Do you really need the added protein?

Options
hey everyone! i apologize if this was asked before (which i am sure that it was) but I figured you would be able to help out.

I started my journey on MFP months ago and have since lost around 45 lbs, with 19 to go until the goal (maintenance). Up until this point i have been incorporating exercises such as walking, running, and even taking cardio type classes but i haven't started lifting yet in any way which i know is not only great for fat burn but also for keeping muscle while losing massive amounts of weight. My husband said i need to start lifting, but if i do i also need to start drinking protein shakes. I am concerned about that because i still have 19 lbs to lose, and protein shakes usually have a decent amount of calories (i don't want to have a shake as a meal, I'm a chew type of person lol) i still need to eat under my calories to lose those 19 lbs so I'm wondering if i should a) wait until i reach my maintenance to begin lifting and b) do i really need a protein supplement or shake when i'm lifting light weights with high reps?

He went on to explain, and he hasnt been the only one that after working out i need to drink protein...but i feel like thats for heavy lifters? Like don't you need to be "going hard at the gym" to require all that extra protein? I usually would only stay an hour max. Any advice would be great as I've been doing well sticking to MFP goals, but they unfortunately don't really help you learn how to gain muscle while your still losing weight..i know the number on the scale is only a number but it was my original goal weight and id like to see it!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you consuming on an average day now?

Protein shakes generally are "necessary" (and I put that in quotes, as obviously they're not the only option) if one isn't consuming an adequate amount of protein in his/her regular daily diet to meet his/her goals.
  • kristirobinson1
    kristirobinson1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i try to incorporate protein in every meal but some days i really fail at this. I eat within my calorie goal but that doesn't always mean I'm eating balanced or watching my macros. I haven't really started or paid attention to that yet because I've been losing consistently. BUT, there are days when i eat junk..just junk thats within my calorie goal. 20g i think is what my doctor recommended, but if i hit the 20 g of protein mark (and i think that was per day not per meal?) do i still need to add in a shake after lifting? I do know that at 1200 cals a day i technically should eat back some of my exercise calories so maybe i could use those "extras" for the protein shake if it'll really be beneficial. He made it seem like all of my hard work at the gym would be "useless" without the shake lol
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    20g per day is a woefully low protein goal.

The typical recommendation is to take your weight (in lbs) x 0.6-0.8 to get a range (in grams) of a good daily protein goal for those trying to lose weight and maintain muscle mass.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Let me add that a crappy diet isn't going to be much better just because you add a protein shake or two. In fact, from the sound of it this would put you over your calories goal. Dial in your diet and focus on getting protein from your regular meals.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein shakes to lift.
  • kristirobinson1
    Options
    Okay thank you!
  • kristirobinson1
    Options
    Yeah I did that math and I'm eating severely under in protein. It says something more like 87 grams per day
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weights should always be the priority, and done first. Hiit cardio is the only cardio to do, and should only be done twice a week, 20 mins max ea. Research Sprint 8 program.
  • barkercraig617
    barkercraig617 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    drink lots of milk is an easy add, and a can of tuna too is high protein. yes add as much as you can and your muscles will grow and fat will melt away.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i try to incorporate protein in every meal but some days i really fail at this. I eat within my calorie goal but that doesn't always mean I'm eating balanced or watching my macros. I haven't really started or paid attention to that yet because I've been losing consistently. BUT, there are days when i eat junk..just junk thats within my calorie goal. 20g i think is what my doctor recommended, but if i hit the 20 g of protein mark (and i think that was per day not per meal?) do i still need to add in a shake after lifting? I do know that at 1200 cals a day i technically should eat back some of my exercise calories so maybe i could use those "extras" for the protein shake if it'll really be beneficial. He made it seem like all of my hard work at the gym would be "useless" without the shake lol

Is there a reason your doctor recommended you only eat 20g protein per day? Or did he mean per meal?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do you have kidney disease or another illness which necessitates low protein intake?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a petite older gal who does some strength training, yoga, and cardio, and I try to get in the 80ish range (but don't always make it). Yesterday, I did pretty well and ate over 100g. I have my base calories set to 1000 and my fitbit sync adds in activity calories which I eat back, so I'm eating around 1500 a day. By the way, if you begin exercising, eat back some of the calories MFP gives you, as that will support your activity and develop some muscle. You might find that you have the extra calories to fit in more protein. My recommendation on a low calorie limit is to get the protein from food, not a shake, otherwise, you'll have to be giving up food and maybe going hungry just to fit the shake into your daily intake.

I eat eggs, yogurt, lean chicken and fish, and an occasional steak. If you're a vegetarian, you can also eat beans, or add chick peas to a salad. You can check out my diary, which is open, about some of my food choices. Skip looking at Thursday, as I went out to dinner (however, still got 60 grams in before dinner!) and didn't track, but most days, I'm at least eating over 50g. In fact, it would be hard for me to eat less than 20g.

It might be helpful to open your diary so folks can offer some suggestions.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What do you call high calorie for protein? I drink optimum nutrition whey isolate in some almond milk and it's just 150 calories (120 for the whey isolate, 30 for the almond milk ... It can be made with just water). I typically grab that and a boiled egg or a yogurt cup as I'm heading out the door to go to class. I actually think a lot of whey isolates are around that 100-130 calories mark??? So that's a suggestion if it fits your calories goals

Now, as for do you "need" it? I can't answer that. Totally out of my realm there haha. I'm in the same boat as you though. I just learned on here that my 60 grams of protein is not actually enough for my fitness goals, as I'm looking to start lifting in order to burn fat and build some muscle as well, and that I should be consuming something like 100 grams at least
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Added protein is not necessary. Women only need about 50-60g of protein a day, and that can easily be attained. Veggies, like broccoli actually have more protein than meat so if you are worried about protein than pack in the veggies. Please stay away from dairy as it also comes with a lot of fat, so do most meats. I myself am a vegan and have already lost ten pounds in two months. So yeah, don't worry about protein.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    Added protein is not necessary. Women only need about 50-60g of protein a day, and that can easily be attained. Veggies, like broccoli actually have more protein than meat so if you are worried about protein than pack in the veggies. Please stay away from dairy as it also comes with a lot of fat, so do most meats. I myself am a vegan and have already lost ten pounds in two months. So yeah, don't worry about protein.

Any evidence for broccoli having more protein for meat? Also, would be curious why there is any concern whatsoever regarding the fat content of dairy.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is a very blanket statement. Usually, the best way to figure out your unique protein goal is to multiply your body weight by .6-.8. I usually get around 100g per day; sometimes more, sometimes less.

Also, why stay away from dairy? Can you provide sources for this statement, please? And I also want to know why fat is bad.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

A cup of broccoli has 3 grams of protein, while 4 ounces of chicken has 29 grams. You'd have to eat 9 and a half cups of broccoli to get to 29 grams of protein.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

A cup of broccoli has 3 grams of protein, while 4 ounces of chicken has 29 grams. You'd have to eat 9 and a half cups of broccoli to get to 29 grams of protein.
    Hmm...possible eating challenge?
    LOL
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ^^What he said.