Want to start strength training- no gym

Options
tomatosoup3
tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So the title says it all...
I've lost about 28 pounds so far (just CICO, no exercise), only about 20 more pounds to goal. I'm happy with the results, but not 100% satisfied...
After reading all about the magic of strength training on these forums I'd really like to start. Unfortunately where I live I have no access to a gym, or any funds (or space) to have home equipment.

I've heard there are good bodyweight programs, but I don't know much about them. Is there a specific one anyone can recommend, that they've done and seen results?

Thanks very much!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Pick up a suspension trainer. You can do strength training on it and it doens't require anything more than a door to mount it on. And it's portable and doesn't take up any room in your home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcFmhpk7D3o

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HisRedAngel
    HisRedAngel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining bodybuilder.com and making An account with all your goals. That will open up your search for programs
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've personally used mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym book (there are separate male and female versions) but I've read (but not followed the plan) Convict Conditioning. Both are considered to be good body weight programs.
  • rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in this. What equipment do you need to get started? Barbells? Weight bench? Squat rack?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I have used Nerdfitness body weight routine and found it a good programme.

If you are just starting simplify the moves ( ie: push-ups against a wall) and progress until you can complete the move. It is a 3 set routine, work towards completing one set, then build up from there.
    I started as weak as a kitten so had to work up to completing the whole programme as laid out. Once I could do that well, I started adding complexity to the moves (ie: side planks instead of planks). It is a programme that can grow with you or set you up for something more challenging.

Cheers, h.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy stuff and put them down. Rinse. Repeat. All you need to do is to start off with a low enough weight and pick up progressively heavier things.
  • tomatosoup3
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone! i was looking for a specific routine as many of your suggested, so thanks!
    @trjjoy what am i supposed to do- start picking up my dining room table? the couch?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Seriously, dude? How 'bout buying some of those huge bags of dog feed. Or whatever. Buy a bag or two that can hold 25kg and fill it with whatever. Lug that around. Deadlift it. Bench press it. Be creative.
  • tomatosoup3
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Seriously, dude? How 'bout buying some of those huge bags of dog feed. Or whatever. Buy a bag or two that can hold 25kg and fill it with whatever. Lug that around. Deadlift it. Bench press it. Be creative.

lol. i'm completely new to this! i don't even know what deadlifting or benchpressing is. i think i'll just stick to a book or something...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html is a good place to start. Another program that people like is "You are your own gym" or YAYOG.

As for picking heavy things up, there is no reason you can't combine body weight with whatever you find in the house. However, some things don't lend well to certain exercises. I wouldn't suggest bench pressing 4 25lb bags of dog food, you'll probably drop them. But, you can throw a backpack full of stuff on your back and do push ups.

Combine pure body weight with what you find in the house and a suspension trainer and you can go a long way. You can even throw in some resistance bands along the way.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've personally used mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym book (there are separate male and female versions) but I've read (but not followed the plan) Convict Conditioning. Both are considered to be good body weight programs.

https://marklauren.com/

This is what I started using about 3 weeks ago and its been great. I paid $4.99 I believe for the app on my iPad, and I haven't needed any specialized equipment at all, just things you already have in your house you can use as equipment. I would recommend it to anyone.

The startbodyweight.com website is good, too. But I find the YAYOG program to be more structured and easier to follow for me personally.

There are a ton of bodyweight/home workout programs available. Just do a Google search for "bodyweight workouts" and you will see. Any program that is progressive and builds upon itself will get you results.

Good luck!
  • tomatosoup3
    Options
    thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

lol. i'm completely new to this! i don't even know what deadlifting or benchpressing is. i think i'll just stick to a book or something...

Good idea. Find an actual plan and stick to it. Don't listen to that woman.
  • Ammi13
    Ammi13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are lots of free apps for the phone as well as training tips on youtube and internet. Stick with the more known ones like bodybuilder.com. Also if you can't afford weights etc for home sand, bags, and duct tape work. Fill plastic bags up with the desired weight then tape the whole thing, you can even make yourself a handle if you want it like a kettlebell. You can get the sand and tape cheap at homedepot etc.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We bought 2 books that we used to start weight training. Starting Strength and Strong Curves.
    Bodybuilding . com has lots of workouts and videos to show you proper form.
    We bought adjustable dumb bells to get started.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Body weight training has zero cost to the consumer. Push ups, sit ups, crunches, burpees, squats, lunges... the list goes on an on. Add in chair for incline push ups and dips. If you get desperate for some weights, resistance bands are fantastic or buy a few light weights (less than 5 lbs) and use them when you walk/jog/run.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com + two sets of adjustable dumbbells (the kind with handles and disks, you can get them on eBay)
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com + two sets of adjustable dumbbells (the kind with handles and disks, you can get them on eBay)

THIS
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I always recommend HIIT for people looking for the best results with working out at home. You can combine strength training (with body weight to start) with cardio for maximum results. Here are 2 easy ones, you need a treadmill for one, but you could find a way to do it outside: https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/quick-weight-loss-HIIT/