I keep gaining weight!

Options
I log all of my food. I'm active. I eat healthy. But I still keep gaining! In the past, it's been really easy for me to lose weight but I just can't now. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's muscle weight which im sure you've heard before. Maybe try eating less by 100 calorie increments until you hit a daily amount that causes you to lose weight granted it's not less than 1200 calories. If you're already eating 1200 maybe go see a doctor and see what they recommend.
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    weigh your food.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How's your logging? Are you using a food scale, accurate entries, the recipe builder? If you eat back exercise calories are you calculating them correctly?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Eating "healthy" doesn't guarantee anything. Neither does exercise. (Exercise is great, but it won't "make" you lose weight.) You need a calorie deficit.

As has been mentioned, you also need to weigh your food, and log it. Otherwise, you're guessing at calorie counts and could be a little off to a lot off.

Finally - have you chosen a sensible calorie goal? How much weight do you want to lose? Sometimes in the rush to want to lose, people choose a very low limit and then have issues with falling off the tracks and eating everything in sight. It can set up a bad cycle.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Eating "healthy" doesn't guarantee anything. Neither does exercise. (Exercise is great, but it won't "make" you lose weight.) You need a calorie deficit.

As has been mentioned, you also need to weigh your food, and log it. Otherwise, you're guessing at calorie counts and could be a little off to a lot off.

Finally - have you chosen a sensible calorie goal? How much weight do you want to lose? Sometimes in the rush to want to lose, people choose a very low limit and then have issues with falling off the tracks and eating everything in sight. It can set up a bad cycle.

I eat about 1,100 calories a day. I don't have a food scale because in the past I could lose weight without one. I just bought one online though. Hoping it will help.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    1100 = too low
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I eat about 1,100 calories a day. I don't have a food scale because in the past I could lose weight without one. I just bought one online though. Hoping it will help.

And there is your answer. How do you know you're consuming 1100 calories if you don't weigh anything???

hkl4dkrpiyv3.jpg

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    "Eyeballing" portions usually results in people eating a lot more than they think.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    "Eyeballing" portions usually results in people eating a lot more than they think.

True. I usually use measuring cups and spoons but there are times where I don't. I'm sure I overdo it on things like oil and salad dressing
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    True. I usually use measuring cups and spoons but there are times where I don't. I'm sure I overdo it on things like oil and salad dressing

This is probably a contributing factor. The amount of food that can fit into a measuring cup, especially dry things like cereals or rice, will vary every time you scoop it. Weighing things is way more accurate. I tend to weigh my solids and scoop my liquids. I tend to weigh my salad dressings though.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's muscle weight which im sure you've heard before. Maybe try eating less by 100 calorie increments until you hit a daily amount that causes you to lose weight granted it's not less than 1200 calories. If you're already eating 1200 maybe go see a doctor and see what they recommend.

gaining muscle on 1100 calorie diet?? no.
  • James12315
    James12315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Are you snacking at all throughout the day? I can only assume that perhaps during some of your meals or snacks perhaps you aren't aware of the actual calories of the quantity of the food your consuming. You definetly should not be gaining weight at 1,100 calories. Do you have an open diary, if you would like I can try see where your errors may be.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

No that's very doubtful . its more likely that this op is not logging accurately because she isn't using a food scale.
    People seem to be under the impression that if they eat " healthy " that they will lose weight. That isn't true. Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. As far as weight loss is concerned, it makes no difference if the person ate 1200 cals of carrot or 1200 cals of cake. Obviously the cake example would not be a good daily diet though. But for weight loss ,it makes no difference.

Op, get yourself a food scale. Learn how to weigh all your solids and measure your liquids. Being as accurate as possible helps a lot !
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what "keep gaining" actually means. How much weight did you gain and how long has it been?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what "keep gaining" actually means. How much weight did you gain and how long has it been?
    This.

Also, agreed with the above.... use a food scale, you're eating more than you think if you cannot lose on 1100.