Too much fiber?

Options
Is too much fiber bad? I eat a lot of fruit & veggies, high fiber breads and cereals. I usually go over my suggested amount. Anyone know if that's a bad thing?

Replies

• connamiragna
    Options
    I also do this, I've never heard of too much fiber being a bad thing for your weight
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    IMO, Heck NO! Fiber is wonderful for you and your diet! I consider a diet high in protein and fiber, and low in fat and carbs to be the best for you, but of course, thats merely my opinion!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    No such thing! Just make sure you drink plenty of fluids along with it.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a good thing! Don't worry about going over
  • Aliciakay252
    Options
    How much fiber are you getting?

If you go over 50 grams per day, this can interfere with the absorption of some minerals, such as calcium, iron, and magnesium.

Some days, I get 67 grams of fiber in a day! I learned I need to tone it down with the fiber bars, fiber oatmeal, fiber yogurt, fiber cottage cheese, etc.

I am a Registered Dietitian and obsessed with fiber! But I need to take it easy! :)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go over on fiber....I WISH
  • katybecker
    katybecker Posts: 18
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks all for your help. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it lol but I'll keep an eye on it. Tuner, if you like tortilla wraps or quesadillas Ole Mexican Foods makes a product called Xtreme Wellness high fiber tortillas. They're actually really good and each one has only 71 calories and 12 grams fiber. I get them from Sams Club. 1 or 2 of them a day should help you get there.
  • Aliciakay252
    Options
    It's SO easy to get the recommended amount of fiber per day!! 25-35 g per day is recommended.

Quaker High Fiber oatmeal 10g
    Fiber One yogurt 5 g (only 50 cal!)
    Fiber One bar 9 g
    Fiber One cottage cheese 6 g
    Spenda with fiber 1 g fiber per packet

I think you get the picture! :)

Fiber One also has brownies now!!
  • sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I TRY to go over on my fiber every day. There is no such thing as too much fiber. Most people don't eat enough fiber in a day. So no worries on your fiber intake. It is very good for you.