cold weather running gear

Options
I'm having trouble staying warm while running when it's below 25 F. I'm thinking about getting another jacket with end of season sales coming to help me next winter. Please hit me with some suggestions? The one I have right now is too light. It is and llbean windbreaker with primaloft in the torso.

Replies

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I used to live in Edmonton AB, (Canada) and winters would easily reach -25°C to -30°C while I was maintaining a dicipline running schedule.

Try some stronger material for your jacket choice and maybe try some layers. Also, the head is where you will lose majority of body heat so try wearing a touque or ear muffs (if you start heating up take it off for a while)

Also, I think some thin gloves will help your hands stay warm. And maybe try warmer socks or double layer them.

I don't know how cold is cold for you so these are just suggestions. Do what works and keeps you warm.

After my runs in -30°C I would jump into the warm shower and after I brew up a hot tea or coffee.

• acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    MN here, so our temps get fairly extreme. I prefer cold weather running tights on bottom, layers on top. Tank, l/s tee, running jacket, if it's really cold, I'll also throw on a warmer outer layer, ear protection and gloves.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    MN here, so our temps get fairly extreme. I prefer cold weather running tights on bottom, layers on top. Tank, l/s tee, running jacket, if it's really cold, I'll also throw on a warmer outer layer, ear protection and gloves.

Yes cold weather running tights for sure!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd suggest layering, rather than one warm jacket. Even better for staying warm and much more adjustable depending on the weather/your degree of exertion.

When I run in sub-freezing temperatures I generally wear:
    1. Sports bra
    2. Long-sleeved merino wool baselayer (I wear either the pricey Icebreakers ones I have for skiing or a cheapo merino-blend Paradox one from Costco)
    3. Light zip-up sweater (my favourite one is Eddie Bauer)
    4. Waterproof insulated jacket (mine's just a cheap three-season Columbia one but it cuts wind and wet like no one's business)
    5. And I add a light down vest on top if it's colder than about -10C or windy or whatever.

All the layers seem a little cumbersome, but they aren't as long as everything is body-skimming/fairly close-fitting but not skintight. I wear a warm hat or Thinsulate headband and a Buff around my neck in case I need to protect my face as well as gloves, either the thin neoprene-y ones if it's not super cold or my ski gloves if it's bad or I'm going out for a long time.

I also layer warm merino-blend leggings with a pair of sweatpants on top and wear my Smartwool hiking socks with my waterproof running shoes.

Keep your head, feet, and hands warm, layer up a bit, and you should be fine. Personally, I hate running in a ski jacket, as my torso gets too warm while everything else is still freezing, so I wouldn't recommend it.

But I admit I prefer the treadmill when it's very cold out, so my winter outdoor runs tend to be only 3-4 miles. Someone else may have better advice for long runs.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My advice is buy a treadmill. Killed myself slipping on ice last year. Bought a treadmill for this winter.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Different people need different levels of warmth/insulation. If what you currently have ins't warm enough, then get more/heavier layers.

What about a warmer base layer? Patagonia's thermal weight capiline stuff is pretty awesome, but it's pricey.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Layers........depending on how cold it is (and we get down to -35 or so occasionally in winter) for the coldest days I have a merino wool base layer (legs & torso) winter weight running tights, long sleeve running shirt, wicking half zip tops (of varying weights from fairly light to polar fleece) all topped off with a running shell (stylish fluorescent yellow) and a toque for my head and gloves (the gloves were actually the hardest part for me to get right as my hands get colder than any other part of me)

It takes a little trial and error, but you should be a little chilly at the beginning of the run as you'll warm up and don't want to overheat.

Last year we had an extremely cold January, I seldom wear a balaclava......if you dress properly you can run in practically any weather.

ovn24jplu28c.jpg

mommazach wrote: »
    My advice is buy a treadmill. Killed myself slipping on ice last year. Bought a treadmill for this winter.

I'll use my treadmill after freezing rain but that's about it.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Layers........depending on how cold it is (and we get down to -35 or so occasionally in winter) for the coldest days I have a merino wool base layer (legs & torso) winter weight running tights, long sleeve running shirt, wicking half zip tops (of varying weights from fairly light to polar fleece) all topped off with a running shell (stylish fluorescent yellow) and a toque for my head and gloves (the gloves were actually the hardest part for me to get right as my hands get colder than any other part of me)

It takes a little trial and error, but you should be a little chilly at the beginning of the run as you'll warm up and don't want to overheat.

Last year we had an extremely cold January, I seldom wear a balaclava......if you dress properly you can run in practically any weather.

ovn24jplu28c.jpg

mommazach wrote: »

I'll use my treadmill after freezing rain but that's about it.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm getting on the right track now. I think my base layer wasn't heavy enough and nor was my top layer. I'm going for zippers so I can vent myself as I warm up. I may have to invest in a balaclava for my asthma. I'm not necessarily trying to run in sub-0, but it would be nice to be able to run down to 10 degrees without too much trouble.