Possible to eat all your daily 1500 cal in one meal?

Options
At a place like Souplantation where half of the meal is spring mix salad? Seriously my weekend eating is very screwy and I'm tired to doing estimation.

One more question, if you eat too much calories at one time, does your body absorb them ALL?

Thanks.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yes. And yes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible for a meal to be over 1500 calories. Easy, even.

And yup - if it goes in, it gets processed and the calories get absorbed. Unless it's corn. We all know corn comes out the same way it went in.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It's super easy to eat 1500 calories at a restaurant. My favorite meal at my favorite restaurant is probably close to that but I eat it anyway and just log it.

It's also not THAT hard to eat less, but it adds up fast if you're not being careful.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I actually have to TRY to keep my restaurant meals below 1500. If I don't try, they are easily 1500.
  • jusca
    jusca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, you can very easily if you eat out!
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I used to do it all of the time, lol!
  • abhijeetchar
    abhijeetchar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Go for pizza with soft drinks..u will easily get 1500 cals...hehe
  • cv2k
    cv2k Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1500 cals, I'll bet some of my old late night snacks used to be that much.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    At a place like Souplantation where half of the meal is spring mix salad? Seriously my weekend eating is very screwy and I'm tired to doing estimation.

One more question, if you eat too much calories at one time, does your body absorb them ALL?

Thanks.

The amount of calories one would need to consume before it even appears possible that you wouldn't digest all of them is so high that it isn't possible to be in a calorie deficit, so for practical purposes, yes, your body absorbs all of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had 1500 calories at brunch yesterday. Very easy.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have to hold myself back at restaurants to avoid eating a 1500 calorie meal. It's very possible and very easy.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    There are cakes I make at Christmas that are well over 1,000 calories per slice (see the Death by Chocolate cookbook).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible. My husband had McDonald's the other night for dinner and I calculated his meal, including beverage to be just shy of 2,000 calories.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Possible and easy.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This was actually something I was wondering as well, sounds like it could be beneficial to eat all your stuff early in the day so your body has access to all the micros and macros constantly. I was worried I would just poop most of it out instead of absorbing it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zerojunk wrote: »
    This was actually something I was wondering as well, sounds like it could be beneficial to eat all your stuff early in the day so your body has access to all the micros and macros constantly. I was worried I would just poop most of it out instead of absorbing it.

Your body works on a 24 hour clock. It doesn't matter whether you eat that large meal early in the day, late in the day, or spread it out evenly.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not just calories. Try holding your salt at a single restaurant meal below 1200 mg. You can't do it. Every item on the menu has over 1000 mg NA.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Awesome! thanks everyone for your replies.

I've just learned it the "hard" way. Weighed myself the next day -- exactly same routine -- and saw that I gained 1.1 lbs. That is, I was disciplined and not eating anything else the rest of the day after that one big meal.

Jerome is right. The salt amount (from Souplantation) seems noticeably higher than my daily. I found myself chugging down a lot of water through out the day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I've just learned it the "hard" way. Weighed myself the next day -- exactly same routine -- and saw that I gained 1.1 lbs. That is, I was disciplined and not eating anything else the rest of the day after that one big meal.

Jerome is right. The salt amount (from Souplantation) seems noticeably higher than my daily. I found myself chugging down a lot of water through out the day.

Which is why in a day or so the water weight will likely be gone and you will be back on track with your loss pattern. This is why people use apps like trendweight to minimize the daily fluctuations that are a natural part of life.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Which is why in a day or so the water weight will likely be gone and you will be back on track with your loss pattern. This is why people use apps like trendweight to minimize the daily fluctuations that are a natural part of life.

Wow, thanks. I completely forgot about "the water weight" and could get off track due to disappointment.

I'll look up trendweight.