How do you cope with PMS?

Options
I've noticed that I'm pretty good with diet and exercise, up until PMS strikes... and then it's downhill from there until I'm finished with my period. For me, this especially takes its toll, since I get really intense food cravings while PMSing, and then for the next 9 days of my period (yes, 9 days), I experience swollen joints, nausea, aching, cramping, fatigue, etc. I always end up eating a bunch of really weird foods (sometimes too fatty, sometimes too carby, sometimes too sugary -- and almost always over my calorie limit) the first day, and then spending the next week and two days not exercising because it hurts to do so and because I feel like I'm going to vomit (and sometimes do).

I'm also pretty sure I retain more water while I'm on my period, and so weighing myself is always depressing -- doubly so, because I'm extra moody and more likely to get frustrated and "give up" on my diet for those 9 days.

It seems like I'm trying to cope with not just one double-whammy, but two: the over eating and lack of exercise, and the bathroom scale of hate and the pessimistic mood.

How does everyone else deal with this? Any good tips for limiting food intake, continuing to exercise despite being in pain or feeling ill, or for keeping your mood elevated?

Replies

• fitforMYSELF
    Options
    bump
  • bwesser
    bwesser Posts: 61
    Options
    I feel like when I go for a long walk when I'm on my period will make my mood change to a more positive one, and it helps with the swollen joints. The endorphines will brighten your mood... so try your best to do some light workouts so you feel better and don't throw up.

Have you considered going on BC? The only reason I'm on it is so that I don't get my 7-10 day periods that I used to have. My symptoms were also pretty bad... so ask your doctor about it... I have more energy, shorter period and less symptoms.
  • otranquility
    Options
    I agree with the PP that maybe speaking to your doctor about going on BC.

Also, I find that taking baths usually helps during that TOM.
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well I go downhill when im on my period as well. I dont exercise tho i still eat right and dont weigh myself because it makes me wanna cry. I retain alot of water so its like wth!!! After its done tho I have noticed that nothings changed so dont freak out as much. btw 9 days??? bless your heart.. Ive noticed as Ive lost these 29lbs my periods went from 7 to 4 days so for me its not as bad..Good luck and stay strong with the cravings
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How hilarious that this was the top post when I opened the motivation area. I have the SAME issue.

I have been keeping my diary for nearly two complete cycles so I know it's just how I operate....knew it already but now I have the data to back it up. PMS and I am all 'screw this' (not extremely but pretty bad). Period is gone and I'm back on track.

It seems to not totally do in my efforts but it stinks.

I did do a tiny bit of reading last month and saw a suggestion from a trainer to keep sodium WAY low during PMS. I'm not certain but that could make me want to jump off a cliff. It seems I'm super cranky if I can satisfy whatever my craving is.

Maybe the answer is to find some great choices that satisfy the need for generic cravings.....'salty'.....'sweet'.......'fattening' - hahahah! So maybe........toasted almonds........dark chocolate.........avocado.
  • skinnyrache
    skinnyrache Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear what others have to say! Once PMS strikes, all motivation goes out the window for me. I also get food cravings and so lethargic, not to mention the bloating, pain, and emotional roller coaster!

I have found that since changing my diet that my PMS doesn't seem as extreme. I have a little more energy and motivation and the food cravings aren't as intense, but I still really struggle to stay in my calorie range and to push myself in my workouts.

I've decided that this time around I will stay away from the scale entirely so I don't get discouraged by the numbers. I'm trying to create a workout plan that isn't too tough that I can stick to during the week. Hopefully I can just keep the right perspective and keep on going. Sorry I'm not much help, I have a lot to learn in this area. Hopefully some others will have some good advice!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I exercise with during my period, it really helps. I also eat dark chocolate with almond butter. The chocolate has a natural pain killer and the almond butter has magnesium which you really need when you have really bad cramps. Drink a lot of water. You could also try some green tea, it can help you stay full.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I usually keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I would put the scale away during that time of the month if I were you. It never leads to happy thoughts for me, so I literally take the batteries out and stash it under the sink until I'm good and sure my period's over.

I agree with previous posters about going on BC, too--my periods were long and gruelling like yours until I started taking Yaz three years ago. Now it's only four days of bleeding and maybe one day of light cramping, and I can always still make it to the gym. Cravings are also less, though they're still there, they're just easier to deal with.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Smile and say 'Yes ma'am" and "You're right!"
    ....and get away as quickly as possible! :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I exercise more and drink more water. I've always had terrible cramping and that seems to relate directly back to how much I eat (the more cramping the more food I want). I find that the more I exercise the better my cramping is and it usually takes pretty good care of my appetite, and if it doesn't I've built up enough excess calories in my day to indulge a craving or two along the way.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Two parts Midol Complete and one part Dieurex. I call it my Midol cocktail. Gets rid of my achiness, cramps, bloat and all-around feeling of crudiness during my TOM. But I still avoid weighing myself during that week.
  • otranquility
    Options
    Another thing I wanted to mention (don't quote me on this because it's just hearsay) but when you are craving certain types of food during that time, it is for a reason.

So when you crave chocolate, it is usually because your body needs iron. So go for a snack that is high in iron and not bad for you.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't cope!! I give in to all cravings, urges, and mood swings. hahahaha
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    I am just like you..8-9 days!! Grrr such a bummer! I'm on day 6 today, so I completely understand... I am exhuasted, to the point of feeling like I can't move, but if I force myself, like I did today, I feel tons better. I just tell myself to relax a bit during TOM and do light activity, walking, pilates, stretching. That way I'm getting some movement and it helps with my energy. As far as food goes, I think the overeating stems from low iron and fatigue. Try to limit yourself, but indulge a little..it helps with my sanity. I made brownies the other day..and I actually measured it! It was worth every bite and I was down today.
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told

When will my husband learn this method?!
  • adellepuppy
    adellepuppy Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't find any way around the increased cravings. What worked for me was to orient myself to using foods that don't do a lot of calorie damage to satisfy the cravings - carrots, celery, tofu, shiratake noodles.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem right this second.

My periods are really heavy for the first 2-3 days and I'm already anaemic, so I get soo tired. I'm having 2-3 hour naps after work currently.
    I have a history of depression, and for a couple of days before and during, I just feel really down, don't want to do anything and see everything with a negative twist.
    I eat so much ****, and then that makes me feel even more depressed cos I feel fat, and also get the bloating thing too. In fact today at work (in a nursery) one of the kids poked my belly and said I had a baby in there. THANKS FOR THAT! Lol.

I guess I'm just glad all this only lasts for me for around 4 days (2 before and 2 during) and my period dies down after the 3rd day, but lasts for 5 in total usually. Between 3-6 days. I might get the contraceptive injection, but I'm guessing the cravings and crampings might still occur?

Try go on a walk, no matter how short. It just gets you out the house and to have some time away from people. :smile:
  • cfremon
    cfremon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I go for a long walk when I'm on my period will make my mood change to a more positive one, and it helps with the swollen joints. The endorphines will brighten your mood... so try your best to do some light workouts so you feel better and don't throw up.

Have you considered going on BC? The only reason I'm on it is so that I don't get my 7-10 day periods that I used to have. My symptoms were also pretty bad... so ask your doctor about it... I have more energy, shorter period and less symptoms.

Thanks! I'll definitely give the walking a shot. That's probably going to be easier than the exercising I typically do.

As for hormonal BC, I actually have been experiencing much better symptoms since getting off of it. I tried out Necon, Orthotricyclen, NuvaRing, and Depo Provera, and all of them have caused my symptoms to be worse rather than better. All of them make me put on more weight, make me moodier, increase my cramping, etc. The OBGYNs I've seen haven't been able to explain why all of these medications are making my symptoms worse rather than better, and they seem to only have two solutions to problematic periods: prescribing a different type of hormonal birth control or prescribing SSRIs (mood medications). After ten years of trying out different hormonal BCs, and then trying life without hormonal BC, I think I'm better off without... At least when I'm not on it, I don't have to call in sick to work when I get my period. As for the SSRIs, I don't think mood medication is really going to help with cramping, nausea, swollen joints, etc. : \
  • cfremon
    cfremon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, I find that taking baths usually helps during that TOM.

Hahahaha -- yeah, I definitely enjoy having a soak. :)