Unsupportive friends and family

Options
2»

Replies

• maplesyrup10
    maplesyrup10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I found out after my first wave of weight loss that girls thought I was bulimic (I went from 200 to 145). People will say what they want to justify something they don't understand. Also, I agree with everyone here, jealousy can be a poisonous factor. In all the negative, there is also positive, like your success and good influence on others.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    been there.

giiirl, i keep it all inside now. just do you. ♥
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If they aren't supportive, don't share it with them!

Do what makes you happy. Forget what they think. If it makes you feel good then try to ignore what they say or think and stay motivated for yourself.

It is annoying and dissapointing when your own family or friends are not encouraging, but just stick with it and pay them no mind.
    ;-)

I didn't tell anyone except my husband and a couple close friends that are on MFP, that I was doing this. People are starting to notice and comment, I just tell them I've dropped a few pounds and leave it at that. I don't need anyone telling me I don't need to lose anymore. I'll decide when I'm ready for maintenance which I'm sure will be another challenge.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I felt this just tonight when my partner groused at me for delaying dinner to weigh ingredients. He also makes comments whenever he notices me logging.
    I chalk it up to he knows he needs to eat better, but doesn't want to, and resents me doing it.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My husband parroted 'concerns' expressed to him by a friend who hasn't seen me for the best part of a year (and who didn't know me before I gained weight). He knows full well what I'm aiming for and how I'm doing it (he does the cooking at home so it's not like we never talk about food). I told him how odd I found it that a 5'7" 120-ish lb woman was concerned about a 5'3" 136lb woman being 'too skinny' and I think the lightbulb went on over his head, but AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You say have never really been overweight, but stressed about being less thin than your friends and people are telling you you look fine. Why is this not supportive? How is it negative? Would you want them to tell you you look awful? Or that when you had a bit more weight (and it must have been just a bit unless you now are underweight) you were fat? Losing a few kilos and moving from e.g. high normal BMI to mid range is something most people around you will not even notice, it is one of these things that really are about you and how you feel better.
    Now, assuming you are honest and never really had a weight issue, if the plan is to log calories forever, or if this is how your friends and relatives understand it, I understand their concerns. Calorie counting is a tool. It can be helpful sort term to figure out better portion sizes and it can be helpful long term when you have been for years eating way too much or too little and have kind of lost the ability to eat intuitively. But if you decide to count calories forever because it makes the difference between a BMI of 20 and 23, then this is concerning behaviour or at least is makes sense for people to wonder if fine tuning your weight is becoming an obsession.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lol mine is kinda difrent the day i told my mom i was losing wait she cooked the bombest meals the whole week and i was like noooooooooo so kinda the same? Lol
  • JLove115
    JLove115 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's hard, I like the accountability of people knowing, but not the criticism.