Drinking more H20-Gaining weight...AHH!?

Options
I was told by my trainer to drink half my weight in ounce of water each day, as I drink maybe 1-2 glasses a day if that now. She said it would help me lose the weight easier as my body is probably dehyrated. I brought a gallon of water to work and managed to get 3/4 of it drank from 7-3pm. I urinated like crazy but was obviously heavier yesterday, when I drank it, and even this morning, and again this afternoon, am 3lbs heavier.

Why did it make me gain weight and does it go away, or if I keep up the massive water intake, will it add on to my weight.

Also, I watch my sodium and so I am not retaining it due to salt.

Just confused a bit by it all and hoping someone can give some insight...

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Don't weight that many times in a day. You probably ate between the am and lunch time way in..which would mean you gained. Weigh in the morning, once a week, naked, after pee, after poo...naked.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Your body is just not used to the increase in water. It is perfectly normal. I am 2 weeks in with the water, (went from 0 cups to an average of 7 a day) and I still feel a bit bloated at times. Your body will shed it fast once it gets used to it. Don't worry about it and try not to weigh yourself while all full on water... it will drive you crazy! LoL.
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's only temporary. Your body is getting rid of excess water, which can take several days, even a week to finally get back to normal. Keep it up; your trainer is right in that if you don't drink enough, you'll retain and keep the pounds on. Give your body a chance to adjust, I promise, you'll see results on the scale and in other ways too (possibly clearer skin, for example) :)
  • pricelessmt
    pricelessmt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did the same. I only drank water when I had to. Now I drink my weight in ounces plus some for my coffee intake and also when I exercise. In the beginning, I gained weight but I think it was just getting used to the extra water. It starts to even out but give it time. You will find that it will definitely help you lose your weight.
  • gabnmill
    gabnmill Posts: 10
    Options
    If you haven't changed your diet and are still working out in the same fashion you shouldn't worry it's just water weight. Take a steam and it will come out. Also check your sodium intake quick! Sodium will make you retain every drop I know you said you watch it but you may want to cut back more. You need it so just keep drinking. You're body probably is confused but it will let it go. Good LUCK
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    Don't weight that many times in a day. You probably ate between the am and lunch time way in..which would mean you gained. Weigh in the morning, once a week, naked, after pee, after poo...naked.

dont forget to do it ... naked in case she didnt mention it :)
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this. Don't get fixated on the number from day to day - you have to space it out to notice a TRUE change.

My coworker does the same thing, I tease her and ask her if she forgot to sneeze before she weighed herself why she went up 0.2lbs from the morning to the midmorning.
  • lovenhope00
    Options
    I ahve an inexpensive scale from walmart - like 20.00 here in ca. You put in your height and when it weighs you it measures your water percentage. So you know if it is up because of that. It also does body fat percentage. So when you gain weight because of muscle you can tell :)
  • wendyloh
    wendyloh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Because you started drinking water all of a sudden, your body thinks you are trying to store it and then go back to your 1-2 cups a day. You are probably retaining the water for now, but you should see the scale go back to normal in about a week. Sudden changes can shock your body, but it will eventually get the idea. No need to worry yourself about it :)
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself each morning, naked. I just did last night because at work we are doing a Biggest Loser Challange.
  • Lowfatbrownie
    Options
    its just water weight a gallon is good for you but your body isnt used to it yet if you workout and watch the sodium the weight should disipate

If you think about it a gallon is like 8 lbs so were does all that go....urination, sweat, and digestion so tech. you need that much to function once you start training harder (you will accually crave it )

hope this helps
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Are you chugging the water or drinking it throughout the day?

Chugging is bad. Pacing is good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

It's normal to have fluctuations in weight. I weigh myself daily, sometimes more often, despite everyone's recommendations. My rule is that I only count a 'gain' if it stays on for more than 3 days. By that 4th day... it's a true gain.

This logic (though potentially crooked) also keeps me motivated to keep going because I have THREE DAYS to work that stuff off! lol
  • MindyLynn77
    MindyLynn77 Posts: 126
    Options
    I need to drink 141 ounces of water per day.. which averages out to 17.6 glasses of water.. Last week I MADE myself drink it, it was HARD!!! But I lost 3.8 lbs for the week :) I definately believe water is the key to success :)
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    when you first start drinking more water your body will hold on to alot more, untill it gets use to that your going to constantly replenish it. It's the bodys way of making sure it does not go back to dehydration.
    Give your self a week of constant rehydration....before you can expect "true" results on the scales.
    water cant make you gain weight.... as in fat!
  • anneamaya
    anneamaya Posts: 10
    Options
    I ahve an inexpensive scale from walmart - like 20.00 here in ca. You put in your height and when it weighs you it measures your water percentage. So you know if it is up because of that. It also does body fat percentage. So when you gain weight because of muscle you can tell :)

Could you share the brand of this scale? Sounds like something I want to get!