Carbohydrate and fat requirements

Options
Why is the daily allowance for carbohydrates and fat intake so extremely high

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would say it's not... besides if you lower your carbs and fat you'll just be making your protien intake super high... fat and carbs aren't bad. But if you want to change it you can adjust your macro percents.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not, and it doesn't matter.

They are based on the recommended range, but you can choose what you want.

High protein, low carbs and fat, is generally not a good approach, however.
  • swtvagal66
    swtvagal66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm staying within or under my daily calories allowed, but seem to always go over my allowed carb intake. Are the carbs keeping me from losing faster, or do they really matter? Any suggestions are welcome. :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    swtvagal66 wrote: »
    I'm staying within or under my daily calories allowed, but seem to always go over my allowed carb intake. Are the carbs keeping me from losing faster, or do they really matter? Any suggestions are welcome. :smile:

Carbs don't cause people to gain weight or prevent them from losing.that's a myth. Unless you have a medical condition that warrants you to restrict carbs, you shouldn't worry too much about it .
    I eat 190g of carbs per day and lost all my weight and have kept it off for 2+ yrs so far
    Carbs aren't your enemy. A calorie surplus is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

They don't matter. However, if you are high on carbs because low on protein it's worth trying to increase protein, as it helps with preserving muscle (especially if close to goal) and satiety.
  • timmyray3
    timmyray3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

The best answer is 'it depends'

The higher your ratio of body fat to lean muscle would indicate that your body may struggle to utilise carbs effectively and end up storing them. As you lose body fat your body becomes better at utilising them and you store less body fat. (this is all down to how the hormone insulin works).

Now, Thorsmom01 is right in saying that you need to stay away from a calorie surplus, you need to me consuming less calories than you expend to lose weight/bodyfat. This is the biggest factor for weight loss.

However the interplay between Carbs, Fats and Proteins also has an impact. Try a week or two where you consume less carbs but increase fats and see how your body responds. I usually get my clients to eat more fats and proteins in the mornings and then reduce fats and increase carbs as the day goes on. That usually does the trick.

But please don't make carbs out to be the enemy, as you get leaner your body will be able to utilise them better, so you should increase carbs gradually as you lose weight
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Carbs increase Insulin, which stores fat. Any questions..... :)