Starvation Mode

Options
What percentage of your daily calories should you stay above to avoid having your body go into "starvation mode" and stop losing weight? Will one day under your goal do it, does it take multiple days of low calories?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't real...so, you're good. Under eating to too large of a deficit can cause other problems however.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist in that kind of context.

You should however, strive to meet your body's minimum requirements to keep from being malnutritioned, maintain as much LBM as possible and stay healthy in general.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What you think starvation mode is doesn't exist.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Starvation mode doesn't exist in that kind of context

You should however, strive to meet your body's minimum requirements to keep from being malnutritioned, maintain as much LBM as possible and stay healthy in general.

Yeah. This.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I need to go to bed. I had to read that 4 times to make it work in my head :joy:
  • strong_curves
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I need to go to bed. I had to read that 4 times to make it work in my head :joy:

LOL I wrote it like I'm talking to myself. It's not you, it's me :D
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You need to eat enough food to maintain good health. Somewhere around .4g of fat per pound of body weight and .6g of protein per pound of body weight as a minimum. Women should eat more than 1200 calories per day and men more than 1500 as a general guideline. Your calories and the ratios of carbs/proteins/fats can be tweaked depending on your goals and lifestyle. But as the others said, the starvation mode is just a myth.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I first read it as a question, "What you think starvation mode is? Doesn't exist!" because of the "what." You usually have better punctuation, hence the confusion at first ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I first read it as a question, "What you think starvation mode is? Doesn't exist!" because of the "what." You usually have better punctuation, hence the confusion at first ;)

I usually phrase it "Starvation mode isn't what you think it is, and it doesn't do what you think it does".

If the genpop version of "starvation mode" really did what people think it does, there would be a whole lot of really fat anorexics wandering around. And starving children in third-world/food-deprived countries would all be obese rather than emaciated.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesnt exist
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Another term that has been destroyed and abused by the fitness industry woo spreaders. True starvation mode takes usually days of zero food, and weight loss still takes place. If anyone reaches true starvation mode in the sense that their body is attempting to self preserve, then you are surely doing your weight loss grossly wrong.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Even if starvation mode in the way you mean did exist, do you logically thing it would kick in after 1 day? Wouldn't that mean anyone whose ever had the stomach flu would be in 'starvation mode'?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    What you think starvation mode is, doesn't exist.

Better, @kkenseth ?
  • strong_curves
    Options
    What you think starvation mode is, doesn't exist.

Better, @kkenseth ?

Much :D