Do you eat before and after a workout?? Plz need help

Options
babybellyfat
babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
Hi guys I try to wake up around 7-8am sometimes early like to today 6am to workout and eat breakfast as soon I wake up I'm hungry.. Du to my thyroid! I try to skip it to workout first then wait 2-3 hours to eats. My body starves!! Do you guys eat before a workout and after? What do you eat? I'm thinking to have a shake with vega protein before and after then wait 2-3 hour then eat breakfast. I'm vegetarian but I do eat eggs, dairy but no meat or fish. What time do you workout in the morning? What time is your first meal breakfast, lunch?? What do you eat? Need help on making a plan.. Plz help and thanks!!

Replies

• babybellyfat
    Options
    Any tips advice would be appreciated
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    It's 6am in 5 mins still in bed but a bit tired but thinking of getting out of bed soon! Or around 7am
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Timing does not matter much and is only a concern for very very specific situations. Do what works for you.
    Having Vega protein before and after makes sense.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Feed that Thyroid! 1 ea Iodoral tablet daily. :)
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    Ok thx what meals do u all like to eat
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you're taking thyroid medicine, #1, you should not be eating before taking it, and you need to wait 30-60 minutes AFTER taking it to eat.

So, I would wake up, take it, work out, then eat (and this is what I do because I have Hashimoto's).
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think what others do is irrelevant because you have to manage your thyroid meds, but that being said...

I wake up early (like 5:00AM), workout in a fasted state (I only go for 30+ mins, not including my warm-up and cool down), then eat almost right after I'm done, usually within 20 minutes.

Sometimes if I wake up famished I'll have a half of a banana to put in my stomach and keep me from bonking.

There's no right or wrong way, just do what works for you, your body, and your schedule. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i eat something before a workout. usually a cup of coffee and a banana. if it's going to be a long cardio workout i might have a piece of toast and a slice of peanut butter as well. if it's going to be a REALLY long cardio workout, i'll have a big bowl of oatmeal with some fixin's, but if i eat that i also give my stomach some time to settle.

you have to experiment with your body to see what works.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the evening after my dinner and then I will eat something light like a banana when I'm finished because I usually feel hungry after
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you on meds for your thyroid? Do you have hyperthyroidism? I have Graves Disease but no longer have a thyroid. My body relies solely on synthetic hormone. I take my med when I wake up and then wait an hour. Then I have a piece of toast and workout. I find that if I don't have a little something before working out, I get dizzy.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I try to wake up around 7-8am sometimes early like to today 6am to workout and eat breakfast as soon I wake up I'm hungry.. Du to my thyroid! I try to skip it to workout first then wait 2-3 hours to eats. My body starves!! Do you guys eat before a workout and after? What do you eat? I'm thinking to have a shake with vega protein before and after then wait 2-3 hour then eat breakfast. I'm vegetarian but I do eat eggs, dairy but no meat or fish. What time do you workout in the morning? What time is your first meal breakfast, lunch?? What do you eat? Need help on making a plan.. Plz help and thanks!!

I eat before I work out. I get water with two eggs on the stove, get the water boiling, turn the stove off immediately and let the eggs "cook" for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes, my doggies have eaten, gone out to do their business, and I toss the gym bag into the car. Eat, and off I go. After my workout, I get home, get oatmeal (the real stuff that you have to cook forever), non-fat milk into a pot, get it going on the stove on simmer, and that's when I jump in the shower and do all that stuff. By the time I come down, the oatmeal is just about where I want it to be, so I slice one banana into it (cuz I like the sweetness but won't use sugar or syrup) and that's when I have "breakfast". Different days may be different meals but it's always the same routine: quick food, gym, more food.
  • barkercraig617
    barkercraig617 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good morning please accept my post with honesty and humility, for me not eating and losing weight due to stress anxiety and PTSD, became easy. So I study to learn how to live again through exercise and nutrition when I didn't eat at night as everyone our body goes into a fast when it's in the state it eats away at our muscles everything we've worked towards my belly fat yet remain the same. at time would decrease but my legs and my arms and my buttocks area where the first of all the deplete away. As I learn to eat again, I found that the many small meals during the day still allows me to lose the weight that I focus on when I go to the gym I want to have my metabolism already started so that eats away at the fat instead of the muscle that I have sought. eat in the morning starts metabolism gives you feel for a good workout these are key points get your metabolism started to start eating away at the belly fat instead of the muscles. Your body is the engine and the food is the energy that's going to drive it to work I've also learned that this food eaten correctly goes into muscle tissues that is made a drastic changes in my life. Yes I have suffered with anorexia any other questions please don't hesitate to ask strength thanks for listening
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    If you're taking thyroid medicine, #1, you should not be eating before taking it, and you need to wait 30-60 minutes AFTER taking it to eat.

So, I would wake up, take it, work out, then eat (and this is what I do because I have Hashimoto's).

Thanks for the tip!! What time do u wake up and do all this?
  • babybellyfat
    Options

Thanks so much
    I think what others do is irrelevant because you have to manage your thyroid meds, but that being said...

I wake up early (like 5:00AM), workout in a fasted state (I only go for 30+ mins, not including my warm-up and cool down), then eat almost right after I'm done, usually within 20 minutes.

Sometimes if I wake up famished I'll have a half of a banana to put in my stomach and keep me from bonking.

There's no right or wrong way, just do what works for you, your body, and your schedule. Good luck!

• babybellyfat
    Options

Will do!! Thx for the tips and advice
    i eat something before a workout. usually a cup of coffee and a banana. if it's going to be a long cardio workout i might have a piece of toast and a slice of peanut butter as well. if it's going to be a REALLY long cardio workout, i'll have a big bowl of oatmeal with some fixin's, but if i eat that i also give my stomach some time to settle.

• babybellyfat
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! What kind of food to you eat in the mornings?
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    I usually work out in the evening after my dinner and then I will eat something light like a banana when I'm finished because I usually feel hungry after
    OMG me to every time I workout and after I'm starving!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! What kind of food to you eat in the mornings?

one egg and four egg whites scrambled with veggies...a serving of oats with a Tbsp or two of peanut butter, coffee, and a low sodium V-8...sometimes a grapefruit too.

• babybellyfat
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you on meds for your thyroid? Do you have hyperthyroidism? I have Graves Disease but no longer have a thyroid. My body relies solely on synthetic hormone. I take my med when I wake up and then wait an hour. Then I have a piece of toast and workout. I find that if I don't have a little something before working out, I get dizzy.

Yes i am and do!! But I also have osteoporosis so I can't take my calcium together
  • babybellyfat
    Options

I eat before I work out. I get water with two eggs on the stove, get the water boiling, turn the stove off immediately and let the eggs "cook" for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes, my doggies have eaten, gone out to do their business, and I toss the gym bag into the car. Eat, and off I go. After my workout, I get home, get oatmeal (the real stuff that you have to cook forever), non-fat milk into a pot, get it going on the stove on simmer, and that's when I jump in the shower and do all that stuff. By the time I come down, the oatmeal is just about where I want it to be, so I slice one banana into it (cuz I like the sweetness but won't use sugar or syrup) and that's when I have "breakfast". Different days may be different meals but it's always the same routine: quick food, gym, more food.

Awesome thx so much!! I take my doggies mostly 5-6 am