How do you manage when it's that time of the month ladies?

Options
Hi there I'm new to fitness pal and wanted to know how you ladies deal with eating the right foods when its that time of the month?

I just started today and feel like the munchies right now lol but holding back. . .help lol.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Omg. I felt like posting about this today. I'm going nuts!!!! Trying not to gain everything I lost
  • SJBanks89
    SJBanks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was terrible on my last TOM.. was told to have more magnesium a week before. I don't know if that works. However I brought dark chocolate only so I couldn't over indulge on the nice chocolate lol.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes I have found that magnesium does help a bit but certain months are wayyyyyy harder for me, this is one of them :(
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Don't ever seem to have a problem. I fast 3 times a week and not eating on days of TOM is easy for me. No cravings, snacking...... I got used to it
  • wobchunk
    wobchunk Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Omg. I felt like posting about this today. I'm going nuts!!!! Trying not to gain everything I lost

I feel like crying when that happens lol, but we can get through this.
  • wobchunk
    Options
    Don't ever seem to have a problem. I fast 3 times a week and not eating on days of TOM is easy for me. No cravings, snacking...... I got used to it

Hmmmmm I'm good at fasting so I think I may have ago tomorrow, today is going OK so far, just trying to keep my mind on others things other than food lol.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with cravings. As long as I stick to a certain amount of protein in my diet I don't really snack on crap.

During TOTM I have a much lower pain threshold though, feel a little weaker and have a bit less energy, so I adapt my exercise accordingly, but it's only 2-3 days or so.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The week before is the worst for me, I just started and now it's not so bad. But the week before, watch out, I'm starving, crabby, out of control cravings, I actually had a dream about curly fries, and that's not normal for me
    :s
  • vickymbarclay
    vickymbarclay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ha, was just wondering the same thing! Think I'll be having a couple of small treats this weekend, to give myself a break without giving up.
  • wobchunk
    Options
    During my time of the month I often feel horribly bloated so I actually can't eat that much! Everyone's different though.

Snap that's my tummy right now bloated and looking pregnant lol
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a "secret weapon" of really low carb treat recipes - the way I'm looking at it is that since I'm going to be holding water weight during my period anyway and I too suffer from the urge to inhale all foods, I'm not going to add to the water weight by sucking down carb-filled treats... I know most low carb treats are pretty high calorie b/c they tend to be high fat but honestly it still helps because higher fat intake equals more satiety so I don't feel like I need to cram food in my gob as OFTEN. I figure if I maintain during that week, I'm pretty damn happy with it and won't complain!
  • wobchunk
    Options
    Well maintaing is better than gaining I guess.
  • jennyloie1
    jennyloie1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    wobchunk wrote: »

True! But I definitely wouldn't take the fasting route. I'd pop a couple gas x and take a hot bath. Have a bowl of sliced strawberries with a tablespoon chocolate syrup and some reddi whip. A large bowl is under 250 calories!
  • wobchunk
    Options
    jennyloie1 wrote: »
    wobchunk wrote: »

True! But I definitely wouldn't take the fasting route. I'd pop a couple gas x and take a hot bath. Have a bowl of sliced strawberries with a tablespoon chocolate syrup and some reddi whip. A large bowl is under 250 calories!

Ummm that sounds delish.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lol my whole day would look like Hershey's dark chocolate kisses and Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares (I actually prefer dark chocolate over regular so I could quite literally eat bags of kisses if I didn't keep myself under control)!! I get really bad cramps so I actually ended up talking to my doctor and getting one of those extended cycle birth control pills. So this only happens once every 3 months now (hallelujah), but the loads of chocolate I could and would consume before was astronomical :s:D
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Unless you are overeating for the whole week, any gains are usually water. At TOTM I can fluctuate up by as much as 5lb, but it's not true gain and "whooshes" straight off the scale after a couple of days.
  • wobchunk
    Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies xxx
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I get the munchies before my period, so I munch within my calories. I usually spend my days hungry because if I'm going to be a bottomless hungry pit regardless of calories, I might as well be a bottomless hungry pit on appropriate calories. Of course it doesn't always work and sometimes I try to keep to maintenance, still hungry. Once my period starts I get "reverse munchies" and my my calorie intake dips drastically. Same with water weight. I balloon in all directions right before, then shrivel back to my absolute lowest for the week as soon as it starts.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Drinking tons of tea!! Making myself giant thermos with tea, and drink all day!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Weird enough I crave oatmeal and potatoes instead of chocolate, and both have to have butter or oil for them to even slightly satisfy my cravings. Last month it was even weirder... It's been a long while since I had semolina (farina, or cream of wheat), but couldn't stop eating it last month.. with whole milk and butter of course. I find myself gravitating towards fatty starchy foods, not much towards sugary.