Best weight for teenage daughter

Options
Hi, my name is Melinda and I have had My Fitness Pal for 2 years and relay like it. I have it synced to my Fitbit, too.
My question is about my 14 year old daughter. She is only 5 feet tall and will not get much taller. She is active in volleyball. The dr is not worried about her weight but my daughter is starting to show signs of concern . She is comparing herself to her very skinny and tall friends on the team. I think she looks healthy. She weighs at 124 pounds. I have found some conflicting sites that say she is fine, but some say she is overweight. What should she weigh?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ask her doctor
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'd say caution is the word of the day here. If she is concerned then push her to focus on her athletic performance rather than focusing on the scale. If her doctor does want her to lose weight (and from the above he/she does not), then maybe clean up the family diet and encourage more activity, but I'd be incredibly hesitant to start throwing out goal numbers to a 14 year old. Aside from her youth, the problem with "magic" numbers is it will be a bit different for each person because muscle mass will make a significant difference.

Maybe more hugs? Seriously.
  • mindy1181
    mindy1181 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree and appreciate you input
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mother put me on my first "diet" when I was ten years old...I wasn't overweight, but my mom has always been extremely thin...All this did for me was to build resentments about my weight, and at the age of 58, I really AM overweight...I am with the post that said concentrate on something OTHER than her weight, like here athletic abilities...This will probably reduce the amount of resentment your daughter will feel from you...Good luck to her, and to you...
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    The doctor said her weight is fine, so I don't understand why you're asking MFP. You might want to use this opportunity to encourage her not to compare herself to others. Self-esteem is so fragile at that age.
  • katieleggett_321
    katieleggett_321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft and bang on 124 pounds :) I know its different for everyone but i consider myself a healthy weight and if she is active it will probably be mostly muscle anyway.