Terrified!

Options
Mak32069
Mak32069 Posts: 11 Member
So, I finally took the plunge and got on the scales today. I've never been this heavy before. I have a long way to go and I am terrified I won't be able to do it.

I have been trying to lose weight my whole adult life - my mum died when she was 44 and, as I draw near to that age, I live in constant fear that this is it for me.

The reality is, unless I do something now, it very well could be. This journey is hard - anyone out there want to add me so that we can motivate each other? I'm gonna need it.

Advice welcome, celebrations shared, NSVs...all and any helpful comments/buddies will be most appreciated. I'll start...today I cleared out my fridge and filled it with fresh veggies, salad and fruits!! Lunch is ready so no stopping at shops. Starting strong :smiley:

Sx

Replies

• emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm starting again after getting to the heaviest I've been in over 10 yrs happy for you to add me for some mutual support and encouragement
  • Drine85
    Drine85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We are all scared in the beginning but what I did was embrace that feeling and everyday I try to eliminate the reasons that triggered it in first place . Your making the most difficult and important step today .
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this. Log everyday, whether you feel like it or not. Rain or shine. You will be successful!
  • Mak32069
    Options
    Consider yourself added, Emma! Thank you, Drine - reassuring to know everyone feels that way to begin with :)
  • Mak32069
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Welcome! You can do this. Log everyday, whether you feel like it or not. Rain or shine. You will be successful!

Thank you!
  • helenmnisbet1980
    helenmnisbet1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I also braved the dreaded scale two weeks ago after avoiding for 3 years! I too am the biggest I've ever been. I'm using the numbers on that scale as my motivation not to quit this again! Hoping that motivation lasts!
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Mak not sure if I deleted you by mistake sorry still trying to get to know the app!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    YOU can do this! I have been logging for 96 days, (husband is at 280 something...dang him), down about 33 lbs, but hey its not the number that is important, is how I feel. Remember LOSING WEIGHT is not the key to happiness, HAPPINESS is the key to losing weight! So just log, drink water based drinks, move every day, and do things that change the way you think. Losing weight is a mind game. Change your mind, you can change you body. Add me is you wish, and you can see what I put in my journal. This plan is so doable, because its choices you make, and steps you take, not preplanned like a Jenny Craig. YOU got this.
  • bzcg2010
    bzcg2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified too. I never thought I would gain this much weight. I let myself go and to be honest, I'm ashamed too. I just got lazy and didn't care what I ate. But I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off. Good luck to you!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Facing the scales is terrifying. Logging cals and being real with yourself is eye opening initially, and then liberating as you begin to realize that it is all within your control. You can do it, but you need to be persistent, consistent, and patient.
  • Mak32069
    Options
    Wow - this is great! So many helpful comments. Thank you all - I already feel more motivated :smile:
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid to look at the scale, get one that is Internet connected. These scales can automatically upload to MFP so you step on, wait, step off and MFP will track you weight until you are ready to look at it. I have the Aria, but there are lots of others.