Rear End Hurts!

Options
2»

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This pain has been just a part of my life for months that I never mentioned it to my trainer (who also happens to own the gym I belong to). I finally did this morning! After fussing at me, he did some stretches with me that targeted my sore area and it seems to help. I will need to do this every time I go to the gym for a while as well as invest in a foam roller to work on some things on my own. Then when I see my doc in a few weeks, if it is not better I can get a referral if necessary. I will also be switching elliptical machines for my cardio to see if that helps as well.

This weekend I will be shopping for a seat pad ... luckily it is not my tailbone that is the problem as some of you have outlined. I have deeply bruised it in the past and it took months before the pain went away.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have been bony enough that my back was a constant line of bruises from doing sit ups (I was a kid and they had us do sit ups on concrete basketball court) and my butt didn't hurt all the time, it seems more likely that you have hip problems. Happy you got some relief from the stretches, and hope you can figure it out.
  • hectorh82
    hectorh82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i dont know your workouts, but think about your posture!! that always gets neglected in certain workouts and you use your bootay to do all the resistance instead of what you are working out lol.. also, there are two types of pain.. warning pain and sore pain.. its up to you to decide which is which and rest if you need too..
  • rhtexasgal
    Options
    Based on the videos that successgal1 posted, I am almost positive that the high hamstring tendonitis tendonopathy is what is the problem. I have been doing more research (sort of playing hooky at work), reviewing anatomy charts, anecdotal evidence, etc. and I am sure this is what it likely is.

Now before you all jump on me for self-diagnosing, I have a doctor's appointment for a complete physical anyway in just under two weeks. However, it does not hurt anything to start with stretches and a foam roller, etc.

Since I hate the treadmill and I do not run or jog ("high impact" foot strike on hard surfaces may re-injure a kneecap I shattered a few years ago), I often use either a recumbent bike or an elliptical cross trainer in the gym like this one: newlifecardioequipment.com/precor-546-v1-elliptical.html I have a feeling it is this elliptical machine that is the root of my problem. I noticed this morning, paying close attention to my posture and how I hold my hips when I am on it and realized, it was not "allowing" me a normal position and I would have to make a conscious effort to tuck in my rear end so my hips felt more in alignment. it was an ah-ha moment for me.

When I hop on this elliptical in the gym: oneshotfitness.com/articles/cybex-arc-trainer/ it offers a more natural feel in terms of posture, hip alignment, etc. So I will be making a switch I think ...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common with people who lose weight, you just don't have the padding you're used to! I'm a full-time student and I deal with this all the time!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Based on the videos that successgal1 posted, I am almost positive that the high hamstring tendonitis tendonopathy is what is the problem. I have been doing more research (sort of playing hooky at work), reviewing anatomy charts, anecdotal evidence, etc. and I am sure this is what it likely is.

Now before you all jump on me for self-diagnosing, I have a doctor's appointment for a complete physical anyway in just under two weeks. However, it does not hurt anything to start with stretches and a foam roller, etc.

Since I hate the treadmill and I do not run or jog ("high impact" foot strike on hard surfaces may re-injure a kneecap I shattered a few years ago), I often use either a recumbent bike or an elliptical cross trainer in the gym like this one: newlifecardioequipment.com/precor-546-v1-elliptical.html I have a feeling it is this elliptical machine that is the root of my problem. I noticed this morning, paying close attention to my posture and how I hold my hips when I am on it and realized, it was not "allowing" me a normal position and I would have to make a conscious effort to tuck in my rear end so my hips felt more in alignment. it was an ah-ha moment for me.

When I hop on this elliptical in the gym: oneshotfitness.com/articles/cybex-arc-trainer/ it offers a more natural feel in terms of posture, hip alignment, etc. So I will be making a switch I think ...

Glad you were able to get some good advice here and you should be on your way to resolving this issue. Good luck on relieving this issue.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I have been maintaining for a year now but I have had rear end pain for months. I believe it is from a lack of padding! The bones in my butt feel bruised :(

I have really burned a lot of fat in the nether regions and have been tightening and lifting successfully (won't talk about my belly though) ... It hurts though to sit any length of time unless I am at home in my comfy recliner. I have rigged my desk at work so I can stand most of the time but there are times when sitting is required and short of carrying a seat pad everywhere I go, do you guys have any suggestions?

Friends say it is a good problem to have but from where I am sitting (ha ha), it is painful. We will be having a road trip vacation in a few months and I am dreading it ...

is it both cheeks or just one? it could be your hip is out of alignment. you might consider a chiropractor.
  • basesteel
    basesteel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please get it checked out so it doesn't turn into a chronic issue or in any case at least so that you enjoy being you and living the life you want and love to the fullest. Injury can be a stealthy, nagging s.o.b. so just be careful.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    adapt the pain is pleasure
  • rhtexasgal
    Options
    I get adjusted by the chiropractor 3x a month along with my family (we have a special family plan with her). I had an appointment last week and nothing changed so I do not believe my hip was out of alignment. I did talk with her about it the rear end problem and she said that I am doing what I need to do plus she gave me a few more stretching exercises.

I am avoiding that one elliptical and have been doing some stretching exercises. I turned one of my old memory foam pillows into a seat cushion and this helps a lot! I had a road trip over the weekend and the pillow helped.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Is this tailbone pain or butt pain? I was dealing with tailbone pain for about 3 years before I saw a doctor. I thought I had just lost my cushion too, but it turns out that my tailbone was curved outward from giving birth and it had to be removed. Pain free ever since.
  • rhtexasgal
    Options
    Is this tailbone pain or butt pain? I was dealing with tailbone pain for about 3 years before I saw a doctor. I thought I had just lost my cushion too, but it turns out that my tailbone was curved outward from giving birth and it had to be removed. Pain free ever since.

Nope, not tailbone pain. The pain centers directly on what people would call the "sitting" bones ... in the yoga world, they call it the sitz bones.
  • mudflatmabel
    mudflatmabel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've noticed pain in my rear since I've been doing the stationary bike. It doesn't bother me so much on the recumbent bike, but I've given the stationary bike a break for a couple weeks and I'm still sore. I was thinking of bringing in one of those sheepskin seat covers to see if that helps. I have two bad knees so I don't have many options for cardio and am doing 45 minutes 3 times a week. I like to switch between the two bikes to break up the monotony. I am thinking about bringing it up when I see my doctor, too.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too...mostly when I do yoga or other exercises when I have to balance on my tailbone (i.e. some ab work). I have to put a small towel under by tailbone. When I sit on hard chairs I notice it, too. Never had this issue before!