Newlyweds Who Eat Differently

2»

Replies

• Megthechef43
    Megthechef43 Posts: 10 Member
    My husband and I are similar to your story. He can't gain weight, he tries but just can't. His metabolism is off the charts. I, on the other hand, look at chocolate and gain weight.

We grill a lot. We will grill the meat so you can portion that out how you like. I eat 3-4oz and he eats his fill. I serve this with a vegetable side that is healthy and I like and a carb side that I usually don't eat. This could be rice or pasta.

That way he can add bbq sauce to his meats and I don't. I can eat lean, clean, and green but he still gets all the food he needs.
  • Megthechef43
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your male counterpart is always going to have higher calorie needs than you regardless of football, etc...my wife has smaller portions than I do...my wife tends to have protein and veg with dinner...I have more protein, more veg, and starches/grains. I eat desert most nights...she doesn't. I have 3-4 snacks per day...she has 1-2 and we both snack on different things. She has egg white omelets for breakfast and a small serving of oats...I have whole eggs for breakfast and a full serving of oats and add peanut butter...etc, etc, etc.

THAT'S SEXIST!!

Women and Men process food differently. What may work for my husband does not work for me. I eat 1/4 cup oats for breakfast with cinnamon and my husband has a huge bowl of oats with peanut butter. It's not sexist to understand that males and females have different nutrition needs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Your male counterpart is always going to have higher calorie needs than you regardless of football, etc...my wife has smaller portions than I do...my wife tends to have protein and veg with dinner...I have more protein, more veg, and starches/grains. I eat desert most nights...she doesn't. I have 3-4 snacks per day...she has 1-2 and we both snack on different things. She has egg white omelets for breakfast and a small serving of oats...I have whole eggs for breakfast and a full serving of oats and add peanut butter...etc, etc, etc.

THAT'S SEXIST!!

Women and Men process food differently. What may work for my husband does not work for me. I eat 1/4 cup oats for breakfast with cinnamon and my husband has a huge bowl of oats with peanut butter. It's not sexist to understand that males and females have different nutrition needs.

Well that's... different.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    auddii wrote: »

THAT'S SEXIST!!

And also totally not true. I usually eat more than my BF when I'm bulking, and he has 8" and 40-50 pounds on me. Me being a woman has nothing to do with how I process food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

THAT'S SEXIST!!

My wife definitely thinks so...especially when I'm eating desert.... :D
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    My husband and I are the same way. I cook about 1500 calories worth of high-protein meals and let him fill in his calories with whatever else he wants to eat. He usually snacks on nuts, yogurt, dried fruit, gummy candies, jerky, corn chips, and/or ice cream. I usually only have room for a small snack.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I agree with the other posters who said to have smaller portions of what you fix for him, and add in vegetables. Plus, if you don't eat together at the two other meals, you can adapt those - you can eat lower calorie foods for breakfast and lunch so you have more room in your day for dinner, and he can eat higher calorie foods and possibly more snacks if it helps.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Make things like stir fry where he can double the chicken and rice, where you can keep portions where you need and fill with veggies.

I often eat many less carbs and meat than my partner, but I cook all our dinners. It's really not hard to plan a weeks meals that fit his needs then tweak them for your own. Not a completely different meal, but less of certain foods and more of others. You can always make lighter dinners and have him double portion sizes.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    My husband needs about twice as many calories as I do. He can't cook but I've learned to make adjustments. We had meatloaf, cauliflower and boiled potatoes the other night - he got a larger portion of the meatloaf, I added butter to his cauliflower and cheese to his potatoes. He had rolls, I didn't. You just have to be a little creative, but it's really doable once you get in the routine.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    My husband and I are similar to your story. He can't gain weight, he tries but just can't. His metabolism is off the charts. I, on the other hand, look at chocolate and gain weight.

We grill a lot. We will grill the meat so you can portion that out how you like. I eat 3-4oz and he eats his fill. I serve this with a vegetable side that is healthy and I like and a carb side that I usually don't eat. This could be rice or pasta.

That way he can add bbq sauce to his meats and I don't. I can eat lean, clean, and green but he still gets all the food he needs.

Does your husband weigh/measure and log his food?

I suspect his metabolism is more on the charts than you think...

(...and this is from a former "hard-gainer" with a TDEE of ~3400.)
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    Hi! I got married this past August. Life together has been AMAZING, but we have a problem...

He is a college football player trying to bulk up and maintain muscle. I am trying to lose about 10-15 pounds. He can't cook; I'm the only one who cooks dinner at night. I usually end up giving in to my husband's needs and making high-protein, high-calorie meals so that he can have enough fuel for his practices and games. However, with only 2 of us, it doesn't make sense to cook two different meals for each of us. I end up eating whatever I make for him, which doesn't help my weight-loss goals.

Help! Anyone have advice for how I can be more disciplined? Portion control advice? Recipes that would satisfy both of us? Anything would help! I love my man and want to keep him full and energized, but my cooking style is bulking us BOTH up...

Me and my fiance eat differently. I'm not sure why you and your husband have to eat the same meal...... If he wants pasta, he makes it and I cook my chicken. If you don't have a whole family to cook for, this seems like it could be done.
  • Megthechef43
    AliceDark wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

THAT'S SEXIST!!

And also totally not true. I usually eat more than my BF when I'm bulking, and he has 8" and 40-50 pounds on me. Me being a woman has nothing to do with how I process food.

Thank you for pointing that out. My opinion might be faulty. It's not that Men and Women process differently. A calorie burned is a calorie burned. But it looks like you are very active, which is awesome and envious. I don't and I'm working hard to lose weight and maintain a better approach to my diet. In my limited experience (but is not true for the mass population) It's the men in my life that require more calories on a day to day basis.

If you were to put in to a random calorie calculator online (I used Active.com) Height 5'8", Weight 180, Age 25, and Activity level as Active. It would tell you that a Male would need 2901 calories a day, and Female would need 2442.

But my active level is so much lower than my husband's active level which is why he needs way more calories than me. He needs to gain weight while I need to lose it.

As for the comments being sexist, I don't think one gender is superior based on calorie needs from the original comment. He was pointing out that he and his wife eat differently. Everyone is different as you have pointed out.

• semcadam
    semcadam Posts: 19 Member
    I'm sort of in the same situation - my husband isn't "bulking" per se, but he is a pretty picky eater, and needs about 800-1000 calories more than me a day. We don't eat breakfast or lunch together - I pack both of those for him. Come dinner time, I usually plan for myself to have one serving of whatever I cook and for him to have 1.5-2. If he wants pasta, I will usually just cook extra veggies for myself instead of eating the pasta.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    :neutral: