Is it okay to net under 1000 if...

Options
If your sedentary calorie burn is about 1600?

It's only ~600 deficit so I don't see how this could be damaging. I eat about 1400 and do 500 in exercise.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How much you have to lose ? The 1400 of food should cover nutrients but "22 years old Female" is the only other info we have :-)
  • AnnaDyer836
    AnnaDyer836 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 164cm, around 54kg. Not too much left to lose -- I am not allowed to drop below 50
  • AnnaDyer836
    Options
    I am small framed and quite flabby - so 54 looks fairly big on me
  • AnnaDyer836
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I also believe starvation mode is a myth - from experience
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So the 1400 is a very modest deficit and the exercise bumps that up. Your fat reserves should cover ~700 kcal of deficit so you're pushing the limit maybe eating a proportion of the exercise calories and taking a bit longer would be advisable for a soft landing at 50 kg esp as the latter is your floor and 18.5 BMI.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If your sedentary calorie burn is about 1600?

It's only ~600 deficit so I don't see how this could be damaging. I eat about 1400 and do 500 in exercise.

I wouldn't want to eat under 1000 calories more than twice a week. Net is fine for the most part providing you are eating over a thousand calories. Don't force yourself but be careful.
    You'll never be able to eat properly (or at least easily) if you don't sleep well is my other advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for a decent progressive resistance programme

At your height and weight if you are still not happy with your body it is possibly down to composition and body confidence rather than fat

Books
    Strong Curves - Brett Contreras

Online free programmes
    stronglifts5x5
    starting strength

in terms of calories - no that's too steep a defecit - go for a 250 cut maximum if you must

• germanpiper
    germanpiper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am small framed and quite flabby - so 54 looks fairly big on me

I think you should look into body recomposition - no further weightloss!

• AnnaDyer836
    Options
    It just seems so slow to me. I used to weigh a *lot* less than 50 but I was very ill and wasted way too long in hospital and it's not a path I will go down again.

In terms of recomposition. Would I just eat maintenance with high % protein plus resistance training? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I've just never done this the healthy way before and am not used to it going so slowly.
  • AnnaDyer836
    Options
    And no before anyone reports me I am not pro ED. I don't want to be dying again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It just seems so slow to me. I used to weigh a *lot* less than 50 but I was very ill and wasted way too long in hospital and it's not a path I will go down again.

In terms of recomposition. Would I just eat maintenance with high % protein plus resistance training? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I've just never done this the healthy way before and am not used to it going so slowly.

Yes that is exactly what you'd do

Set your protein as a minimum at 0.65 - 0.8g protein per lb bodyweight, set your fat to 0.35g per lb (again as a minimum ... good fats of course)

eat a widespread nutritious diet to your maintenance or above (in consultation with your ED team .. should you really be tracking calories?)

and resistance training - progressive

but primarily focus on your mindset
  • germanpiper
    germanpiper Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

In terms of recomposition. Would I just eat maintenance with high % protein plus resistance training?

You might even need to eat a modest calorie surplus. Building muscle on a calorie deficit ist hard to to...but yeah, resistance training, enough protein and (at least) eating back your training calories will get you there. Mind you, the number on the scale might go up, but you will lean out!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When you weighed less, your advisors got you to gain weight rapidly in order to restore your fat levels such that your hormones would return to normal operation.

From my limited understanding, it also appears to be the case that weight regain, by itself, sometimes reverses brain chemistry that may have been associated with an eating disorder.

Again from my limited understanding the gain of additional fat is supposed to act as insurance to avoid accidental under-eating and landing in the previous problem situation.

All the above makes it a little worrying to have a goal associated with reducing fat.

I understand that because of loss of muscle mass during your past adventures, your body composition may not be to your liking.

However in your situation, more so even than that of a random person whose body composition does not please them, I would think that the logical way forward involves trying to build muscle at a your current, or higher, weight. *This would improve your body composition and get you the look you want*.

@rabbitjb gave you some good suggestions of programs that might help with that.

Trying to reduce what is essentially... (in your case) essential fat does not seem like a great idea.
  • AnnaDyer836
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When you weighed less, your advisors got you to gain weight rapidly in order to restore your fat levels such that your hormones would return to normal operation.

From my limited understanding, it also appears to be the case that weight regain, by itself, sometimes reverses brain chemistry that may have been associated with an eating disorder.

Again from my limited understanding the gain of additional fat is supposed to act as insurance to avoid accidental under-eating and landing in the previous problem situation.

All the above makes it a little worrying to have a goal associated with reducing fat.

I understand that because of loss of muscle mass during your past adventures, your body composition may not be to your liking.

However in your situation, more so even than that of a random person whose body composition does not please them, I would think that the logical way forward involves trying to build muscle at a your current, or higher, weight. *This would improve your body composition and get you the look you want*.

@rabbitjb gave you some good suggestions of programs that might help with that.

Trying to reduce what is essentially... (in your case) essential fat does not seem like a great idea.

Yes - very true. I put on those 15ish kg in a few months in a controlled environment and then had a *lot* of mental health work done. Unfortunately my weight is now higher than it was pre ED and my composition has changed. I guess that's fair enough, and it is so there's a 'safety net', but still, I'd like to be strong and fit (and stay healthy) again. I'll give the maintenance and resistance a shot :)
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats at 54kg you are just within the healthy BMI range. Some toning without weight loss may help you feel better about how you look, I really wouldn't recommend you trying to lose any. x
  • AnnaDyer836
    Options
    Update - an average 800 deficit / week is doing nothing. I've actually gained weight.
  • AnnaDyer836
    Options
    800 per day a week, I mean
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    800 per day a week, I mean

Then you are not actually eating/Neti g 800 calories a day. How do you calculate your food intake? If with a measuring cup/eyeballing it, you need to get a food scale. You are likely eating much more than you think.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Update - an average 800 deficit / week is doing nothing. I've actually gained weight.

#1 - what are you doing for exercise and how do you figure your calorie burn

#2 - it has been 2 days. It is impossible to know you are gaining true weight at that calorie intake in 2 days. You may have gained water weight for any number of reasons. It takes 4-6 weeks of tracking to get an idea if you are actually gaining/losing/maintaining.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are perfect right now honestly, you are burning about 1 hours worth of cardio a day which is strong and healthy I think. Your BMI is right in the middle of healthy which is where I'm aiming. Maybe a change of environment is what you really need, including the people around you.