Hypothyroid-- finally an answer!'

Options
I've been trying so hard to drop these 25 pounds for TWO YEARS and feeling exhausted...never eat more than 1200 calories, workout consistently, totally frustrated. WELL, at last I have an answer. My thyroid numbers are supposed to be 1-4...MY number is 29!!! Been on levothyroxine for 4 days and already feel better. Feel like I'm actually getting oxygen. Is that crazy? Also sleeping better. Feel 10 years old! Anyone have a similar experience and then able to lose the weight?

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I started feeling better within a week or two of starting levothyroxine. The brain fog was the first thing to improve for me. It took about six weeks for weight to start coming off. Before diagnosis/starting medication I was barely managing to maintain on 1200 calories a day. After about six weeks of medication I started losing nicely on the same intake. Good luck!
  • MaryLouiseHand
    MaryLouiseHand Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is great news! Glad to hear you are already feeling better. Now maybe you can get rid of those lingering pounds.
  • debstar646
    debstar646 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme...thank you! I'm psyched for sure. MaryLouiseHand...it IS great news. To finally feel like myself again is such an exciting moment.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and have found that when properly medicated, I don't have to do anything drastic or special to lose weight.

Also, just know it can sometimes take a little while to get your meds at the proper level so try not to get frustrated! When I was going through that, I was logging everything and was able to find the correct dosage since I was meticulous but was losing the same 3-5 pounds for the 3 months. but had been losing before hand.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    For me levothyroxine has been like a fountain of youth. After taking it for a few months I felt like the calendar had been rolled back 10 or 15 years. The symptoms of hypothyroidism came on so slowly I really didn't realize what a toll they were taking on me until they were gone.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    HURRAY! Oh, how well I remember that frustration, just not understanding what was wrong with me. :)
    Yay for having an answer!