.. I do like 10-12 reps but a lot of sets

what are "out" weights?

Again, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, PHUL, etc....

weight lifting really does not burn that many calories, unless one is circuit training or doing boot camp style workouts....

Do I gotta pay for those programs ?

no they are free, just google them ...

all pro beginner and strong lifts are more beginner based
    PHUL, Wendlers, are more intermediate
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle you would be best advised to work out using a structured, progressive program rather than mixing it up or just doing what you feel like on each gym visit.

Yea that's pretty much what I do.. I just work out what ever I feel like doing that day, which is mostly legs or abs. :|

that is not a structured lifting program ....

a structured lifting program is where you hit the same group every day and then you progressively lift heavier weights over x amount of time ...

doing what you feel like doing is not structured....

Lol I feel like you read everything I write wrong haha :p that or I gotta go back to school.

I do legs pretty much every day and they do get stronger and I add weight and also do abs a couple times a week.. But my legs aren't getting bigger they are like shrinking

doing legs pretty much every day is not a structured lifting program ...

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just want some opinions, while trying to gain to you think it's wise to take a temporary break from the gym until you reach your ideal goal weight ?

If by "going to the gym" you mean spending 30 minutes on the elliptical machine or doing zumba, then yes, it's probably better to stay away.

I would echo the above, and suggest that if you're trying to gain weight in the form of muscle mass, it would be well worth your time to go to the gym, in the form of lifting weights.

Thanks, I do try and avoid cardio because I don't want to burn a lot of calories .. Though I've been finding I'm burning a lot of fat by doing to much weight lifting ? Do you think it's time to higher the weight ? Or avoid the gym to re bulk ?

Warm ups with out weights, then sometimes I mix it up and start with high weights to low weight or low to high.. I do like 10-12 reps but a lot of sets

what are "out" weights?

Again, I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, wendlers, all pro beginner, PHUL, etc....

weight lifting really does not burn that many calories, unless one is circuit training or doing boot camp style workouts....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is a link to all, and more, of those programs.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle you would be best advised to work out using a structured, progressive program rather than mixing it up or just doing what you feel like on each gym visit.

Yea that's pretty much what I do.. I just work out what ever I feel like doing that day, which is mostly legs or abs. :|

a structured lifting program is where you hit the same group every day and then you progressively lift heavier weights over x amount of time ...

Lol I feel like you read everything I write wrong haha :p that or I gotta go back to school.

I do legs pretty much every day and they do get stronger and I add weight and also do abs a couple times a week.. But my legs aren't getting bigger they are like shrinking

Nor is it a good idea.
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

what are "out" weights?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is a link to all, and more, of those programs.

Thank you !! (:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nor is it a good idea.

You know nothing jon snow!!!
    SQUATS4LIFE
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

so 7x a week?

in...for dem quads...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

so 7x a week?

in...for dem quads...

Yeah, quads, we'll go with that. ;)
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Get them compound exercises going!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

so 7x a week?

in...for dem quads...

And dat *kitten*
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Over training on the legs
  • crsportsman1
    crsportsman1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're over training... google it!
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

Hahaha:)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

so 7x a week?

in...for dem quads...
    Twice a day- for 7 days a week. dem quads is right!

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

so 7x a week?

in...for dem quads...

wink wink- nudge nudge....

Nor is it a good idea.

SQUATS4LIFE

so 7x a week?

in...for dem quads...

And dat *kitten*

seriously- who flagged this. Really- squats4life is really all about datA$$- I have no shame in mine. NO SHAMING THE A**.
  • chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy diet. Eat more than your maintenance level (TDEE). Gain lean muscle mass by weight training with heavy weights with low repetitions. If you're losing weight when strength training you maybe doing light weights with high reps? Weight lifting generally typically does not burn a lot of calories/kilojoules unless your doing HIIT with light weights or a circuit style routine. Also work your macro level out too and try to stick to that. I used to just look at the kilojoules but now also try to stay within my macro range I have set. Good luck I hope you sort it out!
  • chrismwpcs
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you can do a leg training session daily, you are not working hard enough. It takes me about 4 days to recover from a session. I saw one routine from the above post that said squats and deadlifts the same session. Hmm, after a good run of deadlifts you shouldn't be able to do squats and visa versa. My deadlift day tomorrow will consist of about 7 to 8 sets of deadlifts. Warm up by set 2 and get to working by set 4 and drop set 3 or 4 sets to failure. Then tackle calves, and onto the torture machines for leg press, extensions and leg curls. Pain is just 12 hours away lol.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    chrismwpcs wrote: »
    If you can do a leg training session daily, you are not working hard enough. It takes me about 4 days to recover from a session. I saw one routine from the above post that said squats and deadlifts the same session. Hmm, after a good run of deadlifts you shouldn't be able to do squats and visa versa. My deadlift day tomorrow will consist of about 7 to 8 sets of deadlifts. Warm up by set 2 and get to working by set 4 and drop set 3 or 4 sets to failure. Then tackle calves, and onto the torture machines for leg press, extensions and leg curls. Pain is just 12 hours away lol.

Squats and DLs in the same training session is perfectly acceptable in some circumstances. Probably THE most respected beginners program - Starting Strength by Rippetoe has squats every session and combines the two every other session.
  • chrismwpcs
    Options
    With two major compound exercises like squats and deadlifts I wouldn't manage both with how I train. If you train with moderate intensity then sure you could do both.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    With two major compound exercises like squats and deadlifts I wouldn't manage both with how I train. If you train with moderate intensity then sure you could do both.

I wouldn't speak in absolutes. Just because you can't do that, doesn't mean others cannot. I never had an issue with doing both and I train hard.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I wouldn't speak in absolutes. Just because you can't do that, doesn't mean others cannot. I never had an issue with doing both and I train hard.

Some do but programs at the intermediate or advanced levels rarely have them together unless they are doing sometype of volume/intenstiy manipulation such as DUP. Once you start getting into very heavy weght loads relative to your bodyweight (think 3x on deadlifts and 2x on squats and greater weight) it puts a huge strain on your entire system including CNS and that causes your performance to be suboptimal if you are trying to do two big exercises together.