Does eating healthier foods cause more weightloss?

Options
If I ate 1200 calories of veggies and healthy foods will I lose more weight than if I ate 1200 of less healthy foods (Meaning greasy burgers, french fries...even though I know it's not necessarily unhealthy in and of itself in moderation)?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is 1200 calories. You'll lose the same amount of weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No, but you might feel fuller and be less hangry. You also may be more healthy if you get all your necessary nutrients. But for weight loss itself you just need a calorie deficit.
  • M4rni3
    M4rni3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not really but healthy foods tend to be much lower in calories and it's always better for you in the long term. You won't lose less weight if you switch a meal for a bunch of chocolate (I'm guilty of that sometimes) as long as you stay below your goal number of calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    IMHO you feel a lot better not going with the heavy "greasy burgers french fries or just anything dipped in grease".. But you need to try it out first to see if you would feel better or not eating heavy fatty salty greasy food.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    imagine if your 1200 cals came from fiber. some fiber wont digest (just goes through u pushing everything else out) so those calories will cause a defecit. if u ate non fiber ( animals products ) the fiber thing wont happen.

i went from years of a 1200 calorie goal an a standard veggie diet (lots of milk/yoghurt etc) to 2300 cals abundant vegan diet , eating healthy "cheesecakes" biscuits etc (all plant based and extremely yum and healthy) and went from 52 kilos to 47! and i maintain 47/48 .....

if u wanna go vegan please look to insta for inspo! #whatveganseat and complete protein sources like hemp seeds / rice and beans!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    imagine if your 1200 cals came from fiber. some fiber wont digest (just goes through u pushing everything else out) so those calories will cause a defecit. if u ate non fiber ( animals products ) the fiber thing wont happen.

i went from years of a 1200 calorie goal an a standard veggie diet (lots of milk/yoghurt etc) to 2300 cals abundant vegan diet , eating healthy "cheesecakes" biscuits etc (all plant based and extremely yum and healthy) and went from 52 kilos to 47! and i maintain 47/48 .....

if u wanna go vegan please look to insta for inspo! #whatveganseat and complete protein sources like hemp seeds / rice and beans!

Being vegan does not equate to being able to eat more calories. Vegans don't defy the laws of science.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    Weight loss no. Other measurements like oveall nutrition, yes.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The problem with consuming junk food beyond not getting the necessary nutrients is you will likely never feel satisfied and want to keep eating more.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Being vegan does not equate to being able to eat more calories. Vegans don't defy the laws of science.

:D I know several vegans who'd disagree.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

They're special, gotcha.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I can't speak for vegans but the vegetarians I know do not eat anything I'd call a healthy diet. One I know won't even eat vegetables. I would say it is probably more that the person who eats more calories and doesn't gain has a higher TDEE, not that they can eat more because they are vegan.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This is misinformation
  • jamierosenblum
    jamierosenblum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If your calories are coming from vegetables and you accidently do a heaping cup of lettuce instead of an even cup, it won't make much difference in your weight loss. Make the same mistake with a big cookie instead of a little one and you are getting way more extra calories. Similarly, higher refined carbs can make you retain water which will affect the weight you see in the short term at least.

Most calorie counts I see include the fiber as 4 calories/gram. I aim to eat 40 g of fiber per day. If I ate no fiber, I would be getting 160 extra calories per day that can be stored as fat.

I agree that I'm much more satisfied if many of my calories come from veggies, protein and healthy fats. That said, I include a moderate amount of an occasional treat in my calorie count and I can still lose weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is 1200 calories as far as weight loss goes. It wouldn't matter for weight loss .

For overall health, it would make a difference.

A well balanced diet is preferable but that can include treats and desserts in moderation. Figure out what balance works best for you
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I can't speak for vegans but the vegetarians I know do not eat anything I'd call a healthy diet. One I know won't even eat vegetables. I would say it is probably more that the person who eats more calories and doesn't gain has a higher TDEE, not that they can eat more because they are vegan.

You can have a healthy diet, no matter whether you are vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or a good old fashioned meat eater. The large bulk of my friends are vegans or vegetarians so I've heard so many arguments from both sides, they are no healthier than me and like you say if a vegetarian doesn't eat veg how can they be healthier than an omnivore who covers all nutritional macros?

I sometimes get the idea that their feelings of animal cruelty etc actually outweigh the facts of nutrition, hence my mocking comment.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I ate 1200 calories of veggies and healthy foods will I lose more weight than if I ate 1200 of less healthy foods (Meaning greasy burgers, french fries...even though I know it's not necessarily unhealthy in and of itself in moderation)?

I'm vegan and eat that many calories or less but I've still gained weight. Unless you're eating all clean foods you probably won't lose any more weight than 1200 calories of French fries...
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Nothing works by itself in a vacuum.

Tell me, between (junk) foods that shut down your body, make it inactive vs foods that stimulate activeness, correct synthesization of energy, body rebuiding/functioning, which one induces more weight loss?

https://www.caring.com/articles/5-early-warning-signs-of-diabetes

"After eating, all carbohydrates -- whether in a doughnut or a carrot -- are broken down into the bloodstream as glucose (blood sugar), the body's main energy source. When the blood containing the glucose hits the pancreas, this organ gets the message to release insulin, a hormone it produces to help the cells throughout the body use glucose. Cells have insulin receptors that allow glucose to enter and either be stored as future energy or used right away.

It's a great system. But a diet that's high in simple carbs like sugar, white flour, and sweet beverages -- especially when consumed in large quantities at one sitting -- overwhelms it. According to Reardon, the cells' insulin receptors eventually stop receiving the insulin, which means they can't take in the glucose. The glucose builds up in the blood while the needy cells don't get any. The pancreas, meanwhile, notes the glucose level is still high in the blood that flows through it, and it pumps out still more insulin in response. Net result: You feel sleepy and may find it hard to think, because your brain and body are depleted until the system rights itself."
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I'm vegan and eat that many calories or less but I've still gained weight. Unless you're eating all clean foods you probably won't lose any more weight than 1200 calories of French fries...

Uh no.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Uh no.

If you eat all fruit veggies and grains you would lose weight. I'm saying if you eat 1200 calories of vegan pizza, burgers, junk food you wouldn't lose any more weight than if you ate meat junk food items. Junk is junk.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Depends on the type of fiber and your country's labeling laws. Soluble fiber gives about 1.8 calories/gram (via bacterial fermentation and absorption of fermentation byproducts) while insoluble fiber gives a lot less.

In the USA, calorie labels are permitted but not required to count all insoluble fiber as 0 calories, so the label may be showing the calories not counting fiber.