thinking of going vegan

Options
How much weight should you loose a week going vegan. I have thought about veganism but don't know to much about it. I've heard both good and bad.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No more than other strategies for keeping a deficit. And it depends on your calorie deficit.

Veganism is an ethical position, which I respect.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Being vegan doesn't guarantee weight loss. You can get plenty of calories out of nuts etc, so just eating a vegan diet doesn't mean you will lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    Being vegan doesn't guarantee weight loss. You can get plenty of calories out of nuts etc, so just eating a vegan diet doesn't mean you will lose weight.

This.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I was much fatter as a vegan than an omnivore. Weight loss depends on calorie deficit not eating style.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight, but since much of it will be muscle, your percent of Body Fat will most likely increase.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Being vegan is a lifestyle and ethical choice, don't think going vegan will = weight loss only eating at a deficit will.

Making your diet more plant based may help as a tool but I think I would miss my eggs cheese and charcuterie and fish too much.

Maybe try vegetarianism first and add more dishes to your week.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Also could not go vegan, love my all my leather shoes and bags toooo much
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    How much weight should you loose a week going vegan. I have thought about veganism but don't know to much about it. I've heard both good and bad.

If you are considering it for the sole purpose of losing weight, you may want to rethink that. To lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit regardless of being vegan or not. It is not a magical diet plan that makes you automatically lose weight you can still be vegan and be obese.

I sort of assumed you weren't doing it for ethical reasons but rather the false notion that it is healthier based on your post. If that isn't the case. I'm sorry.
  • James12315
    James12315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You'll lose no more than you would if you were eating meat, in fact a good but tough way (and do not recommend) is a high protein, low carb diet. I would suggest to you just eat at an deficit and eat a balanced diet. This is a lifestyle change so you need to find what will work for you and how to maintain it. If you prefer the vegan diet then by all means do it but it won't be any faster than just a general balanced diet of meat, fruits and veg.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »

This.

Yep!

Unless going vegan helps you maintain a greater deficit because of the type of foods you like/dislike, you won't lose anymore weight. There are plenty of higher calorie vegan foods, it certainly doesn't guarantee anything.

IMO the weight loss per week/month as a goal, should be the same as with any dietary lifestyle. Losing too fast is not healthy, it results in more muscle loss, less energy and less likely to stick to it. A slow weight loss with enough food to properly fuel your body (whether vegan/veggie/meat eater) is going to be more sustainable in the long run.

Ultimately, do what's right for you. If you want to try it out, try it out. Do it because it makes you feel good, not because you heard it's a good weight loss aid, or is healthier or whatever.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for considering this :) People have very correctly pointed out that neither vegan nor vegetarian wil equal weight loss. I have been working very hard to move to vegan and it's so worth it. First, there are many studies linking animal protein to inflammation, which in turn leads to many of the common causes of illness and death in our country. For instance, in countries where meat is rarely eaten there are almost no cases of colon cancer. Second, if you have any concern about the environment veganism is something you can do to make an immediate impact. Animal farming, particularly with the methods used today, uses up resources very quickly and contributes much more to greenhouse gasses than you could begin to imagine. Most importantly, it is the most compassionate choice you can make. I admit that I absolutely love steak, hamburgers, bacon, etc. - but I don't believe I have a right to force an animal to live under horrible conditions and then be slaughtered inhumanely just to satisfy a craving. Even if they live under 'the best' of conditions, I would still be killing something just to fill my stomach with calories I don't need. I used to also not understand what the big deal was regarding dairy and eggs. Then I read and learned things I wish I could unlearn. Please google this for more information. Is it difficult to 'go vegan'? Some people say 'no' but I think it does require work, thinking, and a little more planning. There is a group on MFP called Happy Herbivores that would be very helpful if you'd like to learn more. I also recommend the group Vegan Outreach. They even have a program where they'll match you up with a vegan mentor to help you and answer questions. Best of luck to you in making this decision, being healthy, and getting to the weight where you'll be your best!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    While I am not Vegan (for example, I just purchased a vehicle with leather seats), I do prefer to eat a plant-based diet. You definitely can lose weight taking animal products out of your diet as long as you make sure you have a calorie deficit. There are many plant-based diets recommended by various doctors (Pritikin, Fuhrman, McDougall, Esselstyn). My caution would be that some of them (like many others who promote various diets) will state that calories do not matter as long as you adhere to their easy principles, and in my experience that is bad advice. You need to be knowledgeable about the nutritional value of the foods you consume so that you can make wise choices. And plan to take a B12 supplement (it is not needed right away as you have a store of B12 built up and your body is very efficient at using it, but you will not be likely to be taking in sufficient quantities of B12 eating a plant-based diet, and it is unwise and unnecessary to wait until you are experiencing symptoms to start supplementing).

As others have stated, there is nothing magical about eating a plant-based diet that will mean that you can suddenly eat a surplus of calories and lose weight. However, eliminating animal products can be helpful and healthful for some people. Because of the choices I make, I am able to eat a lot of food I enjoy. My husband eats low carb, and it is sometimes comical to see the differences in our meals (he has experienced a rather extreme reduction in appetite, so he doesn't mind). The only animal products I really miss are seafood (which I will indulge in when dining out - perhaps 4-5 times per year), cheese (nooch and plant-based cheeses have been satisfying alternatives, though), and yogurt (I haven't found a plant-based alternative that has the right tang, but sadly, dairy does seem to worsen my allergies, as my symptoms have decreased suddenly and dramatically without it).

One comical side effect of my plant-based diet has manifested in our dogs. Meat used to be cooked daily in our house, and the dogs only reacted by begging for food. Now, my husband usually grills his meat, so meat is only cooked inside if he is making a crock-pot stew or something. Maybe once a month or so. Our alpha dog (a 10 year old JRT) now becomes distressed when meat is being cooked inside, and of course the rest of his "pack" gets agitated so there is lots of pacing, circling, whining, barking, shivering, and hiding as a result. We've no idea what is going on in his head, but it sure seems like he is worried that he might be the next one getting cooked, as he sticks to me like glue.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's true, a vegan lifestyle won't necessarily help you lose weight or keep you slimmer. There are plenty of overweight vegans and even people who got fat once they went vegan. But, if you're really interested in becoming one, go for it! I was a pescetarian for 8 years until I made the switch to vegan, and I can tell you I've been nothing but happy with my decision.

The really good thing about eating vegan, or plant based, is that you can eat quite big, satisfying portions of food. Whole plant foods are often quite low in calories so you do need to eat a substantial amount in order to get the most nutrients out of them. (There's also vegan "junk food" and high fat vegan foods out there, with those you have to moderate just as with any other high calorie density foods...) As in, if I eat a 200g (dry weight) portion of white rice, I will get my 16g protein out of it...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

what??

Going vegan should be an ETHICAL decision and goes far beyond not eating meat/meat products. Going vegan also means avoiding any products, companies, or otherwise which exploit and use animals. Going vegan is something that takes SERIOUS consideration and careful planning. It's a completely different lifelong change.

If you are just wanting to eat plant-based, that's fine. But just like "going vegan" or even vegetarian, you must carefully plan your diet to account for all of the vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fats one needs in their diet. A vegan diet is not a nutritionally complete diet without the use of some supplements and careful nutritional planning so you must keep this in mind and plan accordingly.

Lastly, it's important to note that one loses weight by eating less calories then they are burning. In other words, eating vegan or plant based, is NOT a garauntee to lose weight. There are plenty of fat vegans. It all comes down to the total number of calories you are eating. You aren't going to magically lose weight just because you're eating fruits and vegetables. It doesn't work that way.

So you want to cut out meat and animal products for ethical reasons? Go for it. But don't expect to lose weight from it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Vegan won't cause weight loss, and isn't good for it. Cutting out any foods is not required for weight loss. Eat the same foods as before, just less of it. Weigh all your solid and semi solid foods on a food scale and measure liquids with a measuring cup. Log everything that you eat/drink.

Only go vegan for ethical reasons, not for weight loss reasons. And, if you do go vegan for ethical reasons, do LOTS of research to make sure you're hitting your macros. It's hard work with lots of planning.
  • catfish0710
    catfish0710 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see so many sensible responses about veganism and weight loss. I can only add that I have been vegan just over 5 years, for ethical reasons, and have gone through periods of obesity, overweight and ideal weight in that time. People think all vegans can eat is carrots and leaves which is silly, you can still enjoy pretty much any 'normal' dish these days with a few modifications, which doesn't necessarily make them healthier or less calorific, and there is a plethora of vegan junk food available at most supermarkets. By all means try a plant based eating plan, you may experience some health benefits depending on your body and what you eat, but don't rely on that for weight loss... Calories in versus calories out, that really is it I'm afraid!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    It can be good because if you do homemade vegan cooking it can lead to a greater deficit. I did it a little while ago for a month and lost 10kg. I love the taste of meat but I was suprised by how tasty some vegan recipes can be.

Your best bet is just trailing it and see if cutting meat out helps. As long as you use CICO method I guess it will be good. Don't go below 1000 though 1200 will be easy eating vegan.

No...deceits have nothing to do with Vegan or home cooking.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the insights. It's not to loose weight I've already been doing that a year now I just don't want to loose to fast. It has been somthing I've been cosidering. I was just trying to get some insight. I don't eat much meat. Thank you for all you'r comments.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's true, a vegan lifestyle won't necessarily help you lose weight or keep you slimmer. There are plenty of overweight vegans and even people who got fat once they went vegan. But, if you're really interested in becoming one, go for it! I was a pescetarian for 8 years until I made the switch to vegan, and I can tell you I've been nothing but happy with my decision.

The really good thing about eating vegan, or plant based, is that you can eat quite big, satisfying portions of food. Whole plant foods are often quite low in calories so you do need to eat a substantial amount in order to get the most nutrients out of them. (There's also vegan "junk food" and high fat vegan foods out there, with those you have to moderate just as with any other high calorie density foods...) As in, if I eat a 200g (dry weight) portion of white rice, I will get my 16g protein out of it...

• mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tawnya. I am doing the slowly decreasing meat out of my diet too! Good luck!!!