Any tips for a newbie?

Options
Hiya!
I have tried this losing weight malarkey so many times and have failed. I am 18, 4ft11 and weigh 195lbs. As you can imagine my almost hobbit height makes me look a lot bigger than someone of my weigh who is taller. I am so unhappy and want to lose weight to make myself feel better and to be healthier.

I have an incredibly sweet tooth and was wandering if any of you lovely people had any tips for me? It would be great to know what works for you eating & exercise -xo

Replies

• guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    My two biggest tips are
    1. Have an open mind. Try new foods, try different flavor combinations and get yourself outside the box, it really helps me at least to not eat the same things all the time, keeps it exciting and not so boring.
    2. DRINK ALL THE WATER. All of it. It really helps and makes you feel great.

*bonus tip: CICO is key.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Food scale, start weighing every solid food that passes your lips.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Food scale, start weighing every solid that passes your lips.

Totally forgot this, DO IT. Food scales are fantastic and totally worth it.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I found staying away from anyone who eats out and not watching tv helped quite a bit. I find being around people who are less dedicated than you is a recipe for failure. I try not to eat anything other than whole foods but obviously some things like bread, I slack with. An example of a whole food in my mind is an apple, an apple pie is not a whole food.
  • chloedanielle03
    chloedanielle03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @guinevere96 thanks so much lovely, I must admit trying new foods etc is something I don't tend to do but really want to! I think when I'm trying to eat healthier I tend to eat the same things then give up after a week or so. I also need to drink so much more water and cut out coffee! Haha thanks again for the tips! :smiley:
  • chloedanielle03
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Food scale, start weighing every solid food that passes your lips.

I've never thought of doing that! Thanks :)
  • chloedanielle03
    Options
    zerojunk wrote: »
    I found staying away from anyone who eats out and not watching tv helped quite a bit. I find being around people who are less dedicated than you is a recipe for failure. I try not to eat anything other than whole foods but obviously some things like bread, I slack with. An example of a whole food in my mind is an apple, an apple pie is not a whole food.

Staying away from people who eat out a lot is such a good tip! Only downfall for that is my boyfriend orders so many takeaways! It's going to test my motivation a lot! But hopefully once I'm in a routine of eating good healthy food I won't be bothered about takeout etc :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Log everything honestly, stick to the calorie goal MFP gives you but most of all, don't quit. I lost 32 pounds on here a couple of years ago. I recently quit smoking and went back to my old ways of eating and put a lot back on but I am back on track again and will lose the extra weight. This site really does work if you use it properly. Listen to people who have succeeded and steer clear of any fad diets. Calories in calories out for weight loss and exercise for fitness and stamina.
  • chloedanielle03
    Options
    Log everything honestly, stick to the calorie goal MFP gives you but most of all, don't quit. I lost 32 pounds on here a couple of years ago. I recently quit smoking and went back to my old ways of eating and put a lot back on but I am back on track again and will lose the extra weight. This site really does work if you use it properly. Listen to people who have succeeded and steer clear of any fad diets. Calories in calories out for weight loss and exercise for fitness and stamina.

Thanks lovely! I am feeling so motivated this time around and I have heard a lot of people saying logging everything they eat and sticking to their set calorie intake has helped them lose weight. I just need to stick to it! Good luck with your journey -xo
  • MeganWillet
    MeganWillet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Be diligent about exercise but allow yourself some freedoms with food (within reason). I have found that if I am too strict and limit my favorites, I fall off the wagon. I follow weekly calories instead of daily so that I can have some fun on the weekends. :) Also, find an exercise you actually enjoy. For me, that is swimming. Do it almost every day.
  • slhawes1
    slhawes1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone just a quick question. When using this app, do you eat back the calories you burned during exercise ? Thanks
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    slhawes1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone just a quick question. When using this app, do you eat back the calories you burned during exercise ? Thanks

As long as you are confident your tracking of calories in and out are accurate, yes eat them back. If you are not losing, eat back less.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My tip is to read all the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum. These threads provide the best info & tips on the site!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    zerojunk wrote: »

Staying away from people who eat out a lot is such a good tip! Only downfall for that is my boyfriend orders so many takeaways! It's going to test my motivation a lot! But hopefully once I'm in a routine of eating good healthy food I won't be bothered about takeout etc :)

Now remember that your healthy food has to compete with your boyfriend's takeaway, so it better be good! You can eat anything you want and lose weight, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. A little "junkfood" does not make your entire diet "unhealthy". BUT, the calorie:nutrition ratio is important - you will be very hungry and tired if all you eat is junk. So, find a way to balance taste preference and nutrients. Trying new foods can help you on that quest.
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Learning to be discipline & consistent. Yes it's hard but it does get better once you start seeing your payoff and having motivation from friends helps greatly. Open diaries and being true to yourself with logging ALL your food.
  • Jay_Maddy
    Jay_Maddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you have the time check out Feeding Fitness on YouTube.
    I learned some much when I was first starting out..