Food Diary

Options
eliza2811
eliza2811 Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2016 in Getting Started
Fairly new to everything. Been doing Slimming World for 4 weeks and lost 4lbs. My question is how precise do you have to be when filling in the food diary on MFP ? I don't mind putting in what I eat and drink each but don't want to be working out calorie content if I can help it or weighing things. It's all a bit fiddly for me

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's one of those things where you get out what you put in. Accuracy is the key. A lot of people, especially those with more to lose have more wriggle room in their allowance and can get away with a "near enough is good enough" approach but when you have less of a goal to play with and the calories between losing and maintaining aren't so many, accuracy is what will keep you getting there. The addage is "if you only kind of follow the program, it only kind of works".

See if your way results in losses. If it doesn't, your accuracy is the first thing I'd look at.

And really, if it didn't take effort, there'd be a lot less people needing to lose weight in the world.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and lifestyle changes take effort. Every effort put forth will be worth it. You are worth it.
  • eliza2811
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It feels dead confusing. Say I have jacket potato, tuna and salad for lunch. How would I know calorie content on the jacket or salad? Tuna out of a can is easier. Or a piece of fruit?
  • eliza2811
    Options
    Thanks Vanessa :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    You need a food scale, nothing fancy, a $15 one is fine. the database really has the rest for you. Weigh the food, look it up, log it in the diary :)

Have a read of this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    eliza2811 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. It feels dead confusing. Say I have jacket potato, tuna and salad for lunch. How would I know calorie content on the jacket or salad? Tuna out of a can is easier. Or a piece of fruit?

The best thing to do is invest in a food scale and weigh everything.
  • eliza2811
    Options
    Thanks very much x
  • Alatariel75
    Options
  • embear2
    embear2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My kitchen scale is my best friend, everything goes on. You then build up a list of common foods you've eaten. If something has a bar code, I always scan to bring up the item, then weigh how much I'm having for accuracy. Keep at it, it's really good.