If EVER you run or walk, please read

Options
If you run or walk, even infrequently, and you bring your phone with you please consider downloading the Charity Miles app.

Every time you workout, you select a charity. The app matches you with a corporate sponsor like Johnson & Johnson or Timex and these companies donate to the charity based on how much mileage you cover when the app GPS tracks your activity.

I don't live in the US but I still get to pick a charity that means something to me based on its mission. Many of them have a global reach too.

Last week I raised nearly $10 just by moving my *kitten*. That is $520 annual to my charity - another good reason to pound the pavement.

Please consider getting this fabulous app and helping others while you help your body!

Love,

Liv

(P.S I always run for the Michael J Fox Foundation as Parkinson's is on both sides of my family and would love it if you'd occasional choose them)

Replies

• edub12345
    edub12345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hope this is legit! Downloading now :)
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    edub12345 wrote: »
    I hope this is legit! Downloading now :)

Yay! I told myself that if I even got one person to do this it'd be a successful post!

It really is legit. Swear no spam. I'm just really passionate about giving back and especially about finding a cure for Parkinson's. We have lost 2 of my granduncles and 2 of my grandaunts on my dad's side, my grandmother has it (dad's mom) and my grandfather on my mother's side was diagnosed 2 years ago.

Apparently the app also works if you use a treadmill but I only run outside so I don't know how that works.
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I live in the us will it work here? It sounds amazing not sure why I haven't heard of it before?
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How can you be absolutely sure they're donating to the charity you've selected and not just pocketing the money? My guess is there's really no way to know.

I'll continue my donations to a local charity where I actually know the people the money is helping.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There's no way to know what they're actually doing with the money - but it was never my money to begin with. The app just allows you to allocate funds that they have designated for donation, anyway. You don't lose anything, and potentially you cause these businesses to donate more than otherwise to the cause you prefer.

ETA: There's a similar app for pet shelters - you can even run them simultaneously. I'm not affiliated, yadda, yadda... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionxl.wooftrax.wfad
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    Apparently the app also works if you use a treadmill but I only run outside so I don't know how that works.

They use the accelerometer in your phone, so you can't just rest it on the treadmill - you'll need an armband or pocket. (The GPS works better.)
  • richmond2410
    richmond2410 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    do you have to have a data plan for the gps to work?
    I don't have data on my phone, but I can use the wifi in my building for apps.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know what they're actually doing with the money - but it was never my money to begin with. The app just allows you to allocate funds that they have designated for donation, anyway. You don't lose anything, and potentially you cause these businesses to donate more than otherwise to the cause you prefer.

ETA: There's a similar app for pet shelters - you can even run them simultaneously. I'm not affiliated, yadda, yadda... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionxl.wooftrax.wfad

Thanks, I'll be downloading this one :)
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    How can you be absolutely sure they're donating to the charity you've selected and not just pocketing the money? My guess is there's really no way to know.

I'll continue my donations to a local charity where I actually know the people the money is helping.

Hi I understand your skepticism but I tweet each of my runs with the prep-populated message which the app generates. It automatically tags both the sponsor & the charity in the tweet and the Michael J Fox Foundation always like those post so I very much doubt they are not getting the money. I can't imagine they'd be supportive if they were getting screwed.

All the best with your donations. I will continue to make mine and run this app for a little something extra!
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    do you have to have a data plan for the gps to work?
    I don't have data on my phone, but I can use the wifi in my building for apps.

I have very little data so I always turn mine off when I am out of the range of wifi and have been able to run the app. If you are worried about it using your data I'd suggest you turn off "mobile data" the first time you use it to check it isn't using your data! :-)

Thanks for being open to giving it a try
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    mel35645 wrote: »
    I live in the us will it work here? It sounds amazing not sure why I haven't heard of it before?

It is a US app so you should have no problems at all. I use it in Australia and it is fine, because my charity is global.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    What systems are compatible with the app? My phones consist of Black Berry and Windows 8... so I can't use Android or Apple (bah).
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm going to download this app(and the app for pet shelter) soon. Thanks for sharing!
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    What systems are compatible with the app? My phones consist of Black Berry and Windows 8... so I can't use Android or Apple (bah).

Unfortunately, according to the website, apple and android only :neutral:

http://www.charitymiles.org/
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    I'm going to download this app(and the app for pet shelter) soon. Thanks for sharing!

No reason they can't both be run simultaneously!
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    man, i run with an old phone that has all my music on it, not my new one. I may have to find an armband to fit my new phone just to use this app. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years ago so I will definitely be hitting MJF's charity up. Thank you for posting this.
  • Livgetfit
    Options
    man, i run with an old phone that has all my music on it, not my new one. I may have to find an armband to fit my new phone just to use this app. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years ago so I will definitely be hitting MJF's charity up. Thank you for posting this.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. What I love about MJFF is that they are all about finding the cure.

p.s I got my band for like $9 on ebay. Quality export of China :smiley:
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. What I love about MJFF is that they are all about finding the cure.

Just purchased the same one you have, most likely. Also downloading the app.
  • Livgetfit
    Options

Just purchased the same one you have, most likely. Also downloading the app.

Wahoo, power in numbers!