Any weight watchers followers here?

Options
Mariluce
Mariluce Posts: 8 Member
Hi.
My name is Mariluce.
I have been struggling with my weight since I was a teenager.
I have been following the weight watchers program but I decided to give myfitness pal a try and I am loving it... Much more than weight watchers.
I have some questions though. I don't know if any of you could please help me.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• cmjohnson53
    cmjohnson53 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Mariluce. You've made a wise choice to use MFP, in my opinion. I consider myself relatively new also, I've been on MFP seriously since Oct. and I've lost 42 pounds. I had tried innumerable fad diets through the years, including three rounds of WW (though it's not really a fad diet). My mother told me years ago that it was simply a matter of calories in and out. Of course I didn't think she knew what she was talking about! (Dumb younger me!) If I can help you, I'll try my best to give you info and support as you need it.
  • Mariluce
    Mariluce Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Awww, so sweet of you cmjohnson53. I was just trying to find out how I could still have the weekly smart point from ww doing my fitness pal. I guess I have to save some of my calories everyday?
    I am a binge eater ( really bad ) and I need to loose 60 lbs. I weight 229 now ( I have started at 234 ) and two weeks ago , I started my fitness pal. Since then, I lost 5 lbs. I am SOOOO HAPPY.... I still can eat my peanut butter lol.
    Congratulations on your loss!!!! If you could give me some tips for this big weight loss, what would you tell me that you did that help you? Thank you so much again. Mariluce
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Mauriluce!
    I also recently switched from WW to MFP. I started WW mid-Dec 2015, and paralleled my tracking with MFP for the comparison. I dropped WW 3 weeks ago because I found that I felt LESS GUILTY about the choices I made with what I ate. Changing eating habits won't happen overnight, and I felt like WW gave you guilt complexes for choosing one thing over the other. MFP also encouraged me to actually eat more whole foods as opposed to WW, where I tended to choose higher chemical things (like fat-free, or sugar-free). I am consistently losing more weight with MFP than WW, because I can also keep an eye on macros (you don't have to, but that's what I like to do.) I have a MUCH better understanding of the food that is going into my body with MFP. I don't plan on tracking forever and MFP, will help me develop better eating choices once that time comes.

I know one thing that some folks do to "bank" WW weeklies, they'll make an entry every day in their food diaries called "BANK CALORIES" and maybe allot 25-50 calories each day. It will take out from your daily so you can save it for whenever you get that binge urge. Hope this helps! :) Good luck!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi Mariluce As for your question, I think MFP is more about learning how to manage your food consumption daily and making healthy eating a habit. (love peanut butter too by the way....and bread, yum) I feel like saving your points so you can indulge on a specific day wouldn't do you any good here or just in general. It's too tempting to think that on a given day you can just binge on whatever you want. Sounds like such a terrible downward spiral. Whenever I've left a day to binge, I felt so bad about myself the next day and thought, what's the point. That's how I've "fallen of the wagon" before. If you calculate your calories strategically per day, you can leave enough for a yummy snack every day. That becomes the fun part for me. I think, how well can I eat throughout the day so that I can indulge in some ice cream after dinner? lol. Hope this helps at least a little.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers years ago & I lost 60lbs.. Mostly because I was eating HORRIBLE foods. I just started counting my own points, and gradually I gained a little bit back (not much). I tried going back, but #1 - the people in this town are RUDE!. I would sit in a corner all by myself at that meetings because I felt so left out. I tried introducing myself, and that got me nowhere.. I'm very shy face to face, so it's hard for me to meet people. Anyway, so I joined MFP, I've been on it for a long time.. I lost 18lbs, but then I quit smoking & gained 30, now I have lost 13 of it. #2 - I discovered the formula for the new Weight Watchers Smart Points. And I'm using the Fit points formula for points plus. I have been comparing the MFP & smart points results. WW points are keeping me on track for eating healthy foods,no processed foods, or grabbing a quick bite at the drive through. There have been times I have gone hiking all day, and according to MFP I had lots of calories left, so I would go into BEAST MODE and do a swan dive into the pantry. With WW, I find out that is not the case. So between the two, I have stayed focused, on eating right, and since the beginning of the year I have noticed the scales budging, and the tape measure getting smaller!
    If anyone has the breakdown of the Fit points etc. I would greatly appreciate it. I heard you actually get more points. Since it's new, no one is actually putting info out on the internet yet.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW for 2 months and I've lost 10lbs. I lost 30lbs about 8-9 years ago on WW but gained it back, and then some, after having a baby 4 years ago and then going through a divorce. I just joined MFP last week and I'm going to experiment with counting Smart Points vs counting calories. I'm following WW and exercising but my weight loss has been so slow that I'm losing interest in it - I feel like I'm trying so hard for such little reward. I have a month left on my WW membership so that will give me enough time to decide how to proceed in the future. I'm interested in others' experiences with WW vs counting calories. Good luck to all!
  • healthy_kitty1
    healthy_kitty1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI everyone. I have been doing WW for years I had lost 100 pounds. I had spinal fusion surgery last Aug gain about 20 back just before and another 20 just after. But since WW switched to smart points my weight loss has stopped. I liked it at first but now no so much. For the first time in my WW life I feel like food is good or bad. I always felt before that I could eat what I wanted but in moderation, but smart points are so high on some foods that it makes you feel guilty for having them. I am giving MFP a whirl. My son does MFP and loves it. Today is actually my first day on MFP. all advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I did WW for years with no results. I think I was just resisting it because I feel like there was guilt/shame built into the system.

It may not have been intentional, but I felt it never the less.

I am doing much better with MFP.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also mostly eat whole foods, etc. I am gluten free since 1997 and a SAHM so I really plan my cooking out using real foods. I never really felt like these realities were supported at WW. Here I feel like they are.