Canned tuna

Options
guinevere96
guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
I just bought canned tuna for the first time, never really eaten the stuff before and im looking for some good ways to incorporate it into my food :) boyfriend says to eat it with mayo but id rather not. How do you guys eat it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Listen to your boyfriend, he's right :)
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm weird as hell I usually grill it on the grill
    Put some mustard on it 2 portobello mushroom caps and I eat it
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Canned tuna?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    mayo makes it palatable
  • Michaelg235
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Canned tuna?

Yep Canned tuna am I the only one in the world that does it ?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Canned tuna?

Yes
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I love canned Tuna. I like John West no drain in spring water best. It is low calorie, high protein with omega oils what's not to like? I mix it with Mayo or Sweet Chili Sauce or diced onion or sweetcorn or....well you get the drift it makes a great addition to a salad or you can mix it in with pasta. You can use it to make fish cakes or in wraps. I find it really versatile and a very useful item in my store cupboard.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Tuna melt....place on bread of your choice, top with cheese of your choice and broil it until cheese is melty...nomnomnom.
  • guinevere96
    Options
    mayo makes it palatable

Any alternatives to mayo then? Ive never been a big fan of the stuff.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've used mashed avocado and light ranch dressing to make tuna salad. Both were pretty good.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like Skinnytaste tuna ceviche. Really good! skinnytaste.com/2014/04/canned-tuna-ceviche.html

Also it is great Italian style with tomatoes, olive oil, etc. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuna-salad-puttanesca-style.html
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I eat it straight out of the can by itself. Sometimes I mix in mustard and relish. I don't like mayo, but I know many people who eat it that way.
  • guinevere96
    Options
    I've used mashed avocado and light ranch dressing to make tuna salad. Both were pretty good.

That actually sounds awesome, I heard avocado is a good sub for mayo but I wasn't sure if it would really work in this instance lol. Yum.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i use a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano mix it up and eat it with a pita, over lettuce, or whatever i want.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Blend tuna, black pepper and avocado for a delicious pate. Same works with Philadelphia or any soft cheese/
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mayo makes it palatable

Any alternatives to mayo then? Ive never been a big fan of the stuff.

Yes - I'm not nuts about mayo. I like tuna canned in oil more than in water; so I do major drain of the oil, combine the rest with some type of vinegar or with lemon juice. I also toss in a bunch of veggies, chopped small, with an emphasis on onion, garlic and celery. Sweet peppers, too.

I have also been known to use Russian dressing, or avocado whipped with lemon juice, or a bit of plain yogurt.

For me, also, a slice of bread or smallish potato (sometimes a sweet potato) kind of rounds out a canned tuna dish. For potato, I take the lazy way out - scrub it good. Stick it with a knife in a few places, wrap it in a damp paper towel and let the microwave deal with it for about 4 minutes. Let it cool off a bit, then cut in medallions and serve alongside your tuna. I eat the potato skin, too, though my father never would.
  • Michaelg235
    Options

Canned tuna?

Yes

Looks like you guys have to join its like eating a hamburger it's absolutely incredible
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I personally like it with a little miracle whip
  • JazminesWeigh
    JazminesWeigh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mix it in with a baked potato and just kinda mash it together i add in 2 tablespoons of mayo with olive oil. I like spicy things so i usually add in hot sauce. Since I add it to everything lol.