Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

A quick refresher on a calorie is a calorie ....

Options

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Numerio wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Try eating 70 grams of sugar a day, and keep under calorie for a month, and we'll see how your weight and health are after!
    I'm assuming you mean added sugar and not including natural sugars?

Of course! Natural sugars from fruit, etc, though it still counts towards your daily total, are much better than added sugars!

Y?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the biggest enemy to weight loss! Even more than trans-fats, saturated fats, or even a calorie surplus! So: conquer sugar, and you'll very soon conquer every other diet or nutrition problem!

Biggest temptation you mean? Not for me.

Indian food is my biggest enemy to weight loss.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Try eating 70 grams of sugar a day, and keep under calorie for a month, and we'll see how your weight and health are after!

there is no difference between the two ...

And I guess the Atwater factors are all just as accurate as the other as well?

A calorie is a calorie in the most simplistic of explanations. In reality, variances in the methods used to calculate calories, overall dietary composition and intake, and a great number of other factors influence how many of those (estimated) calories are actually absorbed and made available for energy use.

But then again, the body doesn't even use all sugars in the same way either.

Sounds more to me like a quick refresher in the most simplistic of thinking.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've heard don't drink your calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've heard don't drink your calories.

That's just about personal satiety. For me that's true, but not everyone.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

A calorie is a calorie in the most simplistic of explanations. In reality, variances in the methods used to calculate calories, overall dietary composition and intake, and a great number of other factors influence how many of those (estimated) calories are actually absorbed and made available for energy use.

Let me repost the video from I think my first post in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

And make the statement bold for you too just in case it doesn't get through.

No differences due to atwater, TEF, macro ratios or anything else you can think of will EVER come even CLOSE to our own inability to measure intake properly without counting.

NONE OF THIS MATTERS AS MUCH AS YOUR CALORIE INTAKE.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Done:
    jh8xk2l4gzen.jpg
    Doing pretty good.

I don't track sugar but MFP does it anyway

Can I play? My weight and health are exceptional @numerio

3nc4d6uuhj5s.png
  • Numerio
    Numerio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Done:
    jh8xk2l4gzen.jpg
    Doing pretty good.

3nc4d6uuhj5s.png

You must be superhuman then! Normally, sugar doesn't have that effect!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the biggest enemy to weight loss!
    No. Energy surplus is...
    Even more than trans-fats, saturated fats, or even a calorie surplus!
    NO!
    So: conquer sugar, and you'll very soon conquer every other diet or nutrition problem!
    Sorry, no. Educate yourself and stop spreading these myths...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    7ag0fau74q1l.png

My sugar numbers. Perfectly healthy. Definitely not superhuman...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If reducing sugar helps you maintain a deficit, that is great...however it is not necessary for optimal health, at all. Unless recommended by your doctor for a specific condition.

^^^This...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Done:
    jh8xk2l4gzen.jpg
    Doing pretty good.

3nc4d6uuhj5s.png

She isn't superhuman. Neither is the other poster who posted his sugar stats. Quite normal actually. Mine was same. I can easily and without problem eat at or above 70 grams of sugar a day, lose weight and be healthy.

If reducing sugar helps you maintain a deficit, that is great...however it is not necessary for optimal health, at all. Unless recommended by your doctor for a specific condition.

Also, this thread isn't about sugar. It is about a calorie is a calorie. Which is very much fact.

Hush now
    I yam too

:bigsmile:

That'll be supah-rabbit to you from now on
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Done:
    jh8xk2l4gzen.jpg
    Doing pretty good.

3nc4d6uuhj5s.png

She isn't superhuman. Neither is the other poster who posted his sugar stats. Quite normal actually. Mine was same. I can easily and without problem eat at or above 70 grams of sugar a day, lose weight and be healthy.

Also, this thread isn't about sugar. It is about a calorie is a calorie. Which is very much fact.

Hush now
    I yam too

:bigsmile:

That'll be supah-rabbit to you from now on

She said superhuman. Rabbits, supah or otherwise, are not human. But I digress. Carry on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat just all of my calories as Oreos Nutella maybe some potato chips. The trouble is I feel sick. If I eat a teensy bit here (only if it fits into calories I need to hit) then I feel well.

I totally understand how the nutritional profile is so different but energy is same.

And no one is saying you should get 100% of your calories fromotros and Nutella because you would be lacking in nutrition and macros..,
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I would love to eat just all of my calories as Oreos Nutella maybe some potato chips. The trouble is I feel sick. If I eat a teensy bit here (only if it fits into calories I need to hit) then I feel well.

I totally understand how the nutritional profile is so different but energy is same.

And no one is saying you should get 100% of your calories fromotros and Nutella because you would be lacking in nutrition and macros..,

I can not wrap my head around why we always go back to that...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I can not wrap my head around why we always go back to that...

Me neither. I don't know why you can have some of anything if you make it fit turns into just eating "junk" 24/7.

It's like playing whack-a-mole! Lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

the simplest explanation is usually the correct one, and I will refer you to @stevencloser post.

Just because you type a wall of text in a passive aggressive manor does not make your post any more legitimate than anyone else's.

This discussion has been closed.