Depression & Health/Fitness Goals

Options
2»

Replies

• mila0130
    mila0130 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As a bipolar I under and respect your feelings. To boot meds can often times aid in the troubles. I've been on medication for about 20 years and it has played havoc with my body. As far as gaining motivation. .....that's a tough one.
    Being depressed makes a marathon out of getting out of bed let alone exercise. Start very small. Take a walk, then a longer walk. How about then a faster walk. Have a cry along the way and feel how crazy and cathartic it can be. Small. You will do it when you want to and not a second before. It may be a year from now, or you may be right now. I guess what I mean to say is , take the pressure off of yourself. You are a special person who needs a specific way. Peace.
  • TexasaurusRex
    TexasaurusRex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to have seen your post - I was just coming into the boards to post about this same thing!

I've been in and off MFP since 2010. I've been in recovery from drugs/alcohol since 2007, with a couple of relapses. My father passed away in 2013, and during all that I've dealt with crushing depression and anxiety.

When I wasn't thin going into rehab (5'5", 190 lbs), but replacing drugs/alcohol wemotional eating has unfortunately brought on a 100 lb weight gain over the last ten years. I drop, I gain, I exercise, I don't, overeat, undereat. It's a vicious cycle. Counseling has helped in the past; however I have realized that finding others in similar situations helps the most - hence why I was coming to the boards. I do hope you're successful in your weight loss and managing your depression. Cheers.
  • LornaDrach
    LornaDrach Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I suffer with Anxiety and depression as well. I have noticed that even with meds that eating well and exercise has helped me keep myself somewhat even although I still spiral down at times. I emotionally eat and struggle with self care and making myself a priority. My therapist compared me with a bucket that has a hole in the bottom, I was constantly pouring energy out of the hole by not saying NO, by not stopping to think about myself, by worrying about things outside my control - but I was not refilling the bucket at all ie self care. Pretty much by the time I got help, I was almost done.

Friend me on here and I will keep up with you.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bipolar 2 (which is the depression one) and anxiety. A combo of finally getting on the right meds + the keto diet has been very helpful.

Keto is a low carb diet. Originally a diet that was used to control seizures in epileptics. Quite a few mental health drugs and mood stabilizers are also anti seizure meds. One of my meds falls in that category. I have seen a world of difference since I've started it.
  • giannaben
    giannaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yannaove wrote: »
    I recently rejoined fitness pal in an attempt to once again, as an ultimate goal to become healthier and thus feel better about myself. I suffer from major depression and have to take meds daily. I struggle to get myself to do anything good for myself and always take care of others first. I am also an emotional eater and have and still suffer from an eating disorder. No one but a handful of people know this but have come to realize that I must branch out for help and offer help if i can. I said all that to ask if any of you suffer from depression and my other issues as well. And if so how do you manage staying on top of your health and fitness goals. How do you stay motivated and how do you handle pitfalls. Im pretty much all by myself in this getting healthier journey and i need advice. Thanks so much in advance! :)

Staying on top of health and fitness is hard at the best of times without a mental disorder. Im 48 years young and ive struggled and still struggle with weight issues as well as suffering with depression and anxiety for over 20 years. I guess what has been my best motivation was having my Son ... Im a single mum at that. But i am no superwoman realizing you need help and reaching for it is one key to the puzzle. P.s One thing i did was getting an ipod and creating music i love its a great motivator. Good luck
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just walk like a champion and talk like a champion :)

Much love!
  • bringing_sasha_back
    bringing_sasha_back Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I completely understand where you are coming from. I have to take meds twice daily for my depression and anxiety. It takes a lot some days for me to do what's best to be healthy and other days it's exciting. If you want to add me I think we could be good at motivating and supporting each other. If you ever need an ear or anything message me :smiley:
  • TTMJ4VA
    TTMJ4VA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am not depressed but I can relate to the feeling. About 2.5 years ago, my world was crushed when my son (at the time, 2 years old) was diagnosed with Autism and severe language impairment. I felt like the ground was taken from beneath my feet, I felt so angry, and so sad. I couldn't even bring myself to tell my family about it. With my son being evaluated by so many people, and the evaluation results coming back so low and so many sessions of therapies I was going crazy. After about 2 long months I decided to go to the gym and try out some weight lifting. I would exhaust myself to the point that I was too drained to even think about how sad I was-and there were many times when my eyes were tearing up while I was working out, I would throw in a few more reps until again, I was too exhausted to cry. I began to crave the exhaustion of weight lifting every day and stuck with it. Little by little the weight started to come off, I was getting stronger, and I was even feeling a mixture of hopefulness and happiness. When that started to happen I was hooked! I am 5'7, 29% body fat, HW 240lbs, CW 171 lbs, GW 150lbs. What began as an outlet to my depression has now turned into a lifestyle.

I am an emotional eater as well, I tend to turn to food when my son has his moments (poop all over the wall isn't cute-yes even after dealing with that I can still eat! ), so I joined MFP to help me with that:)

Weights are my thing. I hope you find what works for you:)

(I tried to make it as short as possible:/ )

When I read "poop all over the wall isn't cute" I almost fell out my chair laughing I remember the days when my child as poop as finger-paint and sometime body paint on himself nothing funny about trying to was a kid sheets and the wall at 3am but now I can look back and laugh about it

I suffer from depression and other MH issues I try to control my eating but still eat trying my make myself feel better then gain weight and feel worse I am a single parent of a 14 yo with primary diagnoses of autism and secondary of speech delay with impairment some days are harder then other if you want to add me ill try to motivate you or just listen
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use exercise and eating right to manage my anxiety and depression. Being able to make myself feel better is my daily motivation. I take meds, too.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    OP: I suffer from depression as well (I'm on Mirtazapine, which seem to work for me, I tired a lot of anti-depressants which did nothing). I went through all of the usual suspects for relief booze, drugs, cigarettes, ect. Even exercising 3 hours a day for that oh so precious dopamine rush. I never did extra eating, but I can see it as an attempt at the same end.

I can tell you that none of those will solve you depression. People on here will tell you how this exercise or that diet is the key, and maybe it worked for them, but I'll tell you it's all evasion of the real monster.

In fact, it is likely that nothing will ever cure your depression, it is just something that you will have to resign yourself to living with.

Really dig within yourself, and find the root of your depression, the thing that paints all of your experiences with a black brush, and learn how to laugh at the image of the world that it creates. That's the best advice I can give. You won't change, the world won't change, the way you see the world won't change. But you can change how you react to the way you see the world.