Who do they think they are

Options
I have worked on committing myself to being healthy for the last 6 months. For the first time in 28 years I started working out and eating right. Yes, obviously I count my calories. Yes, obviously I am very conscious of what I put in my body. Not because I'm a nut but because I care. But what sucks is when people make me out to be a nut.

My work likes to have food days as often as possible. This is the second one this month and I decided that this time I wasn't going to participate. I have had to refuse going to lunch with people in the past and now I've had to stop participating in food days. Not because I'm a jerk, I try to make my intentions clear, but because I simply don't want to eat those things. There's nothing wrong with that.

But today, they crossed the line. They asked if I was going to be eating since I hadn't brought anything and I said no. Well everyone just became completely appauled and explained all the ingredients they used in their food was low fat, non fat, low carb, etc, etc. When I declined again one of the girls said, are we going to have to have an intervention about your eating disorder. (insert record skipping here).............................and rant approaching.

Just because I don't want to shove everything in my mouth that's available to me and just because I've been refusing to eat fast food and take out doesn't mean I have an eating disorder. It took me 6 months to lose 16 pounds. 6 months. And it's been really hard for me. But I got here by cleaning up my diet and working my *kitten* off and it hurts my feelings equally as much as it makes me mad that they have the gull to judge me.

end.

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Getting healthier = Eating disorder? Since When???? Your coworkers are delusional.
  • blackchick41bb
    Options
    you just go girl,i just seperate myself from family and friends for a while,because they love to party and will drive me to drinking.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Gah. This sucks so much. My apartment-mates are just like this, it's very frustrating. I totally know where you're coming from.

But you've accomplished something really awesome that they can't touch. Good for you for staying firm in your resolve. (:
  • pspam
    pspam Posts: 9
    Options
    Take the soft side approach. Invite them to join MFP and plan sensible meals that coincide with a healthier lifestyle. Then everyone can participate in food days once they really realize what they were serving for the portions available. Eating disorder, yes, but not you.
  • bfnp
    bfnp Posts: 58
    Options
    It's that whole "one day won't hurt you" or "one little piece of this or that won't hurt you." Yeah well what it my day was yesterday and what if I already ate a piece of cake for breakfast? That's the best way to get me to take a two hour lunch break somewhere else.
  • 2day2morrow4ever
    2day2morrow4ever Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    which would just lead to a risk for greater calorie consumption...glad to see you stand up for yourself. Keep ion track. great job.