how to stop binge eating ???

Options
13»

Replies

• samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I agree with what many said....you need to 1) eat healthy foods like veggies --- those arent bad to "binge" on. Also cutting out refined sugary snacks from your diet will eventually curb your cravings and you won't "want" them anymore really. My last suggestion is you should plan your meals out ahead of time, and plan several small meals so you don't actually get really hungry to where you want to binge. Just keep your body satisfied at all times. Because I know once you reach that state of hunger you eat EVERYTHING and it doesn't matter what it is as long as its easy --- which usually are the bad foods lol. Good luck!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    I just ate an entire pint of Froyo Half Baked (Ben and Jerrys) which is 800 calories. Hell yeah.

It's pretty simple really. Save yourself some calories for later in the day after a good hard exercise session (especially outdoors) and then chow down on your favorite ice cream or comfort food. Eat the whole tub of whatever you want and you'll still have calories left over as long as you adjust earlier in the day to leave some room.

Last summer I mountain biked every day in the sun. Every single day after mountain biking I would eat an entire pint of ice cream. I went through every Ben and Jerry's flavor. Cinnamon Bun is by far the best in case you're wondering. If you put the effort in, you can eat foods that you REALLY enjoy. Just plan around it if you think you're going to have one of those days.
    aaah don't listen to this ranger! if certain foods trigger you it might be best to avoid them, you can re-train your taste buds as far as satisfying a sweet craving goes. if you lower your sugar intake, you won't crave it as much. if you go overboard with food a lot there might be more to it than just an eating thing... like a psychological/emotional reason behind it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This used to be a real problem for me. You know what made me stop?

1. Logging EVERY morsel that goes in my mouth.
    2. Making my diary public.

My binge eating came from me loving to do things in secret. Putting it all out there for all of MFP to see has helped me to stop it almost entirely. Now when I do it, I own it.

Look in to your motivations for why you binge. The food doesn't make you do it (trigger food) - it's an emotional act.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I just ate an entire pint of Froyo Half Baked (Ben and Jerrys) which is 800 calories. Hell yeah.

It's pretty simple really. Save yourself some calories for later in the day after a good hard exercise session (especially outdoors) and then chow down on your favorite ice cream or comfort food. Eat the whole tub of whatever you want and you'll still have calories left over as long as you adjust earlier in the day to leave some room.

Last summer I mountain biked every day in the sun. Every single day after mountain biking I would eat an entire pint of ice cream. I went through every Ben and Jerry's flavor. Cinnamon Bun is by far the best in case you're wondering. If you put the effort in, you can eat foods that you REALLY enjoy. Just plan around it if you think you're going to have one of those days.
    aaah don't listen to this ranger! if certain foods trigger you it might be best to avoid them, you can re-train your taste buds as far as satisfying a sweet craving goes. if you lower your sugar intake, you won't crave it as much. if you go overboard with food a lot there might be more to it than just an eating thing... like a psychological/emotional reason behind it.

Fair enough. I'm just not a fan of restricting foods that are enjoyable, especially for long term happiness/eating habits. I like eating veggies and all the healthy stuff but sometimes after a long day in the sun, Ben and Jerry's becomes a staple food. It must be a California thing. ;-)
  • Leanne_A7X
    Options
    This has been a problem for me since I was 9. They only way to get a grip on it is to make sure I do not have those sorts of foods in my house. It does not stop a binge, but at least when I do binge, I am eating better foods.

Also, find out what the underlying meaning is. Personally mine is anxiety, depression, PTSD and getting help with those helped the binge eating a great deal.

Usually binge eating is in combination with a mental health situation, others might just tell you to stop overeating. I can tell everyone it is a real problem.

I have found another thing that helps is to take the dogs for a walk when I feel a binge coming on or find something that keeps my hands busy. I am a writer, so I do a lot of that. Pays the bills a lot quicker!
    I, like you, have binge-eating-disorder. It is not a matter of willpower for me any more than not drinking is a matter of willpower for an alcoholic. I am sure there will be those who disagree with me there. But, the fact remain that it is just not as simple as having the willpower to stop for some of us.
    What helps me is trying to apply the 12 steps of AA to my B-E-D. When I start binging and feeling out of control I know that there is something in my life that I need to pay attention to. My binges usually coincide with times I am feeling lonely or afraid.
    One thing that helps me a lot, also, is exercise. I know there are countless articles about the effects of regular exercise on mental health issues like depression. It is certainly true in my case. Endorphins, maybe. But it is much easier for me to control the B-E-D when I am regularly exercising.
    Jumping on this boat with both of you guys. This is why I had to point out that it is not a self-control thing for many people.

Agreed. Will power/self control is only one of many factors when it comes to BED. When you're not eating food/binging, you're thinking about it all the time. You find it extremely difficult to concentrate on anything else. It's not just a craving, sometimes I eat/binge just to get my mind off of eating ( if that makes any sense ). This disorder just slowly kills you and takes away the fun part of life. Not only does it kill your self esteem, it makes you hate yourself for something that you don't exactly have control over. As previously said, it's like a drug addict withdrawing from a drug. It's not just self control, it's an addiction that gets to you. For those who have BED and are suffering from it just like me, I understand completely. On binge days like today, I just wish that I could go to sleep and magically wake up without the feeling of guilt, the extra layer of body fat taunting you, or the depression that takes over you after a binge. Sadly, the world doesn't work that way :(
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    didn't read all the posts...too much to read before bed :-) BUT i will say that avoiding buying trigger foods for home is a good first step. i stopped buying juice and soda bc i'll drink those before drinking water. if i ONLY have water in the house then i'll ONLY drink water.

another tool is to allow yourself to go OUT to buy a special food, but get the child size (i.e. kid's frosty) and if the place is within walking distance walk there and ONLY carry enough money to get the smallest item (like no more than $5).

finally, my cousin has a weakness for sweets (especially cupcakes). let's say she buys a dozen cupcakes in a moment of weakness and brings them home. she'll give herself permission to eat a few and then WINDEX the rest before throwing them away. it sounds silly/gross, but it makes it impossible to say "oh, they're still in the box, they're not REALLY in the trash"

baring any diagnosable impulse control problems it'll get easier. make small goals and remember to PRAISE YOURSELF when you exercise control over the binge!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When you're not eating food/binging, you're thinking about it all the time. You find it extremely difficult to concentrate on anything else. This disorder just slowly kills you and takes away the fun part of life. Not only does it kill your self esteem, it makes you hate yourself for something that you don't exactly have control over.
    This.
    I would also like to point out that it often doesn't matter whether there is only healthy food in the house or a bunch of junk. I have stopped buying junk food. That doesn't stop me from binging on whatever I can find in the pantry. Binges aren't only chips and cookies. I had a huge binge a few weeks ago on Go Raw Trail Mix (not the kind with chocolate, just raw nuts and cranberries) because it was there.
    Of course, not everyone who binges suffers from BED. There is every possibility that the OP here is not suffering from the disorder and will be able to adjust habits.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The answers on this thread are a great help and comfort to me. I've only just realized what a problem my compulsive overeating had become, and how my whole life is designed around food. Leanne says it well- I just want to stop thinking about food all the time, I just want to wake up one day and not care what I'll have to eat that day. Arwen, I had a trail mix binge last week too!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm it the same boat....have been forever!!! I totally understand
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    This has been a problem for me since I was 9. They only way to get a grip on it is to make sure I do not have those sorts of foods in my house. It does not stop a binge, but at least when I do binge, I am eating better foods.

Also, find out what the underlying meaning is. Personally mine is anxiety, depression, PTSD and getting help with those helped the binge eating a great deal.

Usually binge eating is in combination with a mental health situation, others might just tell you to stop overeating. I can tell everyone it is a real problem.

I have found another thing that helps is to take the dogs for a walk when I feel a binge coming on or find something that keeps my hands busy. I am a writer, so I do a lot of that. Pays the bills a lot quicker!
    I, like you, have binge-eating-disorder. It is not a matter of willpower for me any more than not drinking is a matter of willpower for an alcoholic. I am sure there will be those who disagree with me there. But, the fact remain that it is just not as simple as having the willpower to stop for some of us.
    What helps me is trying to apply the 12 steps of AA to my B-E-D. When I start binging and feeling out of control I know that there is something in my life that I need to pay attention to. My binges usually coincide with times I am feeling lonely or afraid.
    One thing that helps me a lot, also, is exercise. I know there are countless articles about the effects of regular exercise on mental health issues like depression. It is certainly true in my case. Endorphins, maybe. But it is much easier for me to control the B-E-D when I am regularly exercising.
    Jumping on this boat with both of you guys. This is why I had to point out that it is not a self-control thing for many people.

Add me to this bandwagon. For me binging has nothing to do with actually eating and everything to do with emotions. Mine specifically are anxiety and loneliness. I can pretty easily put some congnitive therapy tools to work when I'm fully rested, etc. Exercise is HUGE for me also. When I'm in a good exercise routine, I don't feel the need to binge near as much. But, get me tired, having a bad day, been too busy to workout for a day or two and feeling sorry for myself and it's a recipe for disaster. It happens much less for me now - but it still happens. In fact, it just happened last night. I binged less than normal, but I binged. Luckily for me my binges are just a few hour occurence usually, but I easily eat 2,000 calories during those two hours.

For some people (like the four of us), it certainly isn't as easy as "get some self control," you have to recognize it is not about food and deal with the underlaying issue. If this is your issue, I think you know it in your gut - there is a big difference between eating because you want a few cookies and binging because of emotional issues.
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are identifying with the symptoms of Compulsive or Binge Eating Disorder, we have a support thread, you are all welcome to join us!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/216083-support-for-binge-eating-disorder
  • purplebutterfly28
    Options
    Your're not alone, i have that problem. Try and do something to distract you? Like have a bath or brush your teeth, go for a run? I know its hard, my self control goes out the window sometimes. I think its ok to have the off bad days as long as you get back on track and appreciate the good days x