Is it harder to loose weight on a Gluten free diet compared to a regular diet?

Options
Hi everyone! I was just curious to know what people's opinions were on gluten free diet compared to a regular diet far as loosing weight. I have an identical twin sister who started WW a month after is started using MFP. She has lost more weight than what I have and, I have 2months in compared to her one. I also excersize along with staying about 200cals less on my daily calorie goal. I have lost 15 so far. I am not complaining about this mind you, but my twin lost more and doesn't even exercise. How is this possible? That is what makes me think GF vs regular diet is the reason but, I have no clue if that is true or not.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No, the only thing that matters for weight loss is your calories in versus your calories out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. Your sister is eating a larger deficit than you.

Some people find a gluten free diet easier to drop weight because it eliminates a lot of the foods some people tend to over eat on, therefore, lowering their calorie intake. But it all comes back to calories in/calories out. You can overeat gluten free foods too.

Gluten free has nothing to do with weight loss alone. You can lose weight, maintain or gain on a GF diet.
  • SassyMama70
    SassyMama70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh..ok. Good to know. When you say my sister is eating a larger deficit than me, I am not sure what this means (sorry I'm new to all this and I am learning as I go). Do you mean her daily calorie goal is set higher or possibly lower than mine? I feel stupid for asking but I want to understand better.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    She is eating less than you. Do don't worry about her. You are doing great, you are learning how to eat for the rest of your life and when you hit your goal weight, you'll be golden. You can do this!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    sssheets wrote: »
    Oh..ok. Good to know. When you say my sister is eating a larger deficit than me, I am not sure what this means (sorry I'm new to all this and I am learning as I go). Do you mean her daily calorie goal is set higher or possibly lower than mine? I feel stupid for asking but I want to understand better.

Your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is affected by your height/weight/age/activity level/exercise etc. Everything. So even though you are twins you may have different TDEEs. For this reason, it doesn't mean you will both lose the same amount of weight if you eat the same number of calories.

In order to lose weight, you need to eat less than your TDEE. For example, 500 calories typically means about 1lb a week weight loss. That would be a deficit.

So she is likely eating a larger deficit than you. So she may be at 750 calorie deficit and you at 500.
  • corinna_corinna
    corinna_corinna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i eat gluten free and have no problem losing weight. i lose about 1 pound a day but i don't eat wheat or processed sugar. if you're talking about eating "gluten free" processed foods and not really losing weight then that is your problem. when i eat "gluten free" packaged pizzas, cookies and donuts from the store i gain weight the next morning instead of losing. the flours they are made with raise your blood sugar because they turn into sugar when consumed and are then stored as fat, just like their gluten alternative. not eating wheat is really the key to losing weight. wheat is an appetite stimulant. if you want to learn more the facebook page "wheat belly" has tons of information and success stories posted. thousands of people have been able to get off insulin, high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds and on and on. it's weight loss without exercise and that is one of the main reasons why i have been able to stick with it for 2 years. well then there's no longer having junk food cravings. like none. ya. i highly recommend living this way. again, wheat belly on facebook. look into it :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    i eat gluten free and have no problem losing weight. i lose about 1 pound a day but i don't eat wheat or processed sugar. if you're talking about eating "gluten free" processed foods and not really losing weight then that is your problem. when i eat "gluten free" packaged pizzas, cookies and donuts from the store i gain weight the next morning instead of losing. the flours they are made with raise your blood sugar because they turn into sugar when consumed and are then stored as fat, just like their gluten alternative. not eating wheat is really the key to losing weight. wheat is an appetite stimulant. if you want to learn more the facebook page "wheat belly" has tons of information and success stories posted. thousands of people have been able to get off insulin, high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds and on and on. it's weight loss without exercise and that is one of the main reasons why i have been able to stick with it for 2 years. well then there's no longer having junk food cravings. like none. ya. i highly recommend living this way. again, wheat belly on facebook. look into it :)

That is not true at all. You would not gain fat that fast to see it on the scale the NEXT day.
    Likely what you are seeing is water weight associated with glycogen stores from eating higher carb intake than normal. Or sodium.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your exercise is good for your health but it plays a small part in weight loss.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

That rate of weight loss is alarming.

Wheat is not an appetite stimulant, and not eating wheat does not automatically lead to weight loss.

Additionally, wheat is not the only source of gluten; at best, the "wheat belly" movement appears to demonize a plant without much consideration towards being accurate in terms of science.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2016
    Options

I missed that. But considering the poster says in her profile she lost 67 lbs in 9 months, I don't think that quite translates to 1 lb a day.

I suspect she is dropping water weight by dropping carbs.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I missed that. But considered OP says in her profile she lost 67 lbs in 9 months, I don't think that quite translates to 1 lb a day.

Not the op but the replier to the op
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I missed that. But considered OP says in her profile she lost 67 lbs in 9 months, I don't think that quite translates to 1 lb a day.

Not the op but the replier to the op

Sorry, I don't even know why I said that. I realized it wasn't the OP. Oops.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Also, if your sister started out at a higher weight than you, that can affect rate of loss if you are eating the same amount.

You're still doing great! :)
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Also, if your sister started out at a higher weight than you, that can affect rate of loss if you are eating the same amount.

You're still doing great! :)

^^i was thinking the same thing. For me, at 135, I'm lucky to lose 1lb a week at 1200 calories. Someone at 250 would lose that much or more no problem at 1200. :)
  • SassyMama70
    Options
    That is also what I was thinking but, I never did ask my sister what her starting weight was..didn't want to be nosy. I do think she was a little bigger than me so this makes more sense now.
  • SassyMama70
    Options
    Thanks also for the words of encouragement
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The only people who should be eating gluten-free are people with Celiac disease (an auto-immune disease in which the immune system attacks the digestive system in the presence of gluten.)

So if you truly have a gluten intolerance, by all means please don't eat gluten. Otherwise, it's a bunch of bull. The only reason people claim that gluten-free helps with weight loss is because they're looking a lot more closely at the foods they are eating, and eating more fruits and vegetables.

GLUTEN IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. (unless you have Celiac disease). Carbohydrates are not bad for you.

If you want the benefit of weight loss from a gluten free diet, start reading the labels of what you're eating, choose nutritious foods carefully, and increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. And for heavens sake eat some gluten.
  • SassyMama70
    Options
    I don't have celiac but a gluten intolerance. I am a carrier for celiac and my daughter has it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. No matter what diet one picks, they need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The only people who should be eating gluten-free are people with Celiac disease (an auto-immune disease in which the immune system attacks the digestive system in the presence of gluten.)

So if you truly have a gluten intolerance, by all means please don't eat gluten. Otherwise, it's a bunch of bull. The only reason people claim that gluten-free helps with weight loss is because they're looking a lot more closely at the foods they are eating, and eating more fruits and vegetables.

GLUTEN IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. (unless you have Celiac disease). Carbohydrates are not bad for you.

If you want the benefit of weight loss from a gluten free diet, start reading the labels of what you're eating, choose nutritious foods carefully, and increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. And for heavens sake eat some gluten.

I know that rejection of wheat has become extreme over the past few years. However, my family does not have celiac. We have some sort of auto immune thing that's genetic but not celiac. If I am exposed to gluten, I have severe gut pain within 15 minutes. Roll on the floor crying gut pain. Same with my other brother.

My dad almost died of ulcerative colitis in 1978. Keeping a diet clean of gluten is what keeps it in check. Exposure brings it back.

But none of us has colitis and we've all been tested.