How long is it ok to sit down for??

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
Odd question I know but wondered if there are any studies etc showing max recommend periods of inactivity (i.e. Sitting down)

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have read that if you have a sedentary job you should bet up and walk every hour or so, I don't mean take a long walk but just get up and stretch and get the blood flowing. If you have medical issues I would say you should definitely speak to your physician.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If you google sigma nutrition, he brought on a researcher to talk about that. I don't recall which episode.

But his recommendation was standing for 4 hours in an 8 hour work day, which is kind of crazy. I think the UK came out with guidelines after his research that you should stand for 10 minutes every hour at minimum. Based on his research, people who stood 4 hours a day compared to sedentary office workers burned about 350 extra calories and were able to maintain leanness despite overfeeding.

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    If you google sigma nutrition, he brought on a researcher to talk about that. I don't recall which episode.

But his recommendation was standing for 4 hours in an 8 hour work day, which is kind of crazy. I think the UK came out with guidelines after his research that you should stand for 10 minutes every hour at minimum. Based on his research, people who stood 4 hours a day compared to sedentary office workers burned about 350 extra calories and were able to maintain leanness despite overfeeding.

Lovely thank you
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    this review suggests that there isn't a prescribed amount of activity http://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(12)00208-2/abstract
    although does reference WHO guidelines etc.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you have any spinal issues then getting up and moving just a bit every hour or so is good. It helps to decompress your spine and move muscles. Many who sit all day have lower back issues.

I tried the stand up workstation and hated it. My gal uses one and like it a lot. To each his/her own.

I've also used a large balance ball for sitting. Helps with spinal compression and forces you to use your core.