looking for people trying to gain weight

Options
hi :)
I have been trying to gain weight on and off for about 6 or 7 seven years. I had always been unhappy with my weight and body size, until I fell pregnant with my daughter and went from 7st to 11st and size 6 to a size 12. my skin my nails my hair my smile everything was perfect. even with my huge bump I felt sexy curvy mature. I was the most confident I had ever been. however she is now two and the weight never stayed with me. over the last two years I got smaller and lighter every month now finding myself back at my typical weight of 7st.13lbs. id like to reach 9 stone. but aswell as gain weight id like to tone. I have a big belly totally out of proportion for the rest of my body. I hope to help others and allow others to help me with general support, tips, recipe ideas, encouragement and reminders. happy gaining.

Alicia xx

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First off, find out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Go on google, put in your age, sex, weight, height, and activity level. This is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat +500 calories a week for 1lb /week of weight gain. That is probably too hard, so I recommend aiming for +250 calories over your TDEE for 0.5lb / week of weight gain. Track everything you put in your mouth with a food scale and a my fitness pal account. You NEED to find high caloric foods that are easy to eat. Examples are:

-Spreadables: Peanut butter, nutella, those flavored peanut butter spreads, etc.
    -Liquid: Whole Milk, Olive oil (filled with healthy fats but lots of calories per tablespoon... I used to just take shots when I was underweight and needed more calories before bed).
    -Shakes: I used to make shakes with whole fat milk, olive oil, chocolate protein, peanut butter, bananas, etc. If you don't mind 'dirty' foods, add in ice cream too! You can easily make 1000 calorie shakes if you want!

If you are OK with it, you can 'dirty bulk' meaning having high calorie foods that are not exactly known for being healthy. So things like fast food, ice cream, pizza, whatever. If you don't want that, stick to the things I listed above.

Cheers!

Edit: Just a reminder to track your calories - underweight people overestimate how much they are eating, and overweight people underestimate it. Tracking what you eat will be a full time job, but you need to do it for at least 3 weeks until you have an idea of how much you should eat daily. 3 weeks is what it takes to build a habit / make it routine. GOOD LUCK! +250lbs each day for a gain of .5lbs per week is good, consistent progress. Aim too high and you will quit the next day.
  • Zeus727
    Zeus727 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Find a plan on bodybuilding.com that is meant for your body(most of the trainers are mothers too) for free.Better than listening to random people try popular professional female trainers there.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    have you ruled out anything medical that may be contributing to issues with keeping weight on? extra stress in your life? calculate your tdee to maintain weight and then add on to that to try and gain. it's a lot harder than people think it is to gain weight. i have been trying to regain weight since june and literally last week was the first time i finally gained two pounds. it's so hard, i have to be eating all day and be full all day almost feeling sick to put that weight on, good luck!
  • barkercraig617
    barkercraig617 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First off, find out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Go on google, put in your age, sex, weight, height, and activity level. This is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat +500 calories a week for 1lb /week of weight gain. That is probably too hard, so I recommend aiming for +250 calories over your TDEE for 0.5lb / week of weight gain. Track everything you put in your mouth with a food scale and a my fitness pal account. You NEED to find high caloric foods that are easy to eat. Examples are:

-Spreadables: Peanut butter, nutella, those flavored peanut butter spreads, etc.
    -Liquid: Whole Milk, Olive oil (filled with healthy fats but lots of calories per tablespoon... I used to just take shots when I was underweight and needed more calories before bed).
    -Shakes: I used to make shakes with whole fat milk, olive oil, chocolate protein, peanut butter, bananas, etc. If you don't mind 'dirty' foods, add in ice cream too! You can easily make 1000 calorie shakes if you want!

If you are OK with it, you can 'dirty bulk' meaning having high calorie foods that are not exactly known for being healthy. So things like fast food, ice cream, pizza, whatever. If you don't want that, stick to the things I listed above.

Cheers!

Edit: Just a reminder to track your calories - underweight people overestimate how much they are eating, and overweight people underestimate it. Tracking what you eat will be a full time job, but you need to do it for at least 3 weeks until you have an idea of how much you should eat daily. 3 weeks is what it takes to build a habit / make it routine. GOOD LUCK! +250lbs each day for a gain of .5lbs per week is good, consistent progress. Aim too high and you will quit the next day.

well said hamster man, very good job, key points, and appreciated
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @HamsterManV2. Off to recheck tdee now!